• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Majesty Music And Getty

• Members

Dreadful Jerry.
I remember a Christian Union meeting (1958) where after a lot of singing the speaker started - looking at my watch, it doesn't give me much time to give my address. If you want to hear what I was going to say, my address is Fairfax Avenue - you can come home with me.

I hope you ignored that watch - it is seriously ill-mannered to invite a preacher & ask him to cut short what he has prepared.

Another CU speaker said "You can have 3 items before I speak, & whatever you want after I have finished.

I prepare to speak for 25-30 minutes, usually in writing (as translation may be needed.) And I choose the hymns.

• Members

There is a Gospel Standard Bapist Church about 9 miles away and the only time I went there the preaching was for at least an hour. A Grace Baptist Church about 25 miles away had preaching for about an hour each time I viisited.

• 4 months later...
  • Members

I think it also needs to be pointed out that there is a difference between a good congregational hymn and a God honouring special song.
Some songs suit a solo or diet, while they simply become unbearable to hear a congregation try to song them.

Note that I am not suggesting that any rubbish music can be made to sound good or be God honouring, but there are some songs that honour God that sound terrible when a big group sings them.

I also wanted to say that I love hymns to the piano, but it has not always been possible for us.
For many years we were at a very small church, and singing with no music at all was very difficult - so I played guitar for our hymns.
I am not very good, but it gave us something to hold the congregation together.
Where we are now we have a larger group and can manage without any accompaniment if we have to. That is now less of a problem because my daughter is learning piano and doing very well, and adding more hymns every week. My son also often play violin with the piano, and I like it.

But I have seen music being a leader into troubled waters, both in churches and personally.
In my experience it is often the case that the compromise behind with the music and continues from there to infect other areas.
This is by no means a universal truth, but I have observed it often enough to put me on my guard.

• Members

and what could be wrong with this song?

http://www.gettymusi...hristalone.aspx

The fact that it is associated with Getty for starters! The folks who first sang it for seconds. This song was created for a subversive use, to entice fundamentalists into the ecumenical fold. It also contains blasphemies that were recently point out here.

• Members

u

The fact that it is associated with Getty for starters! The folks who first sang it for seconds. This song was created for a subversive use, to entice fundamentalists into the ecumenical fold. It also contains blasphemies that were recently point out here.

cannot stay on this site,,, praising God, Christ for the blood shed for us and you slam it. good bye,,

• Members

"Correction is grievous unto him that forsaketh the way: and he that hateth reproof shall die." - Proverbs 15:10

"For when they speak great swelling words of vanity, they allure through the lusts of the flesh, through much wantonness, those that were clean escaped from them who live in error.

While they promise them liberty, they themselves are the servants of corruption: for of whom a man is overcome, of the same is he brought in bondage.

For if after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, they are again entangled therein, and overcome, the latter end is worse with them than the beginning.

For it had been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than, after they have known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered unto them.

But it is happened unto them according to the true proverb, The dog is turned to his own vomit again; and the sow that was washed to her wallowing in the mire." - 2 Peter 2:18-22

Edited by swathdiver

• Members

and what could be wrong with this song?

http://www.gettymusi...hristalone.aspx

http://www.gettymusi...ofthecross.aspx

praise God some one is lifting up Christ and the cross.

Great songs & Scriptural - but the singing accompanied by a "pop group" is not approved by IFB - nor by me. However, play the tunes on organ or piano & they are excellent.

• Members

swathdiver, on 09 October 2012 - 06:19 PM, said: The fact that it is associated with Getty for starters! The folks who first sang it for seconds. This song was created for a subversive use, to entice fundamentalists into the ecumenical fold. It also contains blasphemies that were recently point out here.

The songs do not contain blasphemies, though the Gettys & Townend & other CCM songwriters who write scriptural hymns with tunes appropriate for congregational worship are undiscerning in their ecumenical associations. Their "crime" is "guilt by association."

cannot stay on this site,,, praising God, Christ for the blood shed for us and you slam it. good bye,,

Swathdiver writes from prejudice, not discernment nor knowledge. Actually the ecumenists have objected to the song because of its references to "the wrath of God."

The KJV translators had it right when they complained about those who objected to it because it wasn't "framed by themselves, and hammered on their Anvile"

KJV preface:

So that, if on the one side we shall be traduced by Popish persons at home or abroad, who therefore will maligne us, because we are poore Instruments to make GODS holy Trueth to be yet more and more knowen unto the people, whom they desire still to keepe in ignorance and darknesse: or if on the other side, we shall be maligned by selfe-conceited brethren, who runne their owne wayes, and give liking unto nothing but what is framed by themselves, and hammered on their Anvile; we may rest secure, supported within by the trueth and innocencie of a good conscience, having walked the wayes of simplicitie and integritie, as before the Lord; And sustained without, by the powerfull Protection of your Majesties grace and favour, which will ever give countenance to honest and Christian endevours, against bitter censures, and uncharitable imputations.
Edited by Covenanter

• Members

Great songs & Scriptural - but the singing accompanied by a "pop group" is not approved by IFB - nor by me. However, play the tunes on organ or piano & they are excellent.

what chapter and verse says organ and piano are ok but all others are not? sorry just noticed this and had to ask. I like all instruments including bag pipes on some songs. I suppose this song would be a great offense

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1nm_aWSqNs

• Members

what chapter and verse says organ and piano are ok but all others are not? sorry just noticed this and had to ask. I like all instruments including bag pipes on some songs. I suppose this song would be a great offense

Only because of the weird pictures and its promotion of pantheism. Nothing christian or scriptural in the actual video. Just the opposite. Edited by Invicta

• Members

All the references to musical instruments IN WORSHIP are included in the Old Covenant & its ritual. Up to about 150 years ago, musical instruments were not used in independent & non-episcopal churches. The "regulative principle" requiring New Covenant worship to be as directed in the NT rather than the OT, so "melody in the heart."

For practical purposes, singing requires a clear lead, & an lead instrument playing the tune makes sense. A small orchestra may sound good in its place, but of itself does not contribute to spiritual worship, but rather distracts.

I have no problem with a simple accompaniment, such as a leader with guitar where his voice provides the tune & the instrument the time.

The big problem with CCM is that the musicians take over & dominate the singing & so devalue the worship.

• Moderators

It would appear that a very ignorant white put the visuals together: just in a brief glancing I saw southwestern ornamentation, non-Cherokee headdress, and my biggest complaint was the "dream catcher" (do some study into the spiritualism involved)our people (not taking liberties there, maternal great-grandfather and paternal grandfather were both full Cherokee)were the last to "adopt" it and only for commercialization purposes.

• 4 months later...
  • Members

This has been an interesting topic to read. I've been saddened, amused, bemused, encouraged and dismayed. I'm Baptist by background though currently a member of a church that doesn't have "Baptist" in its title. I came here following a link about the Rejoice hymnal and found a discussion that displays vastly different levels of coherent interaction. The voices of reason and the voices of self-righteous, puffed up, legalistic Pharisaism.

To those of you throwing your lot in with the "guilty by association" approach, I just have this to say:

I'm sure glad you weren't around in 33 A.D. so you could question Jesus' salvation because of who He associated with during His ministry.

Y'all need to take a long hard look at what it meant to be a Pharisee in those times, because it seems to me a bunch of you would have fit right in.

Now, to hymns - would you like to discuss hymns that are published as being able to be sung to different tunes? Would you like to discuss the different tunes that have become favourites on different sides of the Atlantic for whatever reason and are therefore "familiar" to each in their own way, and "odd" in the other way, and somewhat "wrong"?

Would you like to discuss hymns written by non-Christians? Would you like to discuss hymns written by Unitarians, Universalists, or [insert doctrine you disagree with]?

I thank God He did not prescribe style of worship. Which is why it's incredible to read some of the rubbish I've seen here. God be with you.