• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Majesty Music And Getty

• Members

I couldn't tell you one hymnal from the next. I couldn't tell you the author of most hymns and I could't tell you who may be known for singing certain hymns or songs or CCM.

If I heard you singing a song that glorified God, I would notice that, and if I heard you singing a song that was unscriptural in some way, I would notice that, but I would not associate you with any particular author or singer.

Whoever chooses the hymnals for the church is responsible to make sure the content is in keeping with the views held by the church. Our church hymnals are fairly old so there couldn't be anything in them that's been written in the past 40 or so years.

Other than new churches and those who seek to stay "current", most churches don't purchase new hymnals all that often. In fact, many churches rarely use hymnals anymore since they have screens they can show the words of the hymns on which is easier for everyone to read than are the hymnals.

There have always been battles over what songs to include and exclude in hymnals. That's why there are so many different hymnals out there. Not all churches like the same hymns, not all churches reject the same songs. That's why there are certain hymnals in Methodist churches, a different one in the church on the other side of town, why this IFB church uses one hymnal but the next uses another.

The only real answer here is that each church is responsible for making sure the hymnal they purchase is worthy of the money and the songs included are ones they are in agreement with. Beyond that, there will be no great outcry, pro or con, from the many churches with regards to a particular hymnal.

• Members

If you do not know who the Getty's are, please look them up before posting.
Have you noticed that the new Majesty hymnal contains music from the Gettys/Sovereign Grace? What is your opinion on that? I find it an outrage that they are digging through garbage to find good music. I think it is sad I can't just buy a CD from a trusted source without knowing if there is CCM behind the music. Why aren't pastors stepping up and writing the Hamiltons? Why aren't we fighting for our music? Why have we stopped caring about associations? Don't people understand as soon as a weaker Christian hears you listening to something like "Amazing Grace My Chains are Gone" they will automatically assume you would listen to Chris Tomlin? We will loose my generation if we do not stand true.

I don't have the Majesty Hymnal, but I find this quite surprising. I checked out the Majesty Music website but didn't see any CD's from these CCM artists, but there is no way for me to verify that they included these songs in their hymnal.
But I certainly understand what you are saying, and I agree with you 100%. I believe the operative Scripture verse is this one:

1 Thessalonians 5:22 Abstain from all appearance of evil.

• Members

I couldn't tell you one hymnal from the next. I couldn't tell you the author of most hymns and I could't tell you who may be known for singing certain hymns or songs or CCM.

If I heard you singing a song that glorified God, I would notice that, and if I heard you singing a song that was unscriptural in some way, I would notice that, but I would not associate you with any particular author or singer.

Whoever chooses the hymnals for the church is responsible to make sure the content is in keeping with the views held by the church. Our church hymnals are fairly old so there couldn't be anything in them that's been written in the past 40 or so years.

Other than new churches and those who seek to stay "current", most churches don't purchase new hymnals all that often. In fact, many churches rarely use hymnals anymore since they have screens they can show the words of the hymns on which is easier for everyone to read than are the hymnals.

There have always been battles over what songs to include and exclude in hymnals. That's why there are so many different hymnals out there. Not all churches like the same hymns, not all churches reject the same songs. That's why there are certain hymnals in Methodist churches, a different one in the church on the other side of town, why this IFB church uses one hymnal but the next uses another.

The only real answer here is that each church is responsible for making sure the hymnal they purchase is worthy of the money and the songs included are ones they are in agreement with. Beyond that, there will be no great outcry, pro or con, from the many churches with regards to a particular hymnal.

John,
I agree with you about the principle of the autonomy of the local church.
I don't agree with you when it comes to noticing who wrote the song or music.
Just as I would never trust a book written by a neo-fundamentalist or a neo-evangelical to be completely accurate on theology, so I would never trust a song written by a CCM artist to be worth anything.
And Melodys is right - when we sing the songs written by CCM artists in our church, we are condoning their music - whether we wish to or not. Just because you personally don't pay attention to the author of the song does not mean that others don't. Most people do - and associate what we sing in church as the "standard" for what is acceptable outside of church. We must be extremely careful about the message we send by what we put our "stamp of approval" on in the church setting.

IN Christ,

• Members

I highly dislike it when a modern song write will take a old great hymn, such as amazing Grace, them butcher it to pieces, adding their take, & even chancing the music.

It shows Bible study being able to tell if a song is up to par or not by listening to it, that should be complimented, not put down.

Many of us out here is rural American have never heard of such people at the Getty's, & many others, this is the 1st time I have heard the name, & of them doing such damage to a great old hymn.

PS. There's many of us that don't keep up with the world, especially flashy singers. out here in the back side of rural America. That is we pick & chose what we let into our minds.

• Members

John,
I agree with you about the principle of the autonomy of the local church.
I don't agree with you when it comes to noticing who wrote the song or music.
Just as I would never trust a book written by a neo-fundamentalist or a neo-evangelical to be completely accurate on theology, so I would never trust a song written by a CCM artist to be worth anything.
And Melodys is right - when we sing the songs written by CCM artists in our church, we are condoning their music - whether we wish to or not. Just because you personally don't pay attention to the author of the song does not mean that others don't. Most people do - and associate what we sing in church as the "standard" for what is acceptable outside of church. We must be extremely careful about the message we send by what we put our "stamp of approval" on in the church setting.

IN Christ,

I wasn't disagreeing with what Melody stated, only pointing out that I have no idea who the author is of most songs. In my own experience, most in the congregation don't know who the author is of most songs they sing. Typically, only those more musically inclined pay that much attention to such matters. Even when it comes to knowing the author of a song, I've noticed most people know little to nothing about the author.

In any event, the main point I was trying to make is that since there is no unity among the churches when it comes to music, there will be no common outcry, for or against, any particular hymnal. That leaves it to each church to be very careful with regards to selecting hymnals.

Even the Sword of the Lord made changes to a good old hymnal when they put out a new edition. Many folks didn't even notice, but there were those who did take note of the changes.

No matter the source of the hymnal, in todays climate I think we have to be very cautious before making a purchase.

I know nothing about hymnal companies, but I know there are hymnals out there today which contain many CCM, Southern Gospel and other modern songs. I also know many churches are not buying new hymnals and some newer churches don't even have hymnals. This is because most churches today have some form of video screen where they show the words to the hymns and hymnals are becoming far less used.

Whether it's a church, pastor, book, hymnal or song, we each have to be careful and each church needs to be careful too. I've heard of several occasions where a pastor will recommend a book from the pulpit only to find out later there is stuff in the book that's not in line with Scripture or that teaches a topic differently tha he does.

In our church no music is played without first being approved by one or both of our pastors. This includes music for weddings, which upsets some folks who seem to think they should be able to play whatever they want at their wedding they have decided to have in our church. Our pastors remain firm on this matter, if a song the couple wishes to play is inappropriate for the church they have the choice to drop that song or if they want that song played they can have their wedding someplace else.

• Members

I highly dislike it when a modern song write will take a old great hymn, such as amazing Grace, them butcher it to pieces, adding their take, & even chancing the music.

It shows Bible study being able to tell if a song is up to par or not by listening to it, that should be complimented, not put down.

Many of us out here is rural American have never heard of such people at the Getty's, & many others, this is the 1st time I have heard the name, & of them doing such damage to a great old hymn.

PS. There's many of us that don't keep up with the world, especially flashy singers. out here in the back side of rural America. That is we pick & chose what we let into our minds.

Last week someone said the name of a popular singer and I had no idea what they were talking about. I asked them what that was! They said the name again and said they were a top singer. I told them I never heard of them and asked what they sing. Apparently some type of modern popular music. I still can't even remember their name.

When it comes to modern music, I don't know much about it at all. Other than knowing some modern country singers, because most of my family and others in the area listen to country music so I hear some about them, I don't know this modern stuff.

A couple years ago I heard a song in a store, I was with my sister and niece, and I said something about that's something new, and they both looked at me strangely and said that song was a few years old. Well, it was new to me! I don't want to listen to what the world listens to and I don't care who the latest "stars" are.

• Members

If you do not know who the Getty's are, please look them up before posting.
Have you noticed that the new Majesty hymnal contains music from the Gettys/Sovereign Grace? What is your opinion on that? I find it an outrage that they are digging through garbage to find good music. I think it is sad I can't just buy a CD from a trusted source without knowing if there is CCM behind the music. Why aren't pastors stepping up and writing the Hamiltons? Why aren't we fighting for our music? Why have we stopped caring about associations? Don't people understand as soon as a weaker Christian hears you listening to something like "Amazing Grace My Chains are Gone" they will automatically assume you would listen to Chris Tomlin? We will loose my generation if we do not stand true.

I own Rejoice Hymns which is the latest hymnal from Majesty Music. Can you tell me a hymn in it from Sovereign Grace?

• Members

What is this "Sovereign Grace" you speak of?

Music publisher working on getting CCM into the few remaining churches that are taking a stand. I find it very frustrating that Majesty has done this. I'm going to make sure our church leadership and the leaders of a few other churches that have used their materials in the past are made aware of this.

• Members

Music publisher working on getting CCM into the few remaining churches that are taking a stand. I find it very frustrating that Majesty has done this. I'm going to make sure our church leadership and the leaders of a few other churches that have used their materials in the past are made aware of this.

Thank you. I had not heard of them.

• Members

But you have to realize, the teenagers do! I know people who justify listening to CCM because they heard the song sung by someone else (that person could have not even known where it came from, and sang it innocently!)

• Members

Last week someone said the name of a popular singer and I had no idea what they were talking about. I asked them what that was! They said the name again and said they were a top singer. I told them I never heard of them and asked what they sing. Apparently some type of modern popular music. I still can't even remember their name.

When it comes to modern music, I don't know much about it at all. Other than knowing some modern country singers, because most of my family and others in the area listen to country music so I hear some about them, I don't know this modern stuff.

A couple years ago I heard a song in a store, I was with my sister and niece, and I said something about that's something new, and they both looked at me strangely and said that song was a few years old. Well, it was new to me! I don't want to listen to what the world listens to and I don't care who the latest "stars" are.

I'm not going to post much under this topic, I don't believe I can really add much to it.

When reading this post you made replying to my post reminded me of what use to be my favorite Baptist Christian Book Store. I have made comments about them selling literature that goes 100 % against the teachings we stand for. They also sell musical CD's by singers that are nothing but trash & would not be in a good Baptist Christian Book Store that only wants to promote God's truths.

Before they got so bad I bought much literature from them, & any time I was over there I would stop in & browse around. Now I hardly ever enter the place for I have to wade though to much junk them generally worn out from that & give up leaving before I find anything worth taking home.

Sad thing is, many other Baptist Christian Book Stores have gone down the same path, its generally all about making the bucks, & when that happens many people, even Christians that were once good Christians, become blind.