• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

• Members

By the way, thanks for revealing the teaching of Ambassador College, I know now why I would not recommend it.

whoa, what teaching, and why do you not recommend it? ABC is against women wearing pants, we were required to wear skirts that covered our knees at all times... or really long culottes. ABC has the strictest dress standard of any college I have ever been to. Edited by Melodys

• Members

Standing Firm - Just for clarification, what is your position. Yeah or No to women in pants.

BTW - I agree with most of what you have said.
Pastorj,

I am not against women in slacks ...if those slacks are modest. My wife wears slacks and believe me, they are modest, There are slacks out there that are made for women that do not give them a "sexy" appeal.

Question, weren't men and women wearing robes alike in OT times? It had to be something that adorned the robes that identified it as a woman's garment as opposed to a man's garment, I would think. That takes us back to Deuteronomy 22:5. The word "pertaineth" in that verse had a wide variety of definitions attached to it, and could mean an apparatus, armor, etc., etc.. Edited by Standing Firm In Christ

• Members

I am shocked Kitagrl. I never would have thought you would have come to the Biblical position on this argument :hide:

Just kidding. Glad you are on my side :clap:

Now you just gotta talk my hubby into it. ;-) No really, I was raised that way, and then got changed at Fairhaven (which FYI is probably stricter than any other college with dress) and over the years of looking into the topic and talking about it with others, have come to the conclusion I was raised the right way.

Of course, to do as my hub says is safe...its not WRONG to wear skirts and dresses. So, its not like I'm living wrong. It would be nice to be able to wear loose pants to work in, but one of those things. My friend who wears pants points out that she's seen a lot more of my legs than I've seen of hers LOL but then my husband countered back (for my ears only) that he's seen a lot more of her butt (not purposely) than her husband's seen of mine. haha.

Modesty is always right, I guess....

• Members

PastorJ I will say you did have a big part in my ideas because I figure that anything I'm not able to back up from Scripture on a message board, I can't back up in real life, and thus, will not be able to properly teach anyone why I do what I do if I cannot do that.

The only thing I can say is that 1. My clothing is modest, which is Biblical. 2. I'm obeying my husband, which is Biblical. and 3. I'm making sure our church members do not stumble or get offended, which is Biblical.

• Members

Melody,

Kitagrl and I have gone through this argument and it would be good reading to do a search.

i have, but there are so many differing views! I have just gone to wearing skirts because I would rather be too strict than not strict enough. I am not convinced it is cross dressing, but its the modesty issue I am worried about. Some guys say it causes them to stumble, while others say it doesn't, and they let their wives and children wear pants. It's a tough topic, and I'm guessing thats why so many disagree.

• Members

My friend (who wears pants) told me she feels like women who have to wear dresses all the time are being punished for being a girl. Now, that is somewhat feministic thinking..... but I see where she is coming from.

I came to the conclusion that as long as my husband wants me to not wear pants...well, he has the right to ask me to cover my body like that.... and I am pleasing the Lord by doing as he asks and by being modest. God DOES ask us to be different and to be apart from the world...and I was convicted the other night about being "covetous" which in my case would be coveting to wear clothing that I cannot wear....so really, modesty is a good thing and pleases the Lord.

Wearing pants may be okay, but its much closer to the "line" and many people would prefer to be farther from the "line" with standards, rather than closer.

• Members

The causing to stumble is a lame argument

If you study these scriptures you will find the following:
1. It is to prevent the "Weaker Brother" from stumbling (Basically a new Christian)
2. It is to prevent them from sinning - Since wearing pants isn't a sin, you are causing them to sin.

• Members

1. It is to prevent the "Weaker Brother" from stumbling (Basically a new Christian)
2. It is to prevent them from sinning - Since wearing pants isn't a sin, you are causing them to sin.

Not really, since my husband preaches about modesty (not really pants so much) and people know I always wear skirts...for me to lower my standard may make them feel we are compromising or something.

As a pastor's family we try to keep our living above reproach. For someone not a pastor, I think the "stumble" thing wouldn't be as important but as a pastor's family, my husband wants us to be above reproach.

Same thing with movies. We've discussed it, and he cannot necessarily prove that it is sinful to go see a movie, but yet he would prefer our family not go just to stay above reproach.

I think God is pleased with it, even if its a higher standard than your family has.....it doesn't mean God looks down on you, but I'm sure He's not displeased with us at the same time. We have our standards because they are what my husband believes is right, not because we are trying to be better than anyone else.

• Members

So you don't think that wearing pants could cause a weaker brother to stumble?

My friend (who wears pants) told me she feels like women who have to wear dresses all the time are being punished for being a girl. Now, that is somewhat feministic thinking..... but I see where she is coming from.

I came to the conclusion that as long as my husband wants me to not wear pants...well, he has the right to ask me to cover my body like that.... and I am pleasing the Lord by doing as he asks and by being modest. God DOES ask us to be different and to be apart from the world...and I was convicted the other night about being "covetous" which in my case would be coveting to wear clothing that I cannot wear....so really, modesty is a good thing and pleases the Lord.

Wearing pants may be okay, but its much closer to the "line" and many people would prefer to be farther from the "line" with standards, rather than closer.

Maybe I'll just wait to see if I get married, then I'll have him make my decision haha ;)

• Members

Still a bad argument.

My wife never wore pants when I was a Pastor, but it wasn't to prevent someone from stumbling. It was simply because I asked her not to. We set an example. I never wore shorts and a tshirt out in public.

My boss wears a tie every day, not because he has to. Certain positions require you to dress differently. So my wife and I dressed more conservative than most.