• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

• Members

Especially at college, I hear a lot of differing opinions about women and pants. Some say women are cross-dressing when they wear pants, but is that really so? Some also say that pants cause men to struggle more than a skirt does, is that true as well? I've heard men go both ways on this subject. I'd like some (biblical!) opinions so I can form my own.

• Members

Yes! Yes! Yes.

Biblical opinion! Women should not wear that which pertains to men, abomination unto the LORD thy God, De. 22:5. Yet most will say that does not count.

Of course I must say this. In our day & time, the big majority have grown up accustomed to women wearing anything they want, & they to have worn anything they want, & that makes us prejudices when we take on the Bible, & what it says about this subject. And we do not want to change, even for God, so we just keep on believing as the world has taught us, resisting the wisdom from above.

That's MHO only.

Of course we do have grace, & liberty too. Yet, we do not live to self, & we need to be careful, & never make a weak brother or sister stumble by what we do.

One thing I never understood about my mother. And I never thought to ask here about this while she was still living. My mother never wore a dress, she though it was wrong, but she bought pants for my sister.

Let me add, my sister had many problems, cause by something that happen when she was about 6, & I was about 1 & 3/4 year of age. Maybe mother did this to try help her. Of course that's just a guess.

Oh, grandmother never had a pair of pants on either, for the same reason as mother.

• Members

Pants on women, an age-old argument. One must consider, as Jerry said, that in these modern times we have grown accustomed to women wearing pants, but there was a time when it was unheard of by decent women.

As for Deut 22:5, we need to take it for what it says instead of trying to explain all the other reasons it doesn't say it! I believe it is abomination. Consider that there are now pants made specifically for women, but most will also wear men's jeans! One is as good or bad as the other. What we wear will not keep us out of heaven, of course, but that is not the point; the point is how far do we go to please the Lord and obey His Word? People get all up in arms about divorce, long hair, and pants, but why not just do what it says instead of stubbornly rejecting it, no matter what the reason? You can't go wrong by taking it literally and applying it righteously.

Now for your question: It is a little touchy, but maybe needs to be said. Pants on a woman draw a mans eyes to her private area, even as he sees her walking toward him. A dress does not reveal her shape to that extent, so yes, it can cause complications. I apologize, but I know no more delicate way to say it, and get the point across. Some men will, no doubt, deny that this is so, but they are afraid to admit it openly I presume. At any rate, they know what I am talking about.

By the way, thanks for revealing the teaching of Ambassador College, I know now why I would not recommend it.

Edited by irishman

• Members

This has been discussed many times. I would suggest a search. Kitagrl and I have gone round and round on this topic. :boxing:

LOL PastorJ...the bad thing is that I have come around to your viewpoint (its the way I was raised, after all, the exact same viewpoint) but it doesn't do me much good practically speaking. hahahahaha

I'm refraining from this topic......other than to say my husband's MAIN problem with pants is exactly what Irishman said. My husband tells me he thinks I look great in pants (whatever)....however, with that said, he doesn't want other men thinking that. LOL. Pants show a woman's private areas and he feels that is something that should not be out in public. Since I'm not a man, I'll have to take his word for that!

• Members

The fact it keeps coming up is proof it's an important topic yet in need of study and discussion.

Myself, I've never yet seen pants on a woman that looked modest. They may have covered their skin but they are always too form fitting. The pants on women are even worse if they are "women's pants" because such pants are purposefully cut to form fit and enhance the female figure. If the women are wearing "men's pants", then beside the modest issue, there is now the problem of women wearing men's clothes.

• Members

Here is what you do, ask God what is appropriate. God will get you to eliminate what He sees as inappropriate, even if we are wearing inappropriate skirts, He did it with me.

If you truly looked at the way worldly women present themselves wearing pants you can see God's view on the matter and that it isn't very attractive, plus it introduces lust to the eyes of men.

• Moderators

Biblically, we have three principles to consider. One is not to wear 'that which pertaineth unto a man" (Deut. 22:5), the second is the injunction to dress in modest apparel (1 Tim. 2:9), and the third is the consideration we must take to not cause another to stumble (Rom. 14:21).

For my :twocents:, I honestly believe that we can no longer count pants as men's apparel. Yes, they used to be so, but so did tights and robes. The culture has changed. If we count the references to breeches as part of the priest's attire as being proof of pants being for men, then we have to count any bivurcated garment as being men's clothing too - including leggings and longjohns. Brr!

Where modesty is concerned, I think that a decent skirt (long, full) is always going to be more modest than any pants. Unless you're skiing. Or unless the pants are salwar kameez (don't think there's anything much more modest than the old-fashioned Indian ladies clothing!). That's my main reason for wearing skirts.

The third consideration has already been discussed on this thread, so I won't bother speaking to that. I really don't think we need the 'pertaineth unto a man' argument against wearing pants - considerations of modesty and not causing offense provide quite enough reasons against them IMO.

• Members

I've joked with my husband that "modesty" means "not drawing attention to one's self" and wearing funky long skirts does precisely that. hahaha. All joking aside, Salyan has a GREAT post.

I actually had to get a couple pair of capri's because I was at the chiropractor and I wore a skirt the first time. He put a towel over my legs and commented that it would be helpful if I did NOT wear a skirt next time, since it was too hard to adjust and stretch my back with a skirt. I bought some really cute tunic style tops that went completely over/covering my rear end and my crotch area. It was modest enough to wear to the chiropractor but still hubby says nowhere else, for the two precise reasons Salyan points out...one, because even though its more modest than most people wear pants, its still draws attention to my thighs and butt, and looks "cute" which he says other guys don't need to notice......and, two, it could be a stumbling block to others, esp as he is a pastor and preaches on modesty...and if his wife is regularly going around in pants, then that's not a good example of modesty, and the church people will always take standards several steps looser than the preacher, anyway.

PastorJ should feel happy that I have gone back to agreeing with him (and my own dad) in this matter though hahahaha.

As far as "modesty" in "not drawing attention to one's self" I do try to wear knee length or otherwise "normal-ish" looking skirts so that it, at least sorta, looks like I'm dressing that way on purpose (i.e. not for "religious reasons"). In the winter I try to wear cute tights and shoes with the skirts. In the summer its easier. Although, when it comes down to it, I still do "stand out" which I guess is what God wants. I was just reading last night how we are to "bear his reproach" and I feel that these days, women are really having to do that if they want to live a holy life. Men do not have to worry about the "reproach" of dress like women do. Its easy for men to tell women how to dress...its much more difficult (although certainly possible, and good) for women to bear their own reproach in looking "different" than everyone else.

I do try to dress at least sort of nice...I find it upsetting that sometimes the strictest preachers as far as dress will have a dowdily-dressed wife and then he sees so many sexy girls on the "outside" that eventually he falls...when his wife could have very well dressed nicer for him if he had allowed her. I know its a fine line, but I've seen too many Christian guys "fall".....

• Members

Deuteronomy 22:5 (KJV) The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God.

This is part of the Old Testament Law.

If one is going to put themselves under one law found within the Mosaic Law, then one needs to obey the other 612 laws found within the Mosaic Law. If you are guilty of one, you are guilty of all.

But be forewarned, Paul said "For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them." Galatians 3:10 (KJV)

According to Paul, those women who use Deuteronomy 22:5 as their reason for not wearing pants are under a curse.

• Moderators

As to pants drawing attention to the private area and causing men to lust, the exact opposite could be said. Pants on men can cause a woman to lust after him.

Yah, but generally women aren't as visual as men. I see a guy wearing something immodest (and yes, there are immodest clothes for guys) I don't get attracted - I get disgusted.