• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

A Limited Message Or A Limited Fellowship

• Members
(first published by the FBIS in January 12, 1997) (David Cloud, Fundamental Baptist Information Service, P.O. Box 610368, Port Huron, MI 48061, 866-295-4143, fbns@wayoflife.org; for instructions about subscribing and unsubscribing or changing addresses, see the information paragraph at the end of the article) -

[The following important challenge is by the late Pastor David Nettleton and was published by the General Association of Regular Baptist Churches in 1968 as a reprint from the December 1955 issue of the
Baptist Bulletin. Nettleton was President of Faith Baptist Bible College, Ankeny, Iowa, from 1965-1980. The sermon was one of a series of reports that were published in the 1960s to express the GARBC’s “core values” at the time. Sadly, there has been a collapse of separatism within this association over the last couple of decades and the following message no longer represents their guiding principle, though it still represents solid biblical truth. Many good churches and pastors left the GARBC because of its slide away from scriptural separation.]

A Limited Message or a Limited Fellowship
By David Nettleton

“I am pure from the blood of all men. For I have not shunned to declare unto you all the counsel of God.” Acts 20:27

This message, like many, is born out of an experience. It may be some others are going through similar experiences. Therefore, let me recount the one which brought this message to light.

I was brought up as a Presbyterian. I was saved at a college which was interdenominational in student body, but was managed by the Church of the Brethren. From there I went to a seminary which was not a denominational school, and from there to another seminary which was United Presbyterian. I entered the Baptist pastorate with no Baptist training except that which came from reading of the Scriptures.

View the full article

• Members

This is a major problem. Many call for "unity", saying only the Gospel matters, but even then, there is not always agreement upon just what the Gospel message is and what is necessary for salvation! For many, their idea of the Gospel message and being saved amounts to no more than saying one must say a prayer to "accept Jesus into their heart" (ever see that in Scripture?) and that if anyone says they "believe in Jesus", they are our brothers/sisters in Christ. This is why Catholics are now accepted as Christians and why we see the growing trend of accepting Mormons as Christians.

Scripture calls for unity among like-minded believers, not for unity among them and anyone who remotely claimes to be a Christian.

How much "unity" can there be between a homosexual Episcopal priest, a Mary worshipping Catholic, a Mormon who thinks he can ascend to the same "godhood" as he believes Jesus once did, a worldly Methodist and those who are actually born again in Christ, believe the whole Word of God and strive to live in accord with God's Word?

• Members

His people have been called by Him, but they have been called TO Him. This is a call to Christ, not to a church or a doctrine or a ceremony or a ritual. It is a call to a Person. "Come unto Me all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest" (Matthew 11:28-30). Tragically there are those today who are trusting in the plan of salvation for rest. They have learned the truths concerning the birth, the life, the death, the resurrection of Christ. They have learned that men and women who believe in these truths are saved. They have intellectually consented to truth, but they have stopped there. It has been a call to truth and not a call to a Person. The plan of salvation does not save; it only directs us to the Saviour. "He that hath the Son hath life" (1 John 5:12). The Bible does not say, "He that hath the 'truth.'" Salvation is in a Person; the Lord Jesus Christ.

--Paris Reidhead (Missionary, pastor, teacher. Known for his sermon "Ten Shekels and a Shirt").

Unlimited fellowship...with God and His Word. Limited association with those who would exclude (intolerant of) God's whole council. Jerry is absolutely right in this regard, he is always preaching separation from the apostasy described in this article.

• Members

Unlimited fellowship...with God and His Word. Limited association with those who would exclude (intolerant of) God's whole council. Jerry is absolutely right in this regard, he is always preaching separation from the apostasy described in this article.

It's a sad thing that among most professing Christians today, "separation" has come to be a dirty word while "unity" and "tolerance" have come to be lifted up to almost holy status.

We can only have true, biblical unity with those who are born again in Christ and stand upon the whole Word of God.

We can have limited association with some true believers who we are not in 100% agreement with on certain matters.

For those who outright reject key aspects of Scripture, who are unsound with regards to salvation, who yoke with the world, who yoke with false religionists, who accept that which is ungodly, there must be separation.

• Members

Hardly anyone want to separate, & obey the call to come out from among them.

1Co 5:9 ¶ I wrote unto you in an epistle not to company with fornicators:
1Co 5:10 Yet not altogether with the fornicators of this world, or with the covetous, or extortioners, or with idolaters; for then must ye needs go out of the world.
1Co 5:11 But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat.

2Th 3:14 And if any man obey not our word by this epistle, note that man, and have no company with him, that he may be ashamed.

Few, very few, if any, obey this, they always use some excuse not to obey this.

2:15 Therefore, brethren, stand fast, and hold the traditions which ye have been taught, whether by word, or our epistle.

We only want to stand fast, when we want to, & let someone point out they're doing wrong, & there is a blow up, usually letting you know how sorry & low down of a person you are.

So most people never shun no one, no matter what they do.

• Members

It's so much easier to ignore Scripture, talk about "God is love" and "Jesus preached love", and then go about as if Jesus were some sort of hippy flower child who preached a "think positive and spread love" message.

It's because Jesus loves us, because God loves us and is jealous for us, that Christians are commanded to separate from wickedness, false teachings and the wayward who refuse helpful attempts to restore them. That's true love, not the worldly "flower power" nonsense that says to "tolerate" anyone and anything in the name of "unity".