• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

• Members

The pastor preached on tithing.

Now, he knows my wife and I don't tithe. We do not believe it is a New Testament teaching for Christians. The Apostles never taught it in any of their epistles.

Now, mind you it is not that he preached on tithing that upset us, he has preached on tithing in the past. What upset us is an out and out lie he told in his pulpit.

He told the congregation that he does not know who tithes and who does not.

The fact is, he knows my wife and I don't tithe. He has cornered me in the past and told me we need to start tithing. So his statement that he doesn't know who tithes and who does not was an out and out lie.

Truth be known, no one in the Church tithes... even when they put 10% of their money in one of those white and green "Tithes" envelopes, so the whole sermon was built upon a lie.

Edited by Standing Firm In Christ

• Members

Now, he knows my wife and I don't tithe. We do not believe it is a New Testament teaching for Christians. The Apostles never taught it in any of their epistles.

Now, mind you it is not that he preached on tithing that upset us, he has preached on tithing in the past. What upset us is an out and out lie he told in his pulpit.

The fact is, he knows my wife and I don't tithe. He has cornered me in the past and told me we need to start tithing. So his statement that he doesn't know who tithes and who does not was an out and out lie.

Truth be known, no one in the Church tithes... even when they put 10% of their money in one of those white and green "Tithes" envelopes, so the whole sermon was built upon a lie.

I agree, there's many that claims to tithe, that do not, even though they claim to, while calling for everyone else to do as they do.

I wonder, how hard it is for the rich man that makes millions every year to give 10% of his millions to the church he is a member of?

• Members

Well if your as outspoken with your opinions on the subject at your church as you are on this forum it is little wonder he knows. Perhaps he merely means he does not count or generally see who gives what in the offerings. Many pastors try to avoid that for obvious reasons when possible. Makes it easier on them and on others as well.

• Members

Well if your as outspoken with your opinions on the subject at your church as you are on this forum it is little wonder he knows. Perhaps he merely means he does not count or generally see who gives what in the offerings. Many pastors try to avoid that for obvious reasons when possible. Makes it easier on them and on others as well.
Actually, I am not outspoken at Church. The pastor sits at a place where he sees most of what goes on it the congregation. I doubt he can see the amount that everyone puts in the plate.

We only give cash, and we do not put it in envelopes. The only way he could have known that we don't tithe is for him to have discussed the finances with our treasurer. And he did indeed corner me in the past and tell me I needed to start tithing.

Since he knows that I don't tithe, I believe he knows if others are not tithing as well.

• Members

*Groan* Not again. This thread will be locked soon, I imagine.

If you think your pastor is a liar, then maybe you should find a church you are happy with. Although I will say that you should be careful...if your pastor is truly God's chosen pastor for your church, God will not be happy with anyone who calls His man a liar.

• Members

Just because the pastor of your church knows that YOU don't tithe doesn't mean that he knows what EVERYONE gives or doesn't give.....
And since we don't really know all the details to when/why/how the pastor "cornered" you about "tithing" we really can't comment too much....there are two sides to every story you know!

We know what you believe about it....why do keep bringing this subject up?

• Members

I want to add that ANYONE who has THIS LARGE of a personal problem with tithing, pastoral salary, or any other giving issues has a bad attitude and needs to get right with God.

Its okay not not believe in tithing...its okay to have personal beliefs in other areas...but when it becomes an all-consuming dissatisfaction, then it becomes a personal problem...not the pastor's problem...not a forum's problem...and not anyone else's problem.

Its always safest to be generous with God. Always. I would rather give too much than give too little. And I dare say if your pastor wants you to tithe, it is for YOUR benefit...NOT his. My husband, the few times he has preached on giving, tells people over and over that the preaching is for THEIR benefit, so God will bless THEIR lives....not his own benefit.

• Members

*Groan* Not again. This thread will be locked soon, I imagine.

If you think your pastor is a liar, then maybe you should find a church you are happy with. Although I will say that you should be careful...if your pastor is truly God's chosen pastor for your church, God will not be happy with anyone who calls His man a liar.
Kitagirl, it is obvious he lied. You were not there, I was. My wife was.

Do you really believe God wants His people to be led by a deceitful pastor? Edited by Standing Firm In Christ

• Members

I want to add that ANYONE who has THIS LARGE of a personal problem with tithing, pastoral salary, or any other giving issues has a bad attitude and needs to get right with God.

Its okay not not believe in tithing...its okay to have personal beliefs in other areas...but when it becomes an all-consuming dissatisfaction, then it becomes a personal problem...not the pastor's problem...not a forum's problem...and not anyone else's problem.

Its always safest to be generous with God. Always. I would rather give too much than give too little. And I dare say if your pastor wants you to tithe, it is for YOUR benefit...NOT his. My husband, the few times he has preached on giving, tells people over and over that the preaching is for THEIR benefit, so God will bless THEIR lives....not his own benefit.
The problem is not with either my giving or my wife's. We give to the needs of the Church when we have the money to give. But before we give to the Church, we provide for the family first. If any provide not for his own house he is worse than an infidel.

I will not neglect my family's needs for the Church. God's Word tells me they are first and foremost when it comes to meeting needs.

• Administrators

You were not there, I was. My wife was.

Do you really believe God wants His people to be led by a deceitful pastor?

You are right, we were not there and we do not know your pastor. That is why this topic is really makes no sense being posted here.

• Members

Actually, I am not outspoken at Church. The pastor sits at a place where he sees most of what goes on it the congregation. I doubt he can see the amount that everyone puts in the plate.

We only give cash, and we do not put it in envelopes. The only way he could have known that we don't tithe is for him to have discussed the finances with our treasurer. And he did indeed corner me in the past and tell me I needed to start tithing.

Since he knows that I don't tithe, I believe he knows if others are not tithing as well.

He may well set in such a place yet never pay attention to who puts what in the collection plate.

In past years I've taken up the collection, that was before I was a pastor, & I never paid no attention to what was put in by who, & I still don't.

MHO, he should never corner a member telling them they should tithe, he actually should never know if you do or not, unless you tell him.

And yes, I know, some pastors that feels everything is their business & they lord over everyone & everything. IMHO that is a no no.

I was asked in my interview what I thought about tithing, & a pastor preaching on money very often. My answer was, no, I do not believe in tithing, & no, I don't feel a pastor should preach on money very often, but there would be appropriated times for that, & it should not be avoided. We are to be cheerful givers, & we should support our church, & the mission God gives it, & we are not to go outside of our church soliciting, begging, others church members, lost people, to support this church.

Its unbelievable at the number of churches that are soliciting money for everyone & anyone that comes along, just nearly begging.

I recall a well know TV & radio pastor a few years ago, he stated, "Our church is going though a rough time, our expenses have been way up, I'm begging anyone out there to please help support this church, we are hurting.

• Members

Thers

Kitagirl, it is obvious he lied. You were not there, I was. My wife was.

Do you really believe God wants His people to be led by a deceitful pastor?

There is not a pastor in this world who has not lied, sinned nor will there ever be. Thank God for His grace that supersedes that of disgruntled church members as I am sure if stoning were still allowed there would lie a dead and stoned Pastor in many a church!!

• Members

Thers

There is not a pastor in this world who has not lied, sinned nor will there ever be. Thank God for His grace that supersedes that of disgruntled church members as I am sure if stoning were still allowed there would lie a dead and stoned Pastor in many a church!!
Paul told Timothy the bishop is to be above reproach.

Well, when they out and out lie from the pulpit, they are not above reproach.

And are therefore unqualified to fill the position. Edited by Standing Firm In Christ