• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Requirement For Salvation?

• Members

When dealing with unlearned individuals, I take them through a quick tour of Scriptures, and I mean quick. Basically, I start in Genesis and deal with the fall (Why we need a Savior). I take them to Isaiah to show them the prophecy of the Savior. I take them to the Gospels and show them the Savior. Then I get into the Romans Road.

Too much easy believism or quick prayerism going on these days.

A very sound (biblical) approach much more likely to bring one to repentance unto salvation than the simplistic "just say a prayer" approach which leads to so many false "converts".

• Members

I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am he, ye shall die in your sins. (John 8:24)

The phrase "I am" occurs 24 times in the Gospel of John alone. Out of the 24 times, it is used with a predicate 17 times. Out of the 24 times it is used, it is used 7 times without a predicate; this is referred to as an "absolute" in New Testament grammar. These absolutes are found in Jn.8:24,28; 8:58; 13:19; 18:5,6,8.

John 8:24 uses the predicate absolute "I am" (ego eimi) which is equivalent to the LXX's rendering of the "I AM" used in Exodus 3:14a... ("And God said unto Moses, I AM [ego eimi] THAT I AM [ho on] : and he said , Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM [ho on] hath sent me unto you.")

In short, Jesus said that if you do not believe that He is I AM (Yahweh God), you will die in your sins.

God Bless!

Trell - yes, one must believe and confess that Jesus is God in order to be saved.

Yes.
Hebrews 11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

• Members

I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am he, ye shall die in your sins. (John 8:24)

The phrase "I am" occurs 24 times in the Gospel of John alone. Out of the 24 times, it is used with a predicate 17 times. Out of the 24 times it is used, it is used 7 times without a predicate; this is referred to as an "absolute" in New Testament grammar. These absolutes are found in Jn.8:24,28; 8:58; 13:19; 18:5,6,8.

John 8:24 uses the predicate absolute "I am" (ego eimi) which is equivalent to the LXX's rendering of the "I AM" used in Exodus 3:14a... ("And God said unto Moses, I AM [ego eimi] THAT I AM [ho on] : and he said , Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM [ho on] hath sent me unto you.")

In short, Jesus said that if you do not believe that He is I AM (Yahweh God), you will die in your sins.

God Bless!

Them, those that pail preached to were misled.

Ro 10:8 But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach;
Ro 10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
Ro 10:10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.
Ro 10:11 For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.

• Members

Then because the appelative "lord" is used, that says someone must believe Jesus is God? Then what about where Sarah calls Abraham lord? Does that make Abraham God? (I am speaking as a fool. I know Abraham is not God.)

• Members

Then because the appelative "lord" is used, that says someone must believe Jesus is God? Then what about where Sarah calls Abraham lord? Does that make Abraham God? (I am speaking as a fool. I know Abraham is not God.)

Really big difference between "Lord" and "lord".

• Members

John 8:21 (KJV) Then said Jesus again unto them, I go my way, and ye shall seek me, and shall die in your sins: whither I go, ye cannot come.
22 Then said the Jews, Will he kill himself? because he saith, Whither I go, ye cannot come.
23 And he said unto them, Ye are from beneath; I am from above: ye are of this world; I am not of this world.
24 I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am he, ye shall die in your sins.

Who was Jesus talking about when He said "if ye believe not that I am He..."? I believe He was speaking of His deity here in this passage.

• Members

John 8:21 (KJV) Then said Jesus again unto them, I go my way, and ye shall seek me, and shall die in your sins: whither I go, ye cannot come.
22 Then said the Jews, Will he kill himself? because he saith, Whither I go, ye cannot come.
23 And he said unto them, Ye are from beneath; I am from above: ye are of this world; I am not of this world.
24 I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am he, ye shall die in your sins.

Who was Jesus talking about when He said "if ye believe not that I am He..."? I believe He was speaking of His deity here in this passage.

No doubt, in order to be saved one must believe in the biblical Jesus. If one says they believe in Jesus, but don't believe Him to be God, they are not believing upon the Jesus of Scripture.

• Members

No doubt, in order to be saved one must believe in the biblical Jesus. If one says they believe in Jesus, but don't believe Him to be God, they are not believing upon the Jesus of Scripture.
So true.

Too many are fooled into following a false Christ this day and age. Jesus said many would come in His name saying, "Lo, He is here, or Lo, He is there" He went on to say, (and I'm paraphrasing) "Don't believe them".

If the attributes and characteristics of the Christ they are presenting don't line up with the attributes and characteristics of the Christ of the Bible, reject the Christ they are presenting. They know not God, nor His Christ.

• Members

The answer to your question is found several times within this thread.

That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. (Romans 10:9-10)

The title of Lord is a title of Deity! How do we know this?

But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him. (1 Corinthians 8:6)

This verse states clearly that the ONE LORD is Jesus Christ, and yet we find that the ONE LORD is also God the Father.

And Jesus answered him, The first of all the commandments is, Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord: (Mark 12:29)

Jesus is citing the Shema found in Deuteronomy 6:4, and is referring to God His Father as the ONE LORD. 1 Corinthians 8:6 also clearly states that the ONE GOD is God the Father. However, we find that Jesus Christ is the ONE GOD in Titus 2:13.

Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ; (Titus 2:13)

There are no contradictions found in scripture. Both LORD and GOD are equal descriptions of Deity in the Jewish religious context. Confessing Jesus as Lord from the heart is confessing Him as God (Deity). He is King of Kings and Lord of Lords!

God Bless!

• Members

The answer to your question is found several times within this thread.

That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. (Romans 10:9-10)

The title of Lord is a title of Deity! How do we know this?

But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him. (1 Corinthians 8:6)

This verse states clearly that the ONE LORD is Jesus Christ, and yet we find that the ONE LORD is also God the Father.

And Jesus answered him, The first of all the commandments is, Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord: (Mark 12:29)

Jesus is citing the Shema found in Deuteronomy 6:4, and is referring to God His Father as the ONE LORD. 1 Corinthians 8:6 also clearly states that the ONE GOD is God the Father. However, we find that Jesus Christ is the ONE GOD in Titus 2:13.

Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ; (Titus 2:13)

There are no contradictions found in scripture. Both LORD and GOD are equal descriptions of Deity in the Jewish religious context. Confessing Jesus as Lord from the heart is confessing Him as God (Deity). He is King of Kings and Lord of Lords!

God Bless!

Quite honestly, Lord is not a title of Diety, unless you are using 'diety' as it was used 2000-6000 years ago, when it meant anyone with divine authority. It is a title used in and out of the Bible. In the Bible, it is used for believers and non-believers, and is the word (as I am sure everyone knows) kurios. It no more signifies diety than theos signifies God. The context determines who and what is being refered to. This is basic Bible study. That is why Abraham is not being refered to as God, but he was god, lord, to Sarah. Capitalization is not the key either way.