• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Arming Yourself - Marriage/family Battle

The battle for God's institution of marriage and family was pointed out in another thread. So, we should be arming ourselves with God's word and understanding what they mean. I hope others here will add to this thread discussion about the scriptures below and other scriptures which support the God ordained relationship between men-women-children-family. Add other scriptures and point out the relevance to support the Christian position. We all know marriage-family as created by God is the image of our relationship with Jesus Christ our Savior.

What is the scripture below telling us...

Genesis 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
Genesis 1:27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

• Members

Anyone who gets married today is nuts. Unless you absolutely can't control yourself than avoid it. If you are thinking of becoming a pastor it may be beneficial to get married simply because people will respect you more as a pastor. But outside of that it's better to stay single IMO.

As far as the scripture you posted I'm not sure if the unsaved are considered to be in the image of God. How can they be in the image of God when the NT calls them the "children of the devil"? Seems mankind lost the image at the fall and are consider in the least "the image of Adam" (Gen. 5:3) and at the most the image of the devil. I really don't think God cares about marriage of the unsaved. Only his children. Does the marriage of the unsaved reflect the relationship of Christ and his church? If so then why won't most bible believing pastors marry unsaved couples?

Edited by Wilchbla

• Members

Anyone who gets married today is nuts.

I have to say that I disagree. As with anything, you have to go into it with the right mentality and the right people. Yes, if you think that it's horrible then you probably shouldn't get married. However, there are many, many people who have God-honoring marriages that do reflect Christ's relationship to the church.

• Members

I have to say that I disagree. As with anything, you have to go into it with the right mentality and the right people. Yes, if you think that it's horrible then you probably shouldn't get married. However, there are many, many people who have God-honoring marriages that do reflect Christ's relationship to the church.

I know just as many marriages that have fallen apart. And I'm talking marriages within IFB churches. 100% of the time the man will be blamed also and will be punished by the state and his local church. Texas is 90% Baptist and also has the highest divorce rate of all the states. Paul said it well when he said you'd do better to remain single.

• Members

It's not marriage that is the problem, it's sin. If a Christian couple marries and obeys the Word of God they will never have to worry about divorce and the ills that accompany a divorce.

What brings about bad marriages, break ups and divorce is the sin of selfishness. If a couple is committed to Christ they will weather the storms of life together.

One of the reasons so many professing Christians end up with failed marriages is they fail to seek God's guidance in who they will marry, they fail to make sure they marry a true Christian who is following Christ and they fail to make sure they themselves are a true Christian truly following Christ.

The next factor which ill afflicts professing Christians marriages is that one or both of them don't take their marriage vows seriously. For many, the marriage vows are looked upon just like the lost world looks at them, just some pretty words to say at the wedding. Scripture tells us that vows before God are very serious and it's better not to make a vow than to make one and break it.

If a couple isn't prepared to take their wedding vows seriously they shouldn't be getting married. If a couple truly loves and honours one another through sickness and in health, good times and bad, until death do they part, then there will be broken marriage and no divorce because they will not even consider such.

God didn't give everyone the ability to be single. For most, marriage is in their future. Best to prepare for marriage biblically and enter marriage biblically so one may have a lifelong biblical marriage.

Anyone who gets married today is nuts. Unless you absolutely can't control yourself than avoid it. If you are thinking of becoming a pastor it may be beneficial to get married simply because people will respect you more as a pastor. But outside of that it's better to stay single IMO.

As far as the scripture you posted I'm not sure if the unsaved are considered to be in the image of God. How can they be in the image of God when the NT calls them the "children of the devil"? Seems mankind lost the image at the fall and are consider in the least "the image of Adam" (Gen. 5:3) and at the most the image of the devil. I really don't think God cares about marriage of the unsaved. Only his children. Does the marriage of the unsaved reflect the relationship of Christ and his church? If so then why won't most bible believing pastors marry unsaved couples?

Sorry, Wilch I can't agree.
It matters little what we think. It goes back to what God said. First, the institution was ordained by God but that isn't the scripture I posted in the OP. We didn't loose the image of the trinity in the OP scripture. Second, we lost fellowship with God and gained death. The relationship of Christ and his ministry is reflected through the relationship of husband-wife, that's another scripture altogether. Here we have the initial relationship of a man and a woman. Further details of the relationship followed. As far as staying single, Paul was of the same opinion.

Satan is attacking the divinity of Jesus Christ through the destruction of institution of marriage. We better know how to respond to the crowd the Devil is using and stop endless bickering and bantering about what we think. The old line, "I think God prefers a man and woman gets married" isn't enough what did God say about marriage and family and where do you find it in the Bible.

Recent events with the NAACP should be further evidence to get into God's Word and know what it says and yes, in this case be able to defend what you believe. In some cases be able to defend what you think you know.

Are Christians so enamored with the sensational or outlandish they would rather spend their time searching for and commenting on such?

I hope I'm not making this too difficult to understand.

• Members

Scripture is very clear, marriage is one man/one woman, joined for life.

Scripture is also very clear that homosexuality is sin, a sin so horrible in God's eyes He calls it an abomination.

One of the problems is that most who support, promote and push for full legalization and acceptance of homosexuality and homosexual "marriage", are not biblical Christians. Even among those who profess to be Christian, they are worldly Christians, not actual born again Christians. Neither the openly non-Christians nor the unsaved professing Christians care about what the Bible says when it disagrees with them.

I've seen countless pastors and priests from various denominations on TV telling the world why it's good to ignore certain passages in the Bible and support women and homosexual pastors. Hundreds of churches across the land hold to these ungodly views and many churches across the land have women or homosexual pastors.

We must make our stand upon the Word of God, as you so rightly put forth, but we must realize that the lost world and unsaved professing Christians don't care. Even so, God only calls us to stand upon His Word, put it forth, and then leave the results up to Him. God tells us His Word NEVER returns unto Him void, it WILL serve His purposes!

Indeed, such practical matters of life and eternity should be worth much more attention than sensationalistic theories and guesses about end times prophecy, how old we will be in heaven, or whether our favorite pets will join us.

• Members

I'm 100% against it, but should I try & make the lost live up to the standards of God? Should I put them under God's law?

That's the problem with dealing with this issue in the political realm. America's Founders specifically chose to make America secular nation. That decision was bound to lead us to where we are today where things religious are specifically pushed aside and shouted down. Most voters, both political parties and most people don't want to hear religious arguments being used to decide political matters.

The big shift in more people being against abortion has come because there was a shift in the political realm away from religious arguments to using scientific data and proof to show a baby is alive, is a tiny human, is a person in the womb. Most people are still against the religious arguments against abortion but they are accepting the secular arguments.

This is one of the key reasons pro-homosexuals push the idea that homosexuality is normal, they were born homosexual. This gives them a secular argument to promote while those who stand against homosexual marriage tend to put forth religious arguments. The pro-homosexuals then declare that it's bigotted, intolerant, radical religionists fighting agains their "civil rights".

The best counter to this is spreading the Gospel and making disciples.

As usual this turns into a debate between personalities, Why?

The scripture is the key. There are arguments here which don't address the the OP. YOU (ME) Christians should know the scriptures which apply to what we base our stand for this sin on. If they are truly for tolerance then we must demand, in love, our equal time. I don't believe they are for real tolerance but, I intend to request it anyway. If the opportunity is offered I better be able to say more than God said it that settles it.
Back to center...

Genesis 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
Genesis 1:27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

The answer if questioned as to why(?) in the above scripture is, “I can’t mirror God’s image in a marriage between same sexes.”

I’ll add to the OP scriptures…

Genesis 2:18 And the LORD God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him.

What is the answer in the scripture above, “I can’t be the complete person God intends in a marriage between same sexes.”

These are superficial, at a glance discussion answers. Someone on this board knows more about this discussion. They understand more about this topic and I pray they will share and help us to prepare. Because the battle isn't far off, it's in our face NOW.

• Members

Actually, this battle has been ongoing for a long time. I attended university in the late 80s and early 90s and the battle was ongoing then.

I agree that if we have an opportunity to speak on the matter, we need to be prepared. That said, you are also correct that most of these demanding "tolerance" are not tolerant at all of anything they disagree with. What they really mean when they demand tolerance is that everyone tolerate what they say must be tolerated. Even then, they don't really mean tolerate, what they actually demand is full acceptance and support. At the same time, they reject and deny any tolerance for opposing views.

It's very difficult in today's climate to put forth a Christian response or argument on this subject. Most people either outright reject what Scripture has to say on the subject or they just don't care. Many either don't believe in God or they don't believe in "that God".

Even when it comes to many professing Christians, when confronted with Bible truth on this subject, will defensively shout that "their Jesus/God" isn't like that. They reject biblical truth, declare you/we are misinterpreting, quoting from bigotted and outdated sections of Scripture, misuse verses as a means to ignore other verses (as did Obama when he cited the Golden Rule in supporting homosexual marriage). Typically, they are unwilling to listen to counters to their claims, they reject the "bigotted, radical fundamentalist, intolerant" views of Scripture.

On occasion, in a one-on-one setting, an actual discussion may be possible, or even in a very small group setting sometimes, but beyond that it's exceedingly rare these days.

Again, you are right that if we are to engage, we need to be prepared. I'm not sure, specifically, what you are looking for. Other than the verses of Scripture which clearly indicate marriage is between a man and a woman, that homosexuality is a sin, even an abominable sin, and relating Scriptures that makes it clear we are to obey the Word of God, I don't know what else there is to be said. I suppose a main point for us to remember is to rely upon the guidance of the Holy Ghost when it comes to when and where to speak and what to speak (as well as what not to speak) rather than our own selves or others.

In all reality, this is a battle that's already lost (for the most part) and there can be no real victory for "our side" unless we are willing and able, through the Holy Ghost, to bring more folks to salvation in Christ and to disciple them. Then, as was the case when Billy Sunday was preaching, there may be a temporary victory in this area even as there was temporary victory over drunkness and other sins when many were born again in Christ as Sunday preached across the nation.

Otherwise, the masses of unsaved, Bible-rejecting people will disregard biblical arguments against homosexual marriage and for biblical marriage. This is why divorce is so rampant, even among professing Christians; unwed pregnancy and childbirth is so high, adultery is so common, all sorts of sexual perversions are "cool".

We, true Bible believers, are a shrinking minority in America. Are we willing to pray daily for America, for America's leaders, for Christian leaders, for our brothers/sisters in Christ, for revival, or an awakening? Are we willing to give of ourselves (time, talent, treasure) in order to spread the Gospel and make disciples? This is the main offensive we need to be making. Otherwise, we will be fighting on the defensive and that's a losing game.