• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

God Is Not To Blame

• Members
One of the chief arguments that people use against God is that He allegedly hasn’t given enough light to mankind. It is common to charge God with culpability because millions of people today have not heard the gospel of Christ and because of those who died in past times without having heard the gospel.

The fact is that God has zero culpability in this. He has given light and those who respond to the light receive more light.

The Bible says that God gives light to
every man (John 1:9).

In the epistle to the church at Rome, Paul explained that God has given three types of light to mankind. (1) He has given the light of creation that we might know that there is a wise and powerful God (Romans 1:20). (2) He has given the light of conscience that we can know that there is a moral God (Romans 2:14-16). (3) He has given the light of prophecy and Scripture that we might know who this God is and might have a personal relationship with Him (Romans 3:1-2).

God has raised up prophets to the nations from the time of Abel to the present. “God has spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began” (Acts 3:21), but God’s messengers have been ignored, ridiculed, persecuted, killed far more often than they have been honored and believed.

In the days of Solomon the kings of the earth heard the prophetic wisdom God had given him (1 Kings 4:34).

Jesus commanded His disciples to carry the gospel to every nation, and even by the end of the first century it was already preached in the Middle East, Asia, Africa, and Europe.

The whole Bible has been translated into every major language and portions thereof into more than 2,000 other languages.

The nations have heard, but they have not listened.

The nations will be condemned by the likes of the Ethiopian eunuch, the treasurer of that nation, who obtained a copy of the prophet Isaiah and sought Philip’s assistance in understanding it (Acts 8:26-39). When a man sincerely tries to comprehend the light he has, God will send him a Philip. God requires that men seek after Him, and promises to be found of those who do (Acts 17:26-27; Jeremiah 29:13; Luke 11:9; Hebrews 11:6).

It is not God’s fault that most people sit in darkness today.

Jesus said that men are condemned already by rejecting the light that they have (John 3:18-20).

“The foolishness of man perverteth his way: and his heart fretteth against the LORD” (Proverbs 19:3).

View the full article

• Members

Does this mean the American Indians who heard nothing of Christ until a few hundred years ago could still be saved somehow if they noticed God in creation?

I know most who lean Calvinist tend to say something to the effect that no American Indian was elected to salvation before the Gospel reached them.

What other teachings are there on this?

• Members

American Indians were herr thousands of years before the Gospel was preached, what hope did they have then?. But how do we know the American Indians didn't get the gospel? And even if they didn't, nobody else did until the first century either.
Read Romans 1:18-28 As the article says, we have all been given "light".

• Members

Rom 1:19 Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them.
Rom 1:20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

• Members

American Indians were herr thousands of years before the Gospel was preached, what hope did they have then?. But how do we know the American Indians didn't get the gospel? And even if they didn't, nobody else did until the first century either.
Read Romans 1:18-28 As the article says, we have all been given "light".

Yes, and this is the question that comes up. What about all those people? How could they get the Gospel if no one had brought it there yet?

Just what does it mean that "we have all been given light"?

Is there some answer to give people other than telling them that God will do right by everything in some way?

• Members

For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. Who is this verse referring to? Intriguing.

• Members

For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. Who is this verse referring to? Intriguing.

Why continue being so cryptic?

Can a person look at the landscape and animals, determine there must be a God, and thus be saved?

What are you saying these verse mean?

Some use these verses to proclaim that "sincere" Muslims, Mormons, various pagans and others will all be in heaven because they "sincerely" knew there was a God and were searching for Him and trying to serve Him.

I think the underlying question of how to respond to the M&Ms/pagans is valid.

Sometimes we are at that point as you, I, and many others have said. We share the gospel, pray for the person, and leave it to the Holy Spirit.

• Members

I think the underlying question of how to respond to the M&Ms/pagans is valid.

Sometimes we are at that point as you, I, and many others have said. We share the gospel, pray for the person, and leave it to the Holy Spirit.

There have been many times when I've done just that. We might be a seed planter or a waterer but not the harvester.

I was seeking to find out if anyone had more insight into this than I have come upon or if anyone knew of another way of speaking to these matters.

• Members

As I read the article a thought came to mind. It was reinforced while reading this thread. Went back to the article for a second look.

God has raised up prophets to the nations from the time of Abel to the present. “God has spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began” (Acts 3:21), but God’s messengers have been ignored, ridiculed, persecuted, killed far more often than they have been honored and believed.

Twice in the history of the earth there has been a very limited number of people.
(1) Adam & Eve
(2) Noah & his family

In each instance, everyone in the world, knew of God.

Yet, as time passed, the decendents, in each instance, turned away from God. To help counter this, as the article states, God sent messengers to reinforce what was known by the forefathers of those rejecting Him. Is God to blame because, at any time in history, since Noah, the majority of the population of the earth strayed away from their ancestors belief/understanding of Him?

The Bible tells us that God has almost destroyed all the people of the world due to sin and unbelief. We are told He sent fire and brimstone to destroy all the inhabidents (sp) in wicked cities. He directed the Hebrews to wipe out all the inhabitants of the Promised Land, when they first arrived. etc. & etc.

How are native Americans (prior to the arrival of Europeans) any different from the ____ ites, when the Hebrews entered the Promised Land? At some point in their past their ancentors drifted away from a relationship with God.

Remember, if this thought has no merit, I'm just a layman seeking the truth. Please just point me in the right direction.

• Members

As I read the article a thought came to mind. It was reinforced while reading this thread. Went back to the article for a second look.

Twice in the history of the earth there has been a very limited number of people.
(1) Adam & Eve
(2) Noah & his family

In each instance, everyone in the world, knew of God.

Yet, as time passed, the decendents, in each instance, turned away from God. To help counter this, as the article states, God sent messengers to reinforce what was known by the forefathers of those rejecting Him. Is God to blame because, at any time in history, since Noah, the majority of the population of the earth strayed away from their ancestors belief/understanding of Him?

The Bible tells us that God has almost destroyed all the people of the world due to sin and unbelief. We are told He sent fire and brimstone to destroy all the inhabidents (sp) in wicked cities. He directed the Hebrews to wipe out all the inhabitants of the Promised Land, when they first arrived. etc. & etc.

How are native Americans (prior to the arrival of Europeans) any different from the ____ ites, when the Hebrews entered the Promised Land? At some point in their past their ancentors drifted away from a relationship with God.

Remember, if this thought has no merit, I'm just a layman seeking the truth. Please just point me in the right direction.

I get the merit of what you are saying but such a statement would be of little comfort or acceptance to those who typically raise this issue.

The question asked is how is Little Hawk expected to know God, to know the way of salvation, if no one has ever told him? Wouldnt' the blame be upon his ancestors for not passing the information on, for not walking with God? How is Little Hawk to know God, even if he believes there must be a Creator, when he does ask of such things he's point to the Great Spirit by his people?

I certainly can't explain it all but I'm willing to trust God and accept that whatever He does is right, but most unbelievers and many professing Christians themselves can't or are unable to yet, accept this.