• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Paper Or Electrons

• Members

Is your reliance on electronic media leading you to discard the use of paper?

Are you putting your physical books on yardsale tables because you've moved to ebooks?

Do you ever print an ebook for future reference?

If you use a daily devotional, do you read it on line instead of subscribing to the printed version?

I like the computer, but I love my books! :icon_smile: The Internet can be shut off by those who have access to the switches...but they can't shut off my books.

Yep! I do download some reference materials but, I already have them on my bookshelf. I only download commentaries and other reference material to use in research. If they shut off the internet which is very possible I won't be missing anything.

• Members
KJV'>Amos 8:11
Behold, the days come, saith the Lord GOD, that I will send a famine in the land, not a famine of bread, nor a thirst for water, but of hearing the words of the LORD:

-- A few days ago I read Separatism and Its Collapse. http://www.wayoflife.org/free_ebooks/

-- For a couple of weeks now, my DSL carrier has being doing upgrades and they don't have all the buggs worked out. Thus connection to the Internet has been problematic, to say the least.

-- At a recent yard sale held at our church, I was surprised, in a sense, at what came in for donations to the sale. Especially the Bibles and biblical reference books that people pulled from their bookshelves. "Since I have a computer I don't need them anymore."

FWIW, in my former life, I've been involved in the "behind the scenes" aspects of the computer revolution. And, have often had hands-on, hair-pulling, experience with what it takes to make all this stuff work. First, punch cards, then EIGHT inch floppy disks for the mid-range computer system that I managed. I was there when everyone was wishing that personal computers could "talk" to each other. Have had to deal with the built in obsolecense of computer equipment and operating systems. Have watched so much of the latest, greatest, fastest end up in landfills (or equivalents).

What do you do when you have nothing that'll play your collection of 8-track music tapes?

As I was reading the ebook, mentioned above, first I missed the ability to make notes in the margins and pull out my trusty yellow highlighter. Couldn't stick a piece of paper between the pages to mark my place when I had to do something else. While reading online is easier for these old eyes (adjust font size), like others have mentioned, I enjoy having a printed book in my hand. One that can go with me to a doctor's office waiting room. (No I don't have one of the new ebook reader gadgets.)

Anyway, all of the above came together to pose the questions in my OP.

Are we as a society moving too far away from paper, especially with printed books? Are we beginning (already) putting too much reliance on someone (something) else to give us access the the Word of God? Online backup systems, thumbdrives, CD's and DVD's, etc. are becoming / have become the norm, along with reliance on the Internet.

What do you do when your computer crashes and the replacement can't read your backup storage media?
What do you do when a local ice storm takes out the power for two weeks and you can't recharge batteries?
What do you do when the batteries die in your "gadget" and you can't get replacements to fit it?
What do you do when a natural or man-made disaster disrupts power and communications on a major scale for a LONG time?
What do you do when political forces finally manage to totally control Internet access, as is now being done in some areas?

Behold, the days come, saith the Lord GOD, that I will send a famine in the land, not a famine of bread, nor a thirst for water, but of hearing (reading) the words of the LORD:

Amos 8:11
Behold, the days come, saith the Lord GOD, that I will send a famine in the land, not a famine of bread, nor a thirst for water, but of hearing the words of the LORD:

-- A few days ago I read Separatism and Its Collapse. http://www.wayoflife.org/free_ebooks/

-- For a couple of weeks now, my DSL carrier has being doing upgrades and they don't have all the buggs worked out. Thus connection to the Internet has been problematic, to say the least.

-- At a recent yard sale held at our church, I was surprised, in a sense, at what came in for donations to the sale. Especially the Bibles and biblical reference books that people pulled from their bookshelves. "Since I have a computer I don't need them anymore."

FWIW, in my former life, I've been involved in the "behind the scenes" aspects of the computer revolution. And, have often had hands-on, hair-pulling, experience with what it takes to make all this stuff work. First, punch cards, then EIGHT inch floppy disks for the mid-range computer system that I managed. I was there when everyone was wishing that personal computers could "talk" to each other. Have had to deal with the built in obsolecense of computer equipment and operating systems. Have watched so much of the latest, greatest, fastest end up in landfills (or equivalents).

What do you do when you have nothing that'll play your collection of 8-track music tapes?

As I was reading the ebook, mentioned above, first I missed the ability to make notes in the margins and pull out my trusty yellow highlighter. Couldn't stick a piece of paper between the pages to mark my place when I had to do something else. While reading online is easier for these old eyes (adjust font size), like others have mentioned, I enjoy having a printed book in my hand. One that can go with me to a doctor's office waiting room. (No I don't have one of the new ebook reader gadgets.)

Are we as a society moving too far away from paper, especially with printed books? Are we beginning (already) putting too much reliance on someone (something) else to give us access the the Word of God? Online backup systems, thumbdrives, CD's and DVD's, etc. are becoming / have become the norm, along with reliance on the Internet.

What do you do when your computer crashes and the replacement can't read your backup storage media?
What do you do when a local ice storm takes out the power for two weeks and you can't recharge batteries?
What do you do when the batteries die in your "gadget" and you can't get replacements to fit it?
What do you do when a natural or man-made disaster disrupts power and communications on a major scale for a LONG time?
What do you do when political forces finally manage to totally control Internet access, as is now being done in some areas?

Behold, the days come, saith the Lord GOD, that I will send a famine in the land, not a famine of bread, nor a thirst for water, but of hearing (reading) the words of the LORD:

What do you do...

1. You request it from the government...
2. You get a live-in IFB preacher...

No, neither of the above, instead...
You prepare NOW to be self-sufficient of all those mechanical/electronic necessities and...

2 Timothy 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
...why...
Psalms 119:11 Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.
...because...
The government is not the repository of sound doctrine.
...and...
All of us who would be named an IFB preacher will be in crowded jail cells waiting for the glorious appearing of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

• Members

Is your reliance on electronic media leading you to discard the use of paper? I feel that I am being forced daily too give up paper stuff , I hate it

Are you putting your physical books on yardsale tables because you've moved to ebooks? I rather have paperbacks and hard back books over ebooks and kindles

Do you ever print an ebook for future reference?no

If you use a daily devotional, do you read it on line instead of subscribing to the printed version? I have some online daily devotionals but, I rather have paper books , so I can get off the net. My husband said I am on it way too much.

• Members

Amos 8:11

With SwordSearcher, you have the ability to make notes on any & all verses you chose, you can also highlight in several different colors, underline in several different colors. Its great.

I use it at home all the time, & use my old regular Bible as church.

• Moderators

Though I use electronics, I also use paper
I've lost electronic files, I've also lost hard files and books due to both fire and flood.

There are books that aren't available in electronic form (and definitely now at garage sale prices).

Electronics saves space, but you can loan 5(or more, obviously)books to 5 different people and still have something to read (can't do that with e-readers as far as I know).

Also, falling asleep reading a book in the chair is better than dropping the laptop

Edited by OLD fashioned

• Members

I use paper, but not a pen, I do my sermons on my computer them use the printer to run them off.

I have all of my sermons stored on an external hard drive, back up to CD's, never lost a single one.

Plus after I have given that sermon, I placing it in a big box.