• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

What About Buying A House?

• Members

Every situation is different as I previously said. Home ownership is not for everyone. If I lived in an area where it was cheaper to rent than own, I would certainly rent. If I planned on being in a place for a short period of time, I would rent. If I ever go back into the pastorate, I would rent.

However,
Now is a great time to buy if you are in the market and have saved the necessary down payment.

• Members

This sounds more like a democratic national convention. The wealthy in this country create the jobs for the rest of us. Money is not the root of all evil. The love of it is. I am not wealthy. My kids see parents by their friends cars for their birthday and my kids get a small gift. I would not consider myself poor either. I am a hard working individual who works to provide for my family. There are way too many people in this country who think that they don't have to work because the government will take care of them.

God's Word makes it clear that we, as husbands, are to take care of our family. We need to stop complaining about those who have worked hard and made wealth.

1st off. I did not complain about them, & I am not jealous of them, I'm just an old preach who sees though it with the help of God's Word, & from time to time I will freely point it out, so do not go there, that is putting words in my mouth, while trying to make others think that I said that which I did not.

Those who have the desire to be rich, go for it, it does not bother me, except for, many of them, shows exactly where their trust is, & of course Jesus told us about the big problem with the rich.

And again, with the save person, & the desire that God puts in their heart, they are free indeed, yet many professing Christians live exactly the same type life, values, as the lost. Many of them the only difference is they give to God, some attend church services regular, some irregular, some on a holiday or 2.

Mt 19:23 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, Verily I say unto you, That a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven.

And as I stated, for many of the rich, life on earth is good as it gets, the worse is yet to come, eternal punishment, & in the verse above, Jesus made it quite plain, few rich shall hardly enter heaven. Why, because of where the desires of their heart rest.

• Members

This sounds more like a democratic national convention. The wealthy in this country create the jobs for the rest of us. Money is not the root of all evil. The love of it is. I am not wealthy. My kids see parents by their friends cars for their birthday and my kids get a small gift. I would not consider myself poor either. I am a hard working individual who works to provide for my family. There are way too many people in this country who think that they don't have to work because the government will take care of them.

God's Word makes it clear that we, as husbands, are to take care of our family. We need to stop complaining about those who have worked hard and made wealth.

PastorJ, please let me clear up what may be a misunderstanding resulting from my poor choice of words.

First, I used to be a staunch "Republican". Not any more. In my political beliefs, I'm not a modern Democrat or Republican, nor a Liberterian (sp) as they are currently being defined. That said, I'm registered as a Democrat and vote Republican 95% of the time in November elections. I'm registered as a Democrat because our local governments consist primarily of firmly entrenched Democrats. It gives me great pleasure to try to vote even one of them out of office.

Next, I believe in the REPUBLIC form of government founded on Christian principles, as originally established with our Constitution and Bill of Rights. I believe in both the freedoms and personal responsbilities outlined by our founding fathers.

Thirdly, I believe in capitalism, that is the basic principles of capitalism, before they were corrupted. A man (or woman) should use their God given abilities to provide for themselves. When they produce by the sweat of their brow they should be able to do with, as they please, the fruits of their labor, according to the principles taught in the Bible. When my neighbor plants a hundred acres of wheat, tends it, and harvests it, I should NOT be ENTITLED to one grain of that wheat by man's law. Under God's law, in certain circumstances, my neighbor is expected to share with me. However, even then, I'm not granted permission by God to steal (by whatever means) a grain of that wheat from him.

The Bible verse I quoted, plainly states the LOVE of money is the root of all evil. It's simply an object (in whatever form) that can become an idol when greed causes mankind to lust after it.

Earlier Kitagrl said: "But I'm saying there should be no complaints about those who are rich."

I respectfully disagree with that premise, as its stated.

I will bitterly complain about those who are rich and are corrupt. I have no complaints about having money (riches) if honestly/morally acquired it and it's used as God intends for it to be used. If there shouldn't be any complaints about the rich, then I shouldn't complain about

* Oprah using her millions to promote her "religious" viewpoints, that from what I understand, corrupt the word of God.

* Hollywood personalities raking in millions of dollars by selling sin to those who see no harm in today's "entertainment".

* the examples being set by many/most "rich" athletes for our young people.

* honest candidates can no longer run for office because they don't have enough money to outspend rich (corrupt) candidates.

* preachers who won't preach the whole word of God because it might offend certain rich church members.

* TV preachers, living in splendar, while people supporting them can barely put bread on their own tables.

* anyone (including corporations) using their "riches" to lie, deceive, steal, control, influence (Hath God said?) for the purpose of becoming richer and more powerful.

Shouldn't Christians complain about GE and Al Gore's profit motives underlying the push to reverse Global Warming, now Climate change? Isn't it a sin to use false science as a tool for the rich to further line their pockets with gold, at the expense of those less fortunate? Shouldn't Christians complain about golden parachutes of those who's corruption has driven corporations into bankruptsy, thus putting many average Joe's out of work? Shouldn't Christians complain about the agenda of the "rich" who have created an entitlement mentality for half (if not more) of the people in this country?

If my neighbor's hard work brings rich rewards for his hundred acres of wheat, I have no complaints. In fact, I wish him success if he plants 200 acres next year. He doesn't "owe" me a single grain of that wheat. However, if his success this year leads him to greed and thus corruption in order to have ill gotten rewards next year, I will have a complaint about his "riches".

BTW, I'm equally opinionated about those who can and won't work, as I am about the rich who have been corrupted by the LOVE of money.

KJV'>Genesis 3:19
In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.

In closing, it isn't likely you'll hear me speak at the Democratic Convention, even though it's to be held only a couple of hours drive away from my home this year. While I don't know the planks of their platform right now, I suspect my teleprompter would contain scriptures that oppose every one of them.

• Members

I bought our place Nov, 2010 w/o a mortgage.

That's just great, & its the way to do it.

Hardly anyone wants to do that, they want it right now, they do not want to save for it. Not only that, they want everything now, and they go neck deep in debt to get it.

Not only that, if they don't get what they want, them its time for a divorce, because, "I deserve to have it, and I deserve to have it right now, furthermore more, I'm going to have it right now, one way or the other." Yet also, one of the biggest reasons for divorce, is the couple is neck deep in debt, because, they've got to have it right now!

I've made comments on my buying cars, save the money, them buy one. Of course I don't get a new one every 3 or 4 years. But some act like that is unreasonable.

• Members

PastorJ, please let me clear up what may be a misunderstanding resulting from my poor choice of words.

First, I used to be a staunch "Republican". Not any more. In my political beliefs, I'm not a modern Democrat or Republican, nor a Liberterian (sp) as they are currently being defined. That said, I'm registered as a Democrat and vote Republican 95% of the time in November elections. I'm registered as a Democrat because our local governments consist primarily of firmly entrenched Democrats. It gives me great pleasure to try to vote even one of them out of office.

Next, I believe in the REPUBLIC form of government founded on Christian principles, as originally established with our Constitution and Bill of Rights. I believe in both the freedoms and personal responsbilities outlined by our founding fathers.

Thirdly, I believe in capitalism, that is the basic principles of capitalism, before they were corrupted. A man (or woman) should use their God given abilities to provide for themselves. When they produce by the sweat of their brow they should be able to do with, as they please, the fruits of their labor, according to the principles taught in the Bible. When my neighbor plants a hundred acres of wheat, tends it, and harvests it, I should NOT be ENTITLED to one grain of that wheat by man's law. Under God's law, in certain circumstances, my neighbor is expected to share with me. However, even then, I'm not granted permission by God to steal (by whatever means) a grain of that wheat from him.

The Bible verse I quoted, plainly states the LOVE of money is the root of all evil. It's simply an object (in whatever form) that can become an idol when greed causes mankind to lust after it.

Earlier Kitagrl said: "But I'm saying there should be no complaints about those who are rich."

I respectfully disagree with that premise, as its stated.

I will bitterly complain about those who are rich and are corrupt. I have no complaints about having money (riches) if honestly/morally acquired it and it's used as God intends for it to be used. If there shouldn't be any complaints about the rich, then I shouldn't complain about

* Oprah using her millions to promote her "religious" viewpoints, that from what I understand, corrupt the word of God.

* Hollywood personalities raking in millions of dollars by selling sin to those who see no harm in today's "entertainment".

* the examples being set by many/most "rich" athletes for our young people.

* honest candidates can no longer run for office because they don't have enough money to outspend rich (corrupt) candidates.

* preachers who won't preach the whole word of God because it might offend certain rich church members.

* TV preachers, living in splendar, while people supporting them can barely put bread on their own tables.

* anyone (including corporations) using their "riches" to lie, deceive, steal, control, influence (Hath God said?) for the purpose of becoming richer and more powerful.

Shouldn't Christians complain about GE and Al Gore's profit motives underlying the push to reverse Global Warming, now Climate change? Isn't it a sin to use false science as a tool for the rich to further line their pockets with gold, at the expense of those less fortunate? Shouldn't Christians complain about golden parachutes of those who's corruption has driven corporations into bankruptsy, thus putting many average Joe's out of work? Shouldn't Christians complain about the agenda of the "rich" who have created an entitlement mentality for half (if not more) of the people in this country?

If my neighbor's hard work brings rich rewards for his hundred acres of wheat, I have no complaints. In fact, I wish him success if he plants 200 acres next year. He doesn't "owe" me a single grain of that wheat. However, if his success this year leads him to greed and thus corruption in order to have ill gotten rewards next year, I will have a complaint about his "riches".

BTW, I'm equally opinionated about those who can and won't work, as I am about the rich who have been corrupted by the LOVE of money.

Genesis 3:19
In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.

In closing, it isn't likely you'll hear me speak at the Democratic Convention, even though it's to be held only a couple of hours drive away from my home this year. While I don't know the planks of their platform right now, I suspect my teleprompter would contain scriptures that oppose every one of them.

Like the wealthiest man in our town, made it in the chicken business. But to make it big, he had to cheat the growers. In fact he talked several of them into growing 3 batches of chickens without a pay day, promising to make it up. The only thing that saved him was Tyson's bought him out, & its a fact, if they had not 30 days later he would have gone down, but he still did not keep his word, he did not go back & pay the poor farmers.

A trucking company owner, that lives large, just a bout folded up. He made it though bankruptcy, because his drivers agreed to work for less money, while he promised to make it up when his company recovered. He didn't, instead he kept his drivers at the lower wages building himself a newer & larger home along with a high prices diamond ring for his wife that would choke a mule. Most of his good drivers left, now he has a bunch of cutthroat outlaws drivers. Good drivers will not work for the low wages he is paying. Now his trucks & trailers looks like wrecks looking for a place to happen. A man that attends our church works for a company that this truck owner hauls freight for, he told me, he does not have a single trailer that is road legal, yet that does not keep them off the open road.

• Members

In our society today its impossible to buy a house without having a mortgage. It is what it is.... honor God and He will honor you.

I agree. The system is set up to make us financial slaves to the banks. Really, it is not much different than the feudal economies. Even if you rent you are in essence paying someone elses mortage. There is no escaping unless you inherit a home but how many people do you know inherit homes these days? My parents are so in debt with their mortage that they won't be able to pay it off until they die unless they both make it to almost 100 years old. So the house will go back to the bank and I'll still be renting.

• Members

I agree. The system is set up to make us financial slaves to the banks. Really, it is not much different than the feudal economies. Even if you rent you are in essence paying someone elses mortage. There is no escaping unless you inherit a home but how many people do you know inherit homes these days? My parents are so in debt with their mortage that they won't be able to pay it off until they die unless they both make it to almost 100 years old. So the house will go back to the bank and I'll still be renting.

And this earthly system is set up to make us lust for, new cars, new houses, & the latest gadgets. Yet, even in the days Jesus walked this earth, people were facing the same type of trouble, temptations.

If we don't go along with it that would make us peculiar, how many of us are peculiar?

Tit 2:14 Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.
1Pe 2:9 But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light: