• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

What About Buying A House?

• Members

AHHHHHH really? That was a nice liberal talking point, there!!!!! ;-)

The rich aren't getting richer and the poor aren't getting poorer as a general rule. That's what the media says and everyone parrots it.

Look around, its quite easy to see, that the rich are getting richer. Has nothing to do with being liberal or conservative.

Once, even poor people could afford going riding around, Sunday afternoon drives, but with the price of gas, the poor cannot afford to even do that, let alone travel long distance to visit family. But the rich are going full speed, as always. Edited by Jerry80871852

• Members

AHHHHHH really? That was a nice liberal talking point, there!!!!! ;-)

The rich aren't getting richer and the poor aren't getting poorer as a general rule. That's what the media says and everyone parrots it.

I'm a conservative and I agree with Jerry. We're dealing with a lot of smoke and mirrors where the media is concerned.

First, the middle class is disappearing as people are being shifed into two classes - the haves and the have nots. Already about half the population of the US is on some type of government program. Many of them are already firmly entrenched in their side of the class war being waged. What remains of the middle class is gradually being pushed down with the media hype against the "rich". Many of the "rich" are the people in the upper quadrant of the middle class.

What many people don't realize is there's a "class" of super rich, power hungry, people who are pulling the strings. Their goal is to be kings of the land and the ordinary, average, middleclass, Joe will be their serf, just as it was in the past, so many times. About half of this country are already in serfdom with their reliance on the government to put food on their tables.

The war the media is waging isn't against the "super rich". It's against the upper middle class and the lower upper class income folks. (The media is a the weapon being used in this war.) They are portraying that these groups of people are evil and are harming all those below them in economic status. The super rich already have their monies in safe harbors and are thus insulated when the cries for "tax the rich" are heard.

Those in control want me to be mad because we can't drive around on Sunday afternoons the way we used to do. Those in control want me to be mad everytime I go to the grocery store. They want me to be mad everytime my IRA takes a hit. They want me to be mad when WalMart jeans cost more than department store jeans did a few years ago. I'm supposed to be mad when my neighbor can afford to buy a new car and I can't.

The powers to be want me to be in debt up to my eyeballs. They want me to envy my neighbor, regardless of how hard my neighbor worked and saved to take a vacation I can't afford to take. The more angry I become at my neighbor, the more likely I am to support laws that punish his success. To bring my neighbor down to my level, even if I'm where I am is because I sat in the shade of my front porch and watched my neighbor sweat for what he has acquired.

My recommendation to the OP is to stay out of debt for as long as you can. Since you are in the military (I think), save your money. To the extent you can, make house payments to yourself, each month. I don't have a crystal ball to see the future. But, what I suspect is that the "signs of a recovery" are just that to lull people into thinking the worst is over. That is until the elections in November. Gas prices going down in summer? Why? It's not the norm. Major points of ObamaCare don't kick in until after the 2012 elections. Why? That's just 2 points of many that could be mentioned.

Stay out of debt for the time being, to see how the chips fall in 2013. Will the props, holding up our economy, either fail or be removed, post November 2012? How much longer can the EU hold things together, over there? How much longer can the major financial institutions continue to hold their toxic assets? Another one just released their bad news, as they couldn't prop up their problems any longer.

Stay out of debt. Get out of debt, as much as possible. I'd rather sleep on a rented bed with a sock stashed under the mattress than to have someone take my bed, mattress, and the house where it resides. While leaving me standing on the sidewalk with empty pockets.

• Members

I would disagree with your assessment.

My father was in Real Estate for 25+ years. The housing market goes up and down. Since 2007, house values are down about 40-50%. This also happened in the late 80's. They are called market corrections. It may not be at the very bottom, but timing the very bottom is difficult.

The other major benefit to right now is interest rates. They are at an all time low. They will not continue to stay this low and every percentage point means thousands of dollars lost when financing, which most people have to do.

In many cases, buying a house is actually cheaper than renting. In my area, rents are about 1000/month. My mortgage payment is $600/month.

Here are some basics to think about.
1. How long are you going to live in the home - Short time (rent); Long Term (Own)
2. Financial situation - Struggling (Rent)
3. Money down - Nothing (Rent) - 20% (own) Many people buy homes with less than 20% down, but it is not recommended.

• Members

PastorJ, just a quick note, as I have to run.

If this were simply a downturn in the housing market, I'd agree with your accessment 100%. My question is where can you find stability today within the overall (global and/or US) financial system? How much longer can bandaids be put in place before the entire system collapses and resets itself? The US cannot sustain/maintain the debt load it has now, forever. It used to be that countries could insulate themselves, somewhat, from financial disaster that befell other countries. That's not the case anymore.

All I'm saying is to wait a few months and build up an emergency fund, if you will. Wait a while to see what actually happens to the economy in the next year. Watch to see if the EU problems stabalize. Wait and see if China calls in the US debt. Wait and see what happens to the price of food and gasoline (two items not included in the inflation index, BTW). If we are on a genuine road to recovery, there'll still be time to buy a home. Sure, interest may be a point or two higher, or a particular home may cost $5,000 more. However, if this "recovery" isn't genuine and a 1930's or worse depression is ahead of us, then, I'd rather have a sock under my mattress with that 20% down, instead of it being invested in a house with monthly payments I can't make.

• Members

I'm a conservative and I agree with Jerry. We're dealing with a lot of smoke and mirrors where the media is concerned.

First, the middle class is disappearing as people are being shifed into two classes - the haves and the have nots. Already about half the population of the US is on some type of government program. Many of them are already firmly entrenched in their side of the class war being waged. What remains of the middle class is gradually being pushed down with the media hype against the "rich". Many of the "rich" are the people in the upper quadrant of the middle class.

What many people don't realize is there's a "class" of super rich, power hungry, people who are pulling the strings. Their goal is to be kings of the land and the ordinary, average, middleclass, Joe will be their serf, just as it was in the past, so many times. About half of this country are already in serfdom with their reliance on the government to put food on their tables.

The war the media is waging isn't against the "super rich". It's against the upper middle class and the lower upper class income folks. (The media is a the weapon being used in this war.) They are portraying that these groups of people are evil and are harming all those below them in economic status. The super rich already have their monies in safe harbors and are thus insulated when the cries for "tax the rich" are heard.

Those in control want me to be mad because we can't drive around on Sunday afternoons the way we used to do. Those in control want me to be mad everytime I go to the grocery store. They want me to be mad everytime my IRA takes a hit. They want me to be mad when WalMart jeans cost more than department store jeans did a few years ago. I'm supposed to be mad when my neighbor can afford to buy a new car and I can't.

The powers to be want me to be in debt up to my eyeballs. They want me to envy my neighbor, regardless of how hard my neighbor worked and saved to take a vacation I can't afford to take. The more angry I become at my neighbor, the more likely I am to support laws that punish his success. To bring my neighbor down to my level, even if I'm where I am is because I sat in the shade of my front porch and watched my neighbor sweat for what he has acquired.

My recommendation to the OP is to stay out of debt for as long as you can. Since you are in the military (I think), save your money. To the extent you can, make house payments to yourself, each month. I don't have a crystal ball to see the future. But, what I suspect is that the "signs of a recovery" are just that to lull people into thinking the worst is over. That is until the elections in November. Gas prices going down in summer? Why? It's not the norm. Major points of ObamaCare don't kick in until after the 2012 elections. Why? That's just 2 points of many that could be mentioned.

Stay out of debt for the time being, to see how the chips fall in 2013. Will the props, holding up our economy, either fail or be removed, post November 2012? How much longer can the EU hold things together, over there? How much longer can the major financial institutions continue to hold their toxic assets? Another one just released their bad news, as they couldn't prop up their problems any longer.

Stay out of debt. Get out of debt, as much as possible. I'd rather sleep on a rented bed with a sock stashed under the mattress than to have someone take my bed, mattress, and the house where it resides. While leaving me standing on the sidewalk with empty pockets.

That is totally correct, & they have the backing of the politicians, for they be the ones that feed the politicians. Of course, I have no desire to be part of that group, or to have any of its attributes, my only treasures are in heave, when you've never head of a bank going broke, nor anyotne breaking in & robbing the bank.

With that said, I know many professing Christians will whole heartily disagree.

• Members

PastorJ, just a quick note, as I have to run.

If this were simply a downturn in the housing market, I'd agree with your accessment 100%. My question is where can you find stability today within the overall (global and/or US) financial system? How much longer can bandaids be put in place before the entire system collapses and resets itself? The US cannot sustain/maintain the debt load it has now, forever. It used to be that countries could insulate themselves, somewhat, from financial disaster that befell other countries. That's not the case anymore.

All I'm saying is to wait a few months and build up an emergency fund, if you will. Wait a while to see what actually happens to the economy in the next year. Watch to see if the EU problems stabalize. Wait and see if China calls in the US debt. Wait and see what happens to the price of food and gasoline (two items not included in the inflation index, BTW). If we are on a genuine road to recovery, there'll still be time to buy a home. Sure, interest may be a point or two higher, or a particular home may cost $5,000 more. However, if this "recovery" isn't genuine and a 1930's or worse depression is ahead of us, then, I'd rather have a sock under my mattress with that 20% down, instead of it being invested in a house with monthly payments I can't make.

Only in Christ, can a person find stability. Theses investment have forever stayed stable.

The politicians tweak this nation for their political friends. Our government is system is full of corruption, & that is not changing, no matter who is elected to what office.

Louisiana had an Inspector General, but their governor is refusing to fund this office. Strange. The IG's only job is to root out corruption, its citizens only place to report corruption, & feel safe from political death, yet not only political death, even physical death, if you mess with the wrong ones. That state has been known for many years of having a complete corrupt political system & it seems to be business as usual.

• Members

If the poor are truly getting poorer, part of the reason is that Americans don't know how to work. The opportunity for advancement is still out there....its just not being used.

I agree the government is doing a terrible job...gas prices, etc....everything is going up....but with all the welfare comes tons of people who won't work, or who are tired of working.

I'm in the process of growing a small business which I hope will be even MORE profitable than it has been in the past. I will never be rich, but I am definitely not the "poor getting poorer". I would like to consider myself the "poor working her way up as much as possible".

If I can do it.....others can too.

Herman Cain said his father worked three jobs until he could afford to live off two, and then he worked two jobs until he could afford to live off one. I don't know very many people with that mentality today.

• Members

Yes, that's a big slap in the face of many hard working people in America, yet there's many that feel that way. But that's OK, I know of many honest, hard working people, that are poor. My family was poor people, but honest, paid their own way, but, probably some looked down on them. I been among the poor all my life.

Not far from me when growing up was a large peach orchard, they had several people working for them, furnished them a square looking box type house house with no pain on it to live in. The could not hold down 3 jobs, they hearted with fire wood, of course they had to cut, chop, their own fire wood, on their own time, after having worked from dawn to dust, & days per week in peach season, 6 days per week during off season. But, most of the were hard working, honest as can be, but many looked down on them & their children.

• Members

I didn't say you have to be rich. But I'm saying there should be no complaints about those who are rich. If a person wants to be rich, they should get out there and try to make it happen. If they are content in their lot in life, then that's great too! Nothing to look down on that. My husband grew up very poor. I don't look down on the poor at all. NOR do I look down on the rich.

• Members

Mr. Romney, has no Christian values, he is not a Christian, he thinks to much of himself, he believes he will become a God one day, for he worships a Jesus that they claim was good enough to become a God. He does not worship the Jesus that was the Son of God, that was both fully God & fully man, that died on the cross for the lost sinners. He has done more for the false religion of Mormonism than any man in modern history. Because of him, perhaps thousands, & thousands, upon thousands more will take to the false religion of Mormonism & be doomed for hell in eternity. And every Christian that promotes him, supports him, votes for him, will be helping that cause.

I am neither jealous of his wealth, what he has, nor his popularity, nor do I lust for anything he had. I feel sorry for the man, because he has not the real Jesus, he is holding on to a false hope. This life he now lives is good as it gets for him, for in eternity if the Bible is true, he will suffer with the rich man, in torment forever, & he will more than likely leads all his loved ones to the same fate.

We live in an age that even among professing believes, they stress education in order to have money & the better life than they do Jesus. They respect wealth more than God, so they can have the good life, much more than they do in Jesus. You do not have to have the better life, higher education, lots of money, to walk with Jesus, & be a good Christian. In fact, its more difficult to trust God if you have that education, have the better life, & the money that goes with it, which is what many professing believers are stressing & teaching their children.

Jesus is the answer, not education, not the better life, not a bank full of money.

Mt 19:23 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, Verily I say unto you, That a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven.

Why? Because he cannot trust in anything else but himself, & his money.

Its true, Jesus can set a person completely free from, the lust of the flesh, lust of the eyes, & the pride of life, even this world.

Joh 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

Joh 8:36 If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed.

Today, many professing Christians have not been truly set free of the lust of the flesh, lust of the eyes, & the pride of life, for they’re trying to straddle the fence so they can have the best of what this world offers, along with the best God offers.

With Jesus a person can overcome this world, just as Jesus did.

1Pe 2:16 As free, and not using your liberty for a cloke of maliciousness, but as the servants of God.

1Jo 2:12 ¶ I write unto you, little children, because your sins are forgiven you for his name's sake.
1Jo 2:13 I write unto you, fathers, because ye have known him that is from the beginning. I write unto you, young men, because ye have overcome the wicked one. I write unto you, little children, because ye have known the Father.
1Jo 2:14 I have written unto you, fathers, because ye have known him that is from the beginning. I have written unto you, young men, because ye are strong, and the word of God abideth in you, and ye have overcome the wicked one.
1Jo 2:15 Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.
1Jo 2:16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.

Yes, Jesus can set us free, free indeed, from worldly ambitions, pursuits, our ambition, our desires will all be focused on the will of God, doing that which pleases Him.

As for me, I have little money, yet I’m a Millionaire, this old hymn explains it very good.

I’m a Millionaire

I am now a child of God, I’ve been washed in Jesus’ blood,
Making me an heir to wealth beyond compare;
So while here I press along, Daily this shall be my song,
I’m a happy, (happy, happy) millionaire.
I’m a millionaire, (I’m a millionaire,)
My Father is rich in houses and lands and I’m His heir,
(I am His heir) I’m a millionaire
I’m a millionaire, I’m a happy millionaire.

I had rather serve my Lord, Feast upon His holy word,
Than to own the world with all its jewels rare;
By His Spirit I am led, and on milk and honey fed,

Lord, I’d rather worship Thee with the people who are free,
Than the pleasures of this world a season share,
For my Father is the King, and His praise I’ll ever sing,

Since salvation now is mine for the Lord I’ll shout and shine,
Thou I have to go thru life on meager fare;
Rich is grace beyond recall, for my Father owns it all,

• Members

I didn't say you have to be rich. But I'm saying there should be no complaints about those who are rich. If a person wants to be rich, they should get out there and try to make it happen. If they are content in their lot in life, then that's great too! Nothing to look down on that. My husband grew up very poor. I don't look down on the poor at all. NOR do I look down on the rich.

I beg to disagree that there should be no complaints about those who are rich.

KJV'>Matthew 19:23
Then said Jesus unto his disciples, Verily I say unto you, That a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven.

KJV'>Matthew 19:24
And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

KJV'>1 Timothy 6:10
For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

The Bible also warns us about people who don't work.

KJV'>2 Thessalonians 3:10
For even when we were with you, this we commanded you, that if any would not work, neither should he eat.

Quote: If a person wants to be rich, they should get out there and try to make it happen.

How many of the "rich" made it happen through honest, God fearing, hard work by the sweat of their brow? How many of those with earthly riches, today, will enter the kingdom of heaven?

When the love of money is put before the love of God, in accumulating/using material wealth, then shouldn't we be critical?

I'm as critical of the excesses of "riches" as I am the person who won't work to put food on his table for his family. And, yes, I try hard to keep the beam out of my own eye.

In closing, I grew up dirt poor on a sharecropper farm. Hand-me-down clothes were the norm. Neckbones, fatback, and beans were routine fare at the table. My parents taught me to be thankful there were beans on the table. Worked hard all my life and accumulated a little. That's enough for me. Thanks to the Lord, I have absolutely no desire for more than that. No, I don't want a fancy new car, designer clothes, or any of the trappings associated with being "rich". Or, giving the appearance of being "rich" with material things.

I am blessed in "riches" in more ways than I can count, as I know my Saviour is keeping tally in heaven for me.

• Members

This sounds more like a democratic national convention. The wealthy in this country create the jobs for the rest of us. Money is not the root of all evil. The love of it is. I am not wealthy. My kids see parents by their friends cars for their birthday and my kids get a small gift. I would not consider myself poor either. I am a hard working individual who works to provide for my family. There are way too many people in this country who think that they don't have to work because the government will take care of them.

God's Word makes it clear that we, as husbands, are to take care of our family. We need to stop complaining about those who have worked hard and made wealth.

• Members

Exactly, PastorJ!!!!!! I don't get the idea that "the rich are lazy"....um NO! Anyone pay attention to Herman Cain? He is very wealthy and worked for every penny!!!! From the ground up! MOST wealthy people get rich that way, with a combination of wits, brains, hard work, and a bit of luck (fortune, God's grace, good coincidences, knowing the right people, what have you). We have people in our church who are fairly wealthy and own two homes but they were just both public school teachers and just managed their finances well. My grandparents were the same way...worked hard and did extra stuff on the side, and retired in Hawaii.

I can't stand when people begrudge other people the wealth they worked for...plus, like PastorJ said, the wealthy create jobs for the rest of us. Who is supposed to give us our paychecks, anyway.....the government??? Because that's what's left, if there are no more wealthy.

• Members

I bought our place Nov, 2010 w/o a mortgage.

In Wyoming! :-)

I figure if you can do it without a mortgage, then go for it! Many cannot.... and its a waste to pay rent every month if you can use the same money towards a mortgage. Its better use of God's money to invest it in a mortgage than throw it away on rent, if the amount is the same.