• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Homeschooling Advice?

• Members

As my wife is now 4 months with our first I need to start prepping for homeschooling. As I work from home and am more suited to the task we have decided that I will be responsible for this and seeing that I wasn't the best kid at school all advice would be appreciated.

I home schooled my six children. I would like share my experience and reflections.

Additionally, I am 17 yrs postdoctoral Ed.D.

The regulations are different in each state. Some states require periodical student testing while other states do not. Some states allow the word “diploma” to be used upon graduation while others mandate the term
“certificate of completion”.

One of my children wanted to attend a prelaw college and needed a scholarship

which required attendance at an accredited high school. She insisted upon it

and the court granted her demand. She has subsequently completed college.

My other five children remained in home school and have not attended college.

The central issues for Christian home schooling are curriculum and school environment.

Originally I was convinced the Christian home school was the best, yet now I realize

the home school limited my children’s opportunities. A home school

diploma or certificate of completion would be accepted in some colleges

including state junior colleges.

You can see the dilemma. I think the deciding factor is how well the student does

in a non-Christian school. If the religious education at home and church does offset

the non-Christian instruction from the non-Christian school and the student

maintains spiritual growth and behavior, I would choose the accredited school.

• Members

Is there really a way to off-set the influence a public school has on a student? Generally by the time you know the bad influence it has on you child, student, it will be to late.

How can a parent do as this verse speaks of when they send their child to a public school?

De 6:7 And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up.

• Members

Is there really a way to off-set the influence a public school has on a student? Generally by the time you know the bad influence it has on you child, student, it will be to late.

How can a parent do as this verse speaks of when they send their child to a public school?

De 6:7 And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up.

Public schools are the devils den. One can't "offset" the effects of 185 days a year for 12 years of ungodly instruction with a few hours of church.

Homeschoolers today are in all professions, the only real limits are the ones we accept and where the Lord closes doors.

In America there are 50 States one can choose from if they are interested in specific things. Also, there are several options available online which will provide a homeschooled child with an accredited high school diploma.

Even in stricter states, there are ways to achieve the goals desired. Once a student has graduated homeschool, or sometimes even before, they begin taking classes at a local college or community college. Once they have their two year college degree in hand they can use that to transfer to a college with higher admission requirements. Some students choose to take the GED after finishing homeschool and go on from there.

Homeschooling is only restrictive if we allow it to be. God is the Master of opening the right doors!

• Members

There is a simple solution - Enroll your child in an accredited program like Abeka Video School. Had my children completed their schooling at home, they would have received a diploma from the Abeka Christian Academy.

• Members

There is a simple solution - Enroll your child in an accredited program like Abeka Video School. Had my children completed their schooling at home, they would have received a diploma from the Abeka Christian Academy.

That is one of the very good options out there.

• Members

What about college scholarships ?

When young, parents can make choices for their children, yet for many children after having their education & reaching 18 or older, that is no longer true for many parents. At least when they hit college they will be a bit more mature & not 5 or 6 years of age & hopefully saved, and have solid Bible teaching in their heart because of their parents efforts. But there are Christian colleges out there.

And, if it can't be got at a Christian college, perhaps God is closing the door on that profession. Besides, many college graduates never work at what they went to college for.

• Members

We too often forget that God has a plan for our lives and that plan may have nothing to do with what we want to have as a career choice. Too many Christians fail to seek the will of God for their lives. Instead they make their own plans and then ask God to bless them. That's putting ourselves on the throne. Not good!

• Members

Isn't a Christian's career completely up to them, & they can chose the highest paying career they can find if they so desire no matter what that career may or what lines it may cross just as long as they settle down & get into some church after getting that education placing 10% of what they make in the collection plate?

Recently one Christian started a restaurant that has a full bar serving alcoholic beverages & he sees no conflict with teachings in the Bible. This was my nephew. His father, whose marriages to my wife's twin sister was broke up because he played music in night clubs, honky tonks, told his son, "this is the worse mistake that you have ever made."

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Isn't a Christian's career completely up to them, & they can chose the highest paying career they can find if they so desire no matter what that career may or what lines it may cross just as long as they settle down & get into some church after getting that education placing 10% of what they make in the collection plate?

Recently one Christian started a restaurant that has a full bar serving alcoholic beverages & he sees no conflict with teachings in the Bible. This was my nephew. His father, whose marriages to my wife's twin sister was broke up because he played music in night clubs, honky tonks, told his son, "this is the worse mistake that you have ever made."

Yes and no. Yes, they are completely free to do whatever they want to do as a career. But I believe that every Christian should constantly seek the Lord's Will as to what He wants them to do. Each and every person was put here for a purpose, and that is to further the Will of God. A lot of the time, Christians think that only Pastors and other ministry workers should seek God's counsel and guidance, since they are directly involved with leading the flock. These Christians see themselves as just "everyday, normal Christians" with no calling to the ministry field, so they don't see the need to consult God.

25 Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment?

26 Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they?

27 Which of you by taking thought can add one cubit unto his stature?

28 And why take ye thought for raiment? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin:

29 And yet I say unto you, That even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.

30 Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which to day is, and to morrow is cast into the oven, shall he not much more clothe you, O ye of little faith?

31 Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed?

32 (For after all these things do the Gentiles seek:) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things.

33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

34 Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.

This passage (Matthew 6:25-34) is talking about all Christians. So I believe that, while Christians can ultimately choose to do whatever they want, we are commanded essentially to seek the Lord's Will for our lives. Edited by Fixation

• Members

Fixation, Sad to say we do have many Sunday Christians, & even many more that are just Christian on only Sunday's when they can't find nothing better to do. Plus, both of theses groups are Christian when a loved one is very ill, or they them self are on this death bed. These people wants all of God's benefits, yet they do not want God in their life on a daily basics, especially how they earn their income.

Sad few Christians are like Moses that gives up the riches of Egypt to follow Jesus, & many are like Lot, they run as fast as they can towards the bright light cities becoming as one who mocks God.

Ge 19:14 And Lot went out, and spake unto his sons in law, which married his daughters, and said, Up, get you out of this place; for the LORD will destroy this city. But he seemed as one that mocked unto his sons in law.

Thank goodness we are saved by grace, not by the life we live.

• Members

Fixation, Sad to say we do have many Sunday Christians, & even many more that are just Christian on only Sunday's when they can't find nothing better to do. Plus, both of theses groups are Christian when a loved one is very ill, or they them self are on this death bed. These people wants all of God's benefits, yet they do not want God in their life on a daily basics, especially how they earn their income.

Sad few Christians are like Moses that gives up the riches of Egypt to follow Jesus, & many are like Lot, they run as fast as they can towards the bright light cities becoming as one who mocks God.

Ge 19:14 And Lot went out, and spake unto his sons in law, which married his daughters, and said, Up, get you out of this place; for the LORD will destroy this city. But he seemed as one that mocked unto his sons in law.

Thank goodness we are saved by grace, not by the life we live.

Amen to that!