• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

The Real Inquisition

• Members

To understand the Inquisition we have to remember that the Middle Ages were, well, medieval. We should not expect people in the past to view the world and their place in it the way we do today. (You try living through the Black Death and see how it changes your attitude.) For people who lived during those times, religion was not something one did just at church. It was science, philosophy, politics, identity, and hope for salvation. It was not a personal preference but an abiding and universal truth. Heresy, then, struck at the heart of that truth. It doomed the heretic, endangered those near him, and tore apart the fabric of community. from The Real Inquistion

When I was reading this, I though of the topic Suzy, Kitagrl, posted, that church members come to church on Sunday, & that its, they feel they have fulfilled their Christian obligation for that week. In this article it says, or seems to say, in that day their religion was important to them, & they lived it 7 days per week. No doubt in my mind, its more so this way than it was when I was a young boy. For instants, when I was a young boy the public school would never schedule any school event on a Sunday, a Wednesday evening, or even while a church was having revival services. If they did, many would not show up. But today our public school has baseball games on Sunday evening, Wednesday evening, & many church people show up at them, for it seems church attendance is of little importance, just as living the Christians life is of no importance to many. And outside of church it seems most of us fear to talk about God, invited people to church, & especially never confront anyone about being saved.

How many of us have done as Joshua did?

Jos 24:15 ¶ And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.

Take a stand for God so that everyone knows exactly where you stand.

And how about our family members, how many of our family members, or close friends, have we confronted with the Gospel of Jesus Christ?

Look what the Bible says about Abraham.

Genesis 18:19 For I know him, that he will command his children and his household after him, and they shall keep the way of the LORD, to do justice and judgment; that the LORD may bring upon Abraham that which he hath spoken of him.

Its quite clear, both Abraham & Joshua wanted to be sure their family knew the Lord thy God, & live, walked, & talked the Christian life.

How many of us are more like Lot, worldly affairs are our most important thing. & if we were to talek about God, & like Lot, if we mention God, we are seen as Lots son-in-laws saw him.

Genesis 19:14 But he seemed as one that mocked unto his sons in law.

God, Jesus, & church attendance, ought to be the most important thing for us, & anyone that knows us, there should not be a doubt in their mind that we are different, we are peculiar, that we walk with God, 7 days every week. But are there any left that lives that way? And to think, we have so much freedom, yet back in the days this article is about, your belief in God could be a death sentence, & of course, many died for Christ in those days.

Today, Americans, even American Christians, will die for this country, our freedom, yet how many of us Christians will live our life for Christ, 7 days per week, & die for Him if it came down to it?

• Members

Jerry, I'll follow the link, in a bit, to finish reading the article.

I'm still a novice with regards to studying the history of our faith, having only seriously dived into this subject in the last two years. Feeding Christians to the lions, dark ages, inquisitions, all the way up to persecution today in some parts of the world was just something that happened and really had no bearing on me. That is, until the Holy Spirit led me to read histories again with "new" eyes. Beginning with what Jesus Christ suffered for me. Continuing with what others have suffered over the centuries to ensure that we have God's word today. Today, people are still giving their physical lives in modern day equivalents to the inquisition.

Often during my studies, I've questioned myself. Will I have the strength to give my all to Christ, if I'm faced with with the horror of what others have faced in the past? Me? No. Simply because I know the struggle I have, with insignificant things when compared to giving my life. I can't do it without help. Thus, the prayer that the Holy Spirit will give me the strength to face, with a willing heart, whatever comes about between now and the end of my life on earth.

You ended your post with a good question about Christians and 24/7. My personal answer to the latter part of your question is above. When I look around me, I'm asking the same question, too. While I can't know what's in other Christian's hearts, their fruit is easy to see, in far too many cases.

* When American Idol had a finalist from NC, people wanted to rush choir practice to get home to watch the TV.
* Left Sunday morning worship early to prepare for the Superbowl activities.
* Can't come to services, as they're out selling Girl Scout cookies.
* Spent last weekend at the beach (frequently).
* Have an early tee time with my buddies.
* Excuses, Excuses.........

Yes, I've seen the changes you mentioned. Even remember when "blue laws" were in effect. Retail businesses were closed to allow employees time to go to church. And, it was a temptation removed from others who wanted to shop till they dropped. People had to prepare on Saturday, or do without, as all the stores in our small town closed all day Sunday. Gradually that changed as laws were changed, and chain stores set up shop.

I'm not sure where I'm heading with this post, so it's probably time to close it. Thank you for much to think about this morning. And, to pray about, too. May the Lord give each of us the strength of our convictions to face whatever today may bring that's a challenge to our faith. In Jesus name, I pray. Amen

• Members

Indeed we are called to love God with all we are and all we have. Every aspect of our lives is to reflect Christ, as Matthew 5:16 clearly tells us.

I've taken much flak from family, friends and others for living my faith. During that time I've seen many professing Christians fall away or become very watered down and worldly. While most of my family continues to resist the Spirit, I've been blessed to have even a small part in helping some friends and strangers be born again in Christ.

Most people don't mind if you are a Christian, but they do mind if you actually live your life as a biblical Christian.

• Members

Of course we are no bother to them when we refuse to let Christ live though us, just look at how the world loves those high profile prosperity & feel good preachers, & most of those preachers are living the high life off of God.

The Bible is correct in Galatians, we will receive what we sow, & God will not be mocked, not by no one.

• Members

There are mostly social Christians in our culture. They go to church, sometimes once or twice a year, maybe even twice a week. They feed the poor, work at thrift stores, help with a myriad of causes, and in general are 'good' people.

In Alliance Nebraska, the ministerial association had a falling away. The Episcopal, Methodist, Lutheran (ELCA), Church of God (Davenport), and several others got a by-law passed that they would accept any person who wanted to feed the poor and help the community. This would include, as we discussed it, include Jehovah Witnesses, Mormons, Islamists, and GLAD. They would all have a seat on the ministerial board.
The Berean, First Baptist, and Good Samaritan Society left. We formed a Christian Ministerial Association.

It is just plain lousy when 'Christian' ministers are so...so...so-so.

• Members

Agreed, particularly family members who are not saved....they seem to me to be the most critical.

That is true. Plus, may I say this.

A fellow Christian, that has fallen into sin, especially someone close to you, family member, or close friend, many times when you try & talk with them, pointing out their sin, they to will or may get very critical of you, perhaps even pointing out your ever fault, using Holy Scriptures out of context telling you not to cast the 1st stone. My guess is, if they will attack us, the speaker, that makes them feel better about their self, & their sin does not seem so bad to them.

I had this happen, it was a person that was very close to me, someone I had always been able to talk with, about any matter, yet on that occasion they attacked me as if I was their worse enemy, because I tried to show, & tell them, it was wrong to get a divorce, them start shacking up with different ones.

If I had never mentioned his sin, he was living in adultery, acting as if nothing had changed, he probably would have stayed friends. But when a fellow believer turns to sin, I can't be their best friend acting as if nothing has changed. I have to try & get them back on track, even though that is a very hard task to take on.

2Th 3:14 And if any man obey not our word by this epistle, note that man, and have no company with him, that he may be ashamed.
2Th 3:15 Yet count him not as an enemy, but admonish him as a brother.

And I cannot treat him as I had in the past.

• Members

That is true. Plus, may I say this.

A fellow Christian, that has fallen into sin, especially someone close to you, family member, or close friend, many times when you try & talk with them, pointing out their sin, they to will or may get very critical of you, perhaps even pointing out your ever fault, using Holy Scriptures out of context telling you not to cast the 1st stone. My guess is, if they will attack us, the speaker, that makes them feel better about their self, & their sin does not seem so bad to them.

I had this happen, it was a person that was very close to me, someone I had always been able to talk with, about any matter, yet on that occasion they attacked me as if I was their worse enemy, because I tried to show, & tell them, it was wrong to get a divorce, them start shacking up with different ones.

If I had never mentioned his sin, he was living in adultery, acting as if nothing had changed, he probably would have stayed friends. But when a fellow believer turns to sin, I can't be their best friend acting as if nothing has changed. I have to try & get them back on track, even though that is a very hard task to take on.

2Th 3:14 And if any man obey not our word by this epistle, note that man, and have no company with him, that he may be ashamed.
2Th 3:15 Yet count him not as an enemy, but admonish him as a brother.

And I cannot treat him as I had in the past.

I've found it very common for many Christians to get upset at the idea we are supposed to actually live our lives in accord with Scripture. All too often those who uphold the biblical admonition to obey the Word of God are called legalists, Pharisees, Bible thumpers, militant fundamentalists, holier than thou and worse.

Time and again I hear Christians say that no one should say we should live by the Word of God unless they themselves liver perfectly by the Word of God. That's not what Scripture teaches.

• Members

There are mostly social Christians in our culture. They go to church, sometimes once or twice a year, maybe even twice a week. They feed the poor, work at thrift stores, help with a myriad of causes, and in general are 'good' people.

In Alliance Nebraska, the ministerial association had a falling away. The Episcopal, Methodist, Lutheran (ELCA), Church of God (Davenport), and several others got a by-law passed that they would accept any person who wanted to feed the poor and help the community. This would include, as we discussed it, include Jehovah Witnesses, Mormons, Islamists, and GLAD. They would all have a seat on the ministerial board.
The Berean, First Baptist, and Good Samaritan Society left. We formed a Christian Ministerial Association.

It is just plain lousy when 'Christian' ministers are so...so...so-so.

The churches you mentioned have never taught whole Bible truths, so they did not just fall away, they've always been away. And for the past few years the Methodist have had TV advertising saying, Come visit us, no matter what you believe, we will never say anything to cause you feel uncomfortable or cause you to have convictions.

The local SBC Church in the small town close by, they gather together with the churches you mentioned to worship together, even letting their pastor preach from their pulpit declaring works base salvation.

• Members

I've found it very common for many Christians to get upset at the idea we are supposed to actually live our lives in accord with Scripture. All too often those who uphold the biblical admonition to obey the Word of God are called legalists, Pharisees, Bible thumpers, militant fundamentalists, holier than thou and worse.

Time and again I hear Christians say that no one should say we should live by the Word of God unless they themselves liver perfectly by the Word of God. That's not what Scripture teaches.

True, & even though its tough, & our friend, or even family member may turn on us, if they fall into sin, we must do what we can, make the effort to help them, as God instruced Nathan to go to his friend.

2Sa 7:4 ¶ And it came to pass that night, that the word of the LORD came unto Nathan, saying,
2Sa 7:5 Go and tell my servant David, Thus saith the LORD, Shalt thou build me an house for me to dwell in?