• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Probably A Dumb Question....

• Members

It probably is because the answer is also probably here in the forum somewhere. OK, here goes.

Why is the Tools for Ministry forum "protected"? I understand the reasoning behind having protected forums where men and women can freely discuss gender related matters.

As a layman, I can't in good faith, ask to be permitted to participate there, as I don't hold any "office" in my church. Yet, shouldn't I be able to learn of and use any "tools" that God provides in my witness and fellowship?

BTW, it's not a big issue, as I'm a guest in the "home" of those who created and maintain this meeting place. Just wondering........

Edited by Oldtimer

• Members

I'm not completely sure but I think its because sometimes there is a slight divide between "full time ministry" people and "laypeople" (as much as I hate to use those terms) and there would be a chance for misunderstandings if more personal things were posted by those in full time ministry. I could be wrong though...Bro Matt would have the best answer, maybe you could private message him about it. Its actually not a super active forum so I don't think you're really missing a whole ton...

Hope you enjoy the rest of the forum though!

• Members

I'm not a moderator or anything, but I will try o help answer this question.

I recall when that forum was added, some of us pastors wanted a forum to discuss issues, get help from other pastors on issues, as we do the work God has called us to. And we did not want it open to everyone.

Actually, in a way, its no different than have a forums that are only for men or women which you mentioned, which this message board has. I would never dream of questioning why they excluded me from the women's forum. I know that the women have issues that they would like to discuss where only women are allowed, & I highly respect that right. And I agree its a great thing for them. And us pastor feel we need such a place, & we hoped it would be respected by all.

That forum is not there to discuss people that post on this forum that are excluded from that forum, its there to ONLY help the pastors & ect. And it has been a help, & some have sought advise there that if it was open to everyone they would not have sough the needed help.

• Members

Thanks for your replies.

I suspect the term "tools" lead to my misunderstanding. Thought that perhaps, additional "tools" (resources) that our church could use were sitting just beyond a locked door. One of the things that has become routine is to forward links to people in our church on anything that has a good likelyhood to help them in their ministries. Whether it's the pastor, a deacon, or a Sunday school teacher, etc.

BTW, I should acknowledge, while I'm on this subject, how helpful this site has been and is in this regard. References from quite a number of posts have been forwarded. Just further evidence of how far reaching is the good fruit that's being displayed here.

Thank you, one an all, for helping me to grow in Christ and providing fruit to help others grow, too.

• Members

Your welcome, & I might say, it was not a dumb question, there's no dumb questions, although I being a human will give a dumb answer once in a while not meaning to.

And of course, the system used to keep that forum for only Pastors, Evangelists, Missionaries, Youth Pastor, assistant pastors and their wives, is the honor system. I think that is a great system to use & I thank Bro. Matt for using it.