• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

• Members

Tithing? What happened to grace? If a man has to tithe, them there's no grace in that, & he cannot give cheerfully to His Lord.

And who gives the most, the rich man that gives 10% of everything, or the widow that gives two mites?

Mr 12:42 And there came a certain poor widow, and she threw in two mites, which make a farthing.

Of course many are stuck on tithing, & refuse to give it up.

• Members

Tithing? What happened to grace? If a man has to tithe, them there's no grace in that, & he cannot give cheerfully to His Lord.

And who gives the most, the rich man that gives 10% of everything, or the widow that gives two mites?

Mr 12:42 And there came a certain poor widow, and she threw in two mites, which make a farthing.

Of course many are stuck on tithing, & refuse to give it up.

I'm not "stuck" on tithing. I'm just asking if it's morally right to tithe from money intended to support my daughter that's all. You are assuming things that aren't true. A polite answer is all I am looking for, not chastisement to your assumptions.

• Members

I gave a polite answer. I surely was not being mean spirited when I wrote that post, I was just giving my opinion on the subject. And obviously my answer would be a simple no, if I don't believe in tithing.

Although some have been mean spirited to be for being against tithing on this forum, even accusing me of robbing God. This past year I gave WAY over 10% of my earnings to the Lord and I do not believe in tithing.

Sorry that I wrote my post in a manner that would make you think I not being polite.

• Members

Should I tithe from the child support I receive for my daughter?

This is a question that you'll have to answer for yourself, as each person has to do according to how the Holy Spirit leads them. The only thing we can do is offer some advice, based on our own lives and how the Holy Spirit moves within us, individually.

The Lord only asks that we be a cheerful giver in all that we give for His glory. Give without regret or hesitation or reluctance. While we must render unto Caesar, most of us certainly don't do that cheerfully. At least I don't. Taxes are paid because they must be paid or face Caesar's penalties. When Christ died on the cross for us, He erased the "tax codes" of the old covernant and mandates within them. From the blessings that are bestowed upon us, we can freely choose how much we return to Him.

That said, we tithe. Not because we have to give, but because we want to give that baseline amount because there is biblical historical reference to giving 10%. Sometimes I wish that another term could be coined to replace "tithe" from the OT. A single word that could convey the scope of how we, as individual believers, chose to follow what's in our hearts, with our offerings to the Lord. Not only with dollars, but even more so with what/how we give of ourselves. Certainly God doesn't need our gold, He needs us. FREELY giving x percentage of our gold back to Him for use by His church, is simply one way to give of ourselves. He also rejoices, when we give of ourselves in other ways of service to Him and for His glory. How much time do we offer to Him each day? Each week? How much time do we devote to Him that's beyond what's considered by many to be our Sunday obligation?

Every Sunday, or any other ministry/activity that we consider to be an "obligation", in the same sense as paying taxes, is something that God does not want from us, IMHO. Go to church on Sunday morning with the joy of having the opportunity to worship in fellowship with others. Or, wake up Sunday morning, wishing we could be doing something else, from sleeping late to mowing the lawn. Which offering of our Sunday morning time is pleasing to the Lord? Again, IMHO, this is the same principle that's involved with giving dollars, regardless of what label is applied to them or the % of our total they represent.

A FWIW.... We are blessed in that we've lived long enough to be retired and are living on a fixed income. I haven't tried to calculate the percentage of the time we give to the Lord each week. There's no point in doing so, as the Lord knows those hours given in His service, are given with praise to Him that we are able to do so. Because of the necessity of filing tax returns, it's a simple matter to calculate monetary numbers. While we tithe on the gross (BTW) , the estimate (I don't keep up with everything) is that our total return of our income to Him is well in excess of 20%. Given without hesitation or regret.

For another person, as the Holy Spirit leads them, that percentage may be 5% or 45%. I believe the Lord looks upon those equally, when freely given, from the heart, rather than some "mandate".

Pray about the child support for your daughter. If she is old enough, talk to her, too. Pray with her. And, then listen to the quiet still voice of the Holy Spirit. You'll know, in your heart, what's right in the eyes of God.

I hope you'll find within these words, some small token of guidance towards finding the answer to your question..

• Members

Is it too much for the Lord to ask of you? I do mean it mean, I am saying YES, I believe it is income, just as we tithe from our work income. The Lord will see to it that your needs are met if you will do right. I know...I've been there!

• Members

If the child support is form a Christian, then perhaps the tithe is already been paid. It is my opinion that 100% of the child support should go to the child; for it is the responsiblity of the one receiving the income in the first place, to pay all taxes, the child support, and to pay tithe in full.
If you look into the original law of tithing; tithing was to support the priest, the widow, the fatherless, the poor, the stranger; but they were never required to pay a tithe from what they received, it is their support.

• Members

Jerry, thanks for your apology to the OP....I hope you'll be gentle in your posts, especially towards newer members. Wise as serpents and harmless as doves....

To answer the OP....if the husband is tithing off his income before he sends you the money, then I would think you would not need to tithe off of it. But if its untithed money, then its income for you, and God would bless you for tithing. If God is leading you to tithe, then do so, and you will see His provision!

• Members

Jerry, thanks for your apology to the OP....I hope you'll be gentle in your posts, especially towards newer members. Wise as serpents and harmless as doves....

To answer the OP....if the husband is tithing off his income before he sends you the money, then I would think you would not need to tithe off of it. But if its untithed money, then its income for you, and God would bless you for tithing. If God is leading you to tithe, then do so, and you will see His provision!

Wow, I wrote this, & you had to jump in.

"Sorry that I wrote my post in a manner that would make you think I not being polite. "

• Members

One thing to remember is the tithe was for Old Testament Jews used as a means to support the Levitical priesthood and their version of welfare.

Christians are commanded to give as the Lord leads, no specific percentage or dollar figure commanded. No matter what our income or our situation in life, God knows how much we should give and if we submit to His lordship in our lives we will know how much to give in accord with His will.

During the last month of December 2011 as I was reading a Christian book the Lord clearly spoke to me with regards to our giving. I set the book down and spent some time with the Lord in prayer. Our giving this year is different than what the Lord had us give last year and to where we give. One ministry we used to give to a few times a year the Lord directed us to stop giving to. At the same time, the Lord directed us to give more to our home church as well as with regards to some missionary giving and help for the needy.

I only use the above from our life as an example of how the Lord leads in how much and where we are to give for His glory and honour.

• Members

Be right with God and pray about it. God will tell you what you should do.

Let me ask a question. and I am not asking for nor a wanting to start a debate on this subject, many of us already knows where each other stands on this issue, for we have had topics several times in the past.

If one person says the Lord leads me to tithe, & another person says God does not lead me to tithe, who is right? Can they both be right?

• Members

Let me ask a question. and I am not asking for nor a wanting to start a debate on this subject, many of us already knows where each other stands on this issue, for we have had topics several times in the past.

If one person says the Lord leads me to tithe, & another person says God does not lead me to tithe, who is right? Can they both be right?

That would depend upon whether the Lord is directly leading them to tithe or they are basing their decision to tithe off of OT commands for Jews under the Levitical system.

God could direct someone to tithe, but He's not going to direct them to tithe in order to obey a system established for the Jewish Levitical system.

Myself, the Lord has never directed me to give in accordance with any percentage. The Lord has always given me a specific dollar amount to give.

Whatever our giving, unless it is in accord with New Testament directions for Christians, it's not from the Lord.