• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Movie: The Time Changer

Guest Joshua Berndt

• Administrators

I didn't get any mixed message about salvation from the movie. I think mayhap the comments need to be taken in context of what he's saying. It's been a while since I've seen it, but I certainly didn't get any Lordship Salvation impression from anything in the movie.

And, FWIW, God CAN command anyone. But He wants the willing....

• Administrators

Netflix does have Time Changer, Matt. But only for the mailing accounts. They do not have it for instant viewing.

Walmart.com has the movie for 11.50. Not a bad price if you can afford it.

If you still have a VHS, you can get Time Changer for 3.99 on Amazon.com.

If you get the chance to watch it, do so. You will be impressed, I am sure.

Thank You, I'll head to Walmart this weekend to see if they have it.

Guest Joshua Berndt

Ok, I get what you're saying, but what if you looked at it this way. If someone said "God, I want you to save me from hell, but I don't want you to touch anything in my life. I'm still in charge of it, and that's not going to change." Would that person be able to be saved? I don't believe that a person has to renounce or give up anything to be saved - that's lordship salvation and is wrong. But one has to recognize that they are giving themselves over to God and things will be different. In that sense, I could accept the statement made in the film

If someone prayed that prayer you wrote, I don't think that person would be truly repentant. But it is not necessary to do the opposite either. See, people want instant maturity in new Christians; they want devotion, so they make it a part of the process and create error and no gospel.

Guest Joshua Berndt

Scripture says that Christ is not only Saviour but also Lord. We must accept Christ as both Lord and Saviour, we can't accept Him as only Saviour and reject Him as Lord.

I am not arguing that Christ is not Lord. He is. But you do not have to devote your life to him in some way to be saved. That comes with more maturity; the relinquishing of your life to him. You will not read that the other man on the cross devoted his life to Jesus. I was saved when I repented of sin and trusted Christ as my Saviour. I was quite a bit older when I told God to use my life according to His will.

When you add "devotion of life" to the gospel, you no longer have the gospel but the heresy of the Roman Catlicking "church." You have "good" works.

Guest Joshua Berndt

Besides the mixed salvation message its a great movie, I rather have a family watch time changer over back to the future.

I would much rather my future children watch Back to the Future than The Time Changer. Foul language is only dangerous to a point. I wouldn't want them hearing it. But spiritual error is a much greater danger. I don't want children with false assurance of salvation.

Guest Joshua Berndt

I didn't get any mixed message about salvation from the movie. I think mayhap the comments need to be taken in context of what he's saying. It's been a while since I've seen it, but I certainly didn't get any Lordship Salvation impression from anything in the movie.

And, FWIW, God CAN command anyone. But He wants the willing....

It is clearly taught in the scene. Also, none of us are willing. He makes us willing. For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of [his] good pleasure. - Philippians 2:13 KJV

• Members

I am not arguing that Christ is not Lord. He is. But you do not have to devote your life to him in some way to be saved. That comes with more maturity; the relinquishing of your life to him. You will not read that the other man on the cross devoted his life to Jesus. I was saved when I repented of sin and trusted Christ as my Saviour. I was quite a bit older when I told God to use my life according to His will.

When you add "devotion of life" to the gospel, you no longer have the gospel but the heresy of the Roman Catlicking "church." You have "good" works.

I don't think anyone here is saying that when one accepts Jesus as Saviour and Lord, that means they are then and there fully surrrendered to the lordship of Christ in their lives.

It's the simple recognition that when we are born again our life is no longer the same. If we are truly born again, we ARE a new creature, there will be a certain measure of surrender of our old, sinful self to the will of God. That's just the beginning, as we continue on in our new life the Holy Ghost will reveal more to us and guide us more and more to surrender more of our own will and follow the lordship of Christ in our lives more and more. It's a lifelong process of continual and more surrender of ourselves to Christ as Lord.

What's important is that those we present the Gospel to realize the truth that Jesus is Saviour AND Lord, we can't have one without the other. The repentant thief on the cross surrendered his will to Christ's. Both thieves were railing against Christ but something happened and one of them recognized who Jesus was, surrendered to Him and was born again.

What happens most often today is a "cost nothing" message is presented, in which a person is told they just have to "accept Jesus into their heart" by saying a prayer and then go on with their life believing they are headed for heaven. That's unbiblical and leads to false "conversions".

In His teachings, Jesus often pointed out one had to surrender themselves fully to Him. Simply calling Him "Lord" without actually living as He is actually Lord, is meaningless.

• Members

I would much rather my future children watch Back to the Future than The Time Changer. Foul language is only dangerous to a point. I wouldn't want them hearing it. But spiritual error is a much greater danger. I don't want children with false assurance of salvation.

You still haven't put forth what is actually said or done in the movie, specifically, which you object to. Several here who have seen the movie didn't see what you say is there. What, exactly, is it that you saw/heard which you object to?

• Administrators

It is clearly taught in the scene. Also, none of us are willing. He makes us willing. For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of [his] good pleasure. - Philippians 2:13 KJV

Well, I don't remember it, as it's been many years ago. Well, I can see you don't believe in free will of the believer, so I'm not going to argue with you about that. Just know that it isn't a biblical belief. God gives us choices, and we choose. (even the Israelites were told to choose whom they were going to serve). The verse you quoted is for Christians and has nothing to do with salvation. Read the context of the whole chapter and you will see that.