• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Movie: The Time Changer

Guest Joshua Berndt

• Members

While the majority of the world considers "The Passion of the Christ" to be a "Christian" movie, I consider it to be far less than Christian... religious at best.

There are other movies that are considered to be Christian that, because of their content, are rated with a higher rating (I saw one not too long back rated NC-17, but can't for the life of me remember the title)

One scheduled for release later this year is Suing the Devil. From what I hear of it, it should be higher than PG-13.

I don't recall where, but within the past week I saw a tiny review of Suing the Devil but the only thing I remember is whoever reviewed it gave several warnings about the movie.

• Administrators

I saw the title of the move - Suing the Devil - the other day when my hubby and I ordered a couple of movies. The title alone would give me pause of watching it. I just watched the trailer for it. I must say I won't be watching it.

Guest Joshua Berndt

Is that movie with Malcom McDowell? If so, I wouldn't trust it.

P.S. Just a few minutes ago, I checked out THE TIME CHANGER!

Guest Joshua Berndt

Well, I am sorry to say that I do not approve of The Time Changer. I think it gives a Lordship "salvation" presentation. :angry:

• Members

Time changer is my favorite Christian movie, I don't remember Lordship salvation, just a message about a guy from the late 1800's that goes into the future to find out that todays world 2000's the people are living ungodly. His reactions about the Movie theater scene got me laughing so hard each time , I can't eat anything while that scene comes on.
I think its a great movie, I try not to look for Salvation messages when it is teaching about morals.

Guest Joshua Berndt

How so?

He basically says you must be a devoted servant to be saved. He also says, "[God] will not save those he cannot command," which is not true. He can command EVERYONE!

Guest Joshua Berndt

What do you mean by Lordship "salvation" presentation?

I mean that they teach that you must devote your life in some way to God, in order to be saved. That is a lie. I was saved at 3 1/2 years of age. What did I know of devotion? Did the saved man on the cross devote his life to God? No. Devotion is a good work, a step of faith AFTER salvation has already taken place. It is a proof OF salvation, but not a part of salvation.

Guest Joshua Berndt

...I try not to look for Salvation messages when it is teaching about morals.

Maybe that's the problem. I don't want the unsaved stuff which poses as being saved. To add devotion to salvation, is to add a good work, which is the heresy of the Roman Catlicking "church."

• Moderators

Ok, I get what you're saying, but what if you looked at it this way. If someone said "God, I want you to save me from hell, but I don't want you to touch anything in my life. I'm still in charge of it, and that's not going to change." Would that person be able to be saved? I don't believe that a person has to renounce or give up anything to be saved - that's lordship salvation and is wrong. But one has to recognize that they are giving themselves over to God and things will be different. In that sense, I could accept the statement made in the film

• Members

Scripture says that Christ is not only Saviour but also Lord. We must accept Christ as both Lord and Saviour, we can't accept Him as only Saviour and reject Him as Lord.

Christ commented upon this when He asked why people were calling Him Lord when they refused to do the things He says. We are also informed there will be those standing before Christ pointing out all they claim to have done for Him but He will point out that He never knew them. These people were doing their own thing "for the Lord", they had never truly surrendered to Christ and followed Him as Lord.

Jesus tells us if we love Him we will keep His commandments. Throughout the New Testament we see that those who were born again in Christ knew and accepted Him as both Lord and Saviour, there was no idea of accepting Christ as Saviour and going on, or maybe years or decades later deciding to accept Him as Lord also.

Scripture says if we are born again in Christ we are new creatures, not that we will become new creatures, we ARE new creatures. We are told that repentance unto salvation is acknowledging our sin, accepting what God says about this, turning from running our own lives to follow Christ. We can only follow Christ if we accept Him as Lord.

If we claim to have Christ as Saviour yet we continue to walk in our own way that is evidence we should examine our salvation to discover whether we are truly born again or not. If we are truly born again in Christ it will be reflected by our seeking to follow Christ rather than walk in our own ways.