• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Movie: The Time Changer

Guest Joshua Berndt

Guest Joshua Berndt

Tonight at the library, I noticed a movie called, The Time Changer. It appears to be produced by TBN. Does anyone know if this movie is any good or not? If TBN is an acronym for Trinity Broadcasting Network, I am more leery. Thanks.

• Members

I own the movie and believe it to be pretty good. It is better than most Christian movies when it comes to theology. It doesn't have TBN type theology to it even if they are a distributor of some sort. I don't recall how much CCM music it has but I believe much less then most Christian movies. If your library has it I believe it is worth the 90 mins of time to watch it.

• Moderators

I have that movie, too. It is excellent, IMO. It gives a good understanding of how our once nominally-Christian society has come to be where it has today, and includes a good warning against teaching moral views or standards without teaching the principles behind those standards. It's also got some pretty good humour!

• Members

Sadly, some would dismiss the movie because it carries with it a higher than "G" rating. (it is rated "PG")

Some believe "G" rated movies all sin against God. This movie must be utter blasphemy in their eyes.

Ratings mean very little, it's the content and message that determine the "goodness or sin" of a movie. There are many G rated Disney films, for instance, which are full of ungodly messages, where sinful acts are held up as good, fun and beneficial. It's those things, not the G rating that makes them bad.

At the same time, a solid Christian movie may receive a higher rating than a G simply due to what they choose to call violence and how they choose to rate it. That solid Christian movie may be stamped with a PG or PG-13 while a worldly movie with cussing and "bried nudity" will be given the same or lower rating.

Movies rated G, PG and PG-13 can contain a great deal of wickedness because Hollywood's ratings are not based upon Scripture and their own worldly "standards" are very subjective. For instance, movies with similar amounts of "brief nudity" and cussing may not have the same rating; one may be PG while they tag PG-13 on the other.

Content and message is how we should "rate" movies rather than using the worlds unbalanced system.

Guest Joshua Berndt

Ratings mean very little, it's the content and message that determine the "goodness or sin" of a movie.
Content and message is how we should "rate" movies rather than using the worlds unbalanced system.

I agree that ratings mean so little nowadays. I think they used to be more accurate in the '90s. Certainly not in the '70s or even the '80s. I can't tell you how many movies I've checked out that were rated G or PG only to be filth and returned to the library. Blecchhh! Take the more recent movies, Fireproof and Courageous. I think both have PG-13 ratings. That's a bunch of GARBAGE! Those movies are just fine. But another movie, a Hollywood trashy production will have everything and it's brother with a bag of chips in it and that gets a lower rating. Some may not understand that last statement. It means relatively the same thing as "everything and the kitchen sink" or "everybody and their Uncle." I believe that this is deliberate, to scar away those Christians who will naturally shy away from such ratings. I don't know if there is a Christian rating site out there where one could know if a movie was bad or good. Currently I use a secular site which will inform you of what is in a movie. I can then research a video, before I check it out. Now I no longer watch movies with foul language, basically. In the past, though, I would have and STILL would rather be listening to foul words, than what they call, "mild crude humor." I am saying that I would rather hear a few curse/swear words than the sickening, raunchy, foul junk they pass of as being supposedly mild crude humor. This is often in children's movies and cartoons. I started to watch a cartoon last night that seemed good and then it started and kept it up so I quit watching it.

• Members

There are some "Christian" movies that have a higher rating than even PG-13 due to the violence in them.

I have reviewed quite a few Christian based movies on this board. Did not think to put ratings though. The majority of the movies are good.

Edited by Standing Firm In Christ

• Members

There are some "Christian" movies that have a higher rating than even PG-13 due to the violence in them.

I have reviewed quite a few Christian based movies on this board. Did not think to put ratings though. The majority of the movies are good.

Are you referring to actual Christian movies rated R or just movies called Christian? The only one I can think of is Mel Gibson's "The Passion" which was rated R for the violence, but I would call that a Catholic movie, not Christian.

• Members

While the majority of the world considers "The Passion of the Christ" to be a "Christian" movie, I consider it to be far less than Christian... religious at best.

There are other movies that are considered to be Christian that, because of their content, are rated with a higher rating (I saw one not too long back rated NC-17, but can't for the life of me remember the title)

One scheduled for release later this year is Suing the Devil. From what I hear of it, it should be higher than PG-13.