• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Shooting The Wounded And Other Silly Arguments

• Members
The 2 Jacks
The following is excerpted from the new book The Two Jacks: Hyles and Schaap, which is available in print for purchase or as a free eBook from the Way of Life web site -- www.wayoflife.org.

The following are three of the most common arguments that are used against those who publicly reprove the compromise and error of influential Baptist leaders.

Shooting the Wounded

Through the years, I have frequently heard the accusation that preachers who give warnings about Christian leaders are guilty of “shooting their own wounded.”

For example, I received the following e-mail that charged me with doing this in regard to an open exhortation I published about Clarence Sexton’s Friendship Conferences.

“I am deeply upset at the private letter you posted on your website to Dr Sexton. Thanks for shooting your own and not calling Pastor Sexton personally to get all of the facts.”

The fact is that I had sent that letter to Dr. Sexton via his own website months before I published it, and I received no reply. I found out later that he says that he doesn’t use e-mail, and that is fine, but he could have dictated a reply to one of his many co-workers or secretaries.

Another example of the accusation of “shooting the wounded” is contained in the following e-mail that I received a few years ago:

“I grew up in Murfreesboro, TN and was and am still associated with the Sword of the Lord and the Bill Rice Ranch. I hated it then and still do when a Christian brother bashes another Christian brother over things instead of preaching and trying to win souls to Christ. It is said that the Christian Army is the only army that stabs its wounded and kills off its own. I have to say it is very true. I am also a Marine, and we were taught to pick up those who are wounded and even dead, not leave them to die or to be mutilated by the enemy. We as Christians do just the opposite many times.”

What does “shooting their own wounded” mean?

View the full article

• Members

I grew up in Murfreesboro, TN and was and am still associated with the Sword of the Lord and the Bill Rice Ranch. I hated it then and still do when a Christian brother bashes another Christian brother over things instead of preaching and trying to win souls to Christ”>>

This man seems only to want the salvation message proclaimed. He doesn't seem want no one reproved, corrected, nor instructed in righteousness. And he knows not the difference in correction, reproof, & instructed in righteousness & bashing someone.

• Members

This man seems only to want the salvation message proclaimed. He doesn't seem want no one reproved, corrected, nor instructed in righteousness. And he knows not the difference in correction, reproof, & instructed in righteousness & bashing someone.

That's right Jerry and there are many like that today. They take the position that if some pastor or church they like is at least doing something right then no one should mention or point out where they may be in serious error.

Scripture tells us we are not to stop at baby milk when it comes to partaking of the Word and growing in the Lord. We are to continually be walking down the path of righteousness (not standing still someone along the path), pursuing holiness, becoming ever more rooted and grounded in the Word, submitting to Christ in all things, obeying the Lord in all things.

The idea that if some preacher proclaims the Gospel, has helped win some to Christ or calls on other to do so that it doesn't matter how far off they are in other areas they should be put upon a pedestal and no one should dare to obey and use the Word as exhorted in 2 Timothy 3:16. That is totally unbiblical!

If Christians were to really follow the above idea then the Apostle Paul would have been terribly wrong to have confronted the Apostle Peter regarding his error.

If the one biblically confronted with error is truly seeking to follow Christ he will, as did Peter, accept the biblical correction and grow in the Lord from it. Sad to say, most today take allow their pride to rise up and become defensive, often to find themselves fighting against the clear Word of God.