• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Sankey Or Gandhi

• Members

Sankey or Gandhi

(Two Views of Life, Two Very Different Ends)

Ira D. Sankey lived in Brooklyn the last few years of his life and, after years of blindness, died there is 1908. When a cousin visited him in Brooklyn in May 1907, out of his blindness and frailty, Sankey dictated a farewell message to his friends.

“I believe in Him who said, “Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life’ John 4:47.
I believe in the Son of God and with all my soul, might, mind, and strength and am, therefore, saved by the Word of One who cannot lie. I have only a little longer weary tossing on the billows’ foam, only a little longer of earthly darkness, and them the sunshine of the Father’s throne. So sure am I of meeting in Heaven those of my friends who are following the Lamb that I send them this finally message that God is love. Good night; good night.”

The contrasting view is the one held by the famous Indian, Gandhi. Some so-called Christian leaders have tried to represent Gandhi as a Christian because of his pacifism and personal standards of morality. But those who designate Gandhi as a Christian need to remember his own words:

“I must tell you in all humility that Hinduism, as I know it, entirely satisfies my soul, fills my whole being, and I find solace in the Bhagavad and Upanishads.”

Here is the special quotation we wish to mention. Shortly before his death, according to the press, Gandhi said:

“My days are numbered, I am not likely to live very long- perhaps a year or more. For the first time in fifty years, I find myself in the slough of despond. All about me is darkness; I am praying for light.”

Sankey’s eyes were blind, but the light of the presence of Christ was flooding his soul. Gandhi had his eyes; but, alas, rejecting Christ, he had left his soul in darkness.

Copied from 'The Sword of the Lord.' April 13, 2012 page 5

• Members

Sankey or Gandhi

(Two Views of Life, Two Very Different Ends)

Ira D. Sankey lived in Brooklyn the last few years of his life and, after years of blindness, died there is 1908. When a cousin visited him in Brooklyn in May 1907, out of his blindness and frailty, Sankey dictated a farewell message to his friends.

“I believe in Him who said, “Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life’ John 4:47.
I believe in the Son of God and with all my soul, might, mind, and strength and am, therefore, saved by the Word of One who cannot lie. I have only a little longer weary tossing on the billows’ foam, only a little longer of earthly darkness, and them the sunshine of the Father’s throne. So sure am I of meeting in Heaven those of my friends who are following the Lamb that I send them this finally message that God is love. Good night; good night.”

The contrasting view is the one held by the famous Indian, Gandhi. Some so-called Christian leaders have tried to represent Gandhi as a Christian because of his pacifism and personal standards of morality. But those who designate Gandhi as a Christian need to remember his own words:

“I must tell you in all humility that Hinduism, as I know it, entirely satisfies my soul, fills my whole being, and I find solace in the Bhagavad and Upanishads.”

Here is the special quotation we wish to mention. Shortly before his death, according to the press, Gandhi said:

“My days are numbered, I am not likely to live very long- perhaps a year or more. For the first time in fifty years, I find myself in the slough of despond. All about me is darkness; I am praying for light.”

Sankey’s eyes were blind, but the light of the presence of Christ was flooding his soul. Gandhi had his eyes; but, alas, rejecting Christ, he had left his soul in darkness.

Copied from 'The Sword of the Lord.' April 13, 2012 page 5

2 Timothy 3:5Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.

When I encounter or hear of people like you mentoned here, that verse comes to mind.
I recall some wealthy clients I once did business with who were the sweetest, nicest couple you would ever hope to meet. My Wife and I even mentioned that they must be Christians. When the job was completed and they came to pay me, the lady gave me their business card and I must say I was surprised when I saw it...they owned a chain of LIQUOR stores. I just don't see how a Christian could do that with a clear conscience and get by without God chastising them. But you meet nice people, good people, people who give, some who don't steal, some are faithful to their wives, some work hard, some are honest etc But they have never known Jesus. All they have is a form of godliness, but they deny the power thereof.

And I would add: a time or two, I have had some of the most seemingly amiable. personable people like that turn on me, and do some of the things mentioned in the verses previous to that one.......when the pressure is on, it is revealed how they really are.

1This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come. 2For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, 3Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good, 4Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God; Edited by heartstrings

• Members

It's very common today for Christian "leaders" to hold up non-Christians as if they are Christians or as if they must be in heaven because of ______ (some Christian aspect other than being born again in Christ).

I've heard Ghandi lifted up, as well as Mother Teresa, Martin Luther King Jr., Glen Beck, Hannity, Limbaugh, Pope John Paul II, Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston, Elvis and so many others. All of these are declared to be Christian for reasons other than being born again in Christ.

• Members

It's very common today for Christian "leaders" to hold up non-Christians as if they are Christians or as if they must be in heaven because of ______ (some Christian aspect other than being born again in Christ).

I've heard Ghandi lifted up, as well as Mother Teresa, Martin Luther King Jr., Glen Beck, Hannity, Limbaugh, Pope John Paul II, Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston, Elvis and so many others. All of these are declared to be Christian for reasons other than being born again in Christ.

You mean all those "artists" who invoke the name of Christ or Jesus into their worldly music aren't Christians? (tongue-in-cheek)

• Members

You mean all those "artists" who invoke the name of Christ or Jesus into their worldly music aren't Christians? (tongue-in-cheek)

Sadly, there are many "worldly christians" out there and many who believe if they believe there is a God, or if they "pray" sometimes, or even some who think saying "Jesus" makes them a good Christian.

Those worldly christian artists can be especially dangerous because they have such a larger statge to spread this idea.

How sad to think of the millions who will be cast into hell after going through this life thinking they had "done enough" so were okay with God, only to hear Christ inform them He never knew them.