• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

"jehovah's Witnesses" Aren't Jehovah's Witnesses. We Are!

Guest Joshua Berndt

Guest Joshua Berndt

I hate that the "Jehovah's Witnesses" are called that. They are not Jehovah's witnesses. The saved are! Some call them, "Jehovah's False Witnesses." I don't think that is right either. He has no false witnesses. I call them, "False Jehovah's Witnesses."

In any case of semantics they are a cult. The defining question to them is, "What do you believe about Jesus Christ?" Any answer short of, "I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God." I would listen closely for "the Son" not "a Son."

Upon that profession further examination...
1 John 5:20 And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life.

Philippians 2:9 Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name:
Philippians 2:10 That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;
Philippians 2:11 And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

Another question to ask is how they believe they will get to heaven. Here, anything short of Eph. 2:8-9 and Rev. 1:5-6 and they are doomed in their religion.

If they agree then ask them if they have received Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord of their life. Knowing their salvation is secure.
John 20:31 and 1 John 5:13

Edited by 1Tim115

• Members

I had the same reaction to the name of this cult when I learned about them and Watchtower. Have been turning them away from our door for years, but hadn't really looked into what they represent, until maybe a year ago. Read a post in another forum where a woman said she couldn't go to heaven because the 144,000 had already been allocated. Both sadness for her and anger at Watchtower grew, as I took some time to study their beliefs. This woman had been well trained to counter any opposition, using scripture, to what she was attempting to teach in that forum through her "witness".

Here's a good link that I discovered during my study, others may find to be useful.
HOW TO DISCUSS THE DEITY OF JESUS CHRIST WITH JEHOVAH’S WITNESSES
http://4witness.org/jehovahs_witness/jw_discuss_jesus_god.php

Guest Joshua Berndt

If they agree then ask them if they have received Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord of their life. Knowing their salvation is secure.
John 20:31 and 1 John 5:13

I was saved when about 3 1/2. I did not knowingly make God the Lord of my life. That comes with growth AFTER a person is saved. I do not mention Lordship to a person I am witnessing to.

Guest Joshua Berndt

Both sadness for her and anger at Watchtower grew, as I took some time to study their beliefs.

I have learned a little about their book which they call a bible. I am told that they used rules of English to translate Greek text. It is considered the worst translation of the Bible. Recently I witnessed to a new FJW and she was like a brick wall. She was so ignorant of truth and of her own new group. Sad.

I was saved when about 3 1/2. I did not knowingly make God the Lord of my life. That comes with growth AFTER a person is saved. I do not mention Lordship to a person I am witnessing to.

We are still talking about refuting a false religion, Right?

Some J.W.s like to make it sound like they are Christians. That's why I would go through a process very similar to the one I described above. It also applies to Mormons. I would never put the question of Lordship first; a close examination of someone's ideas of Christ and salvation usually will reveal if they are a Christian or a cultist.

Guest Joshua Berndt

O.K. I am sorry. I thought you were making that a condition of salvation, which I hear a lot and hate. So I am glad that we agree with scripture that it is a proof of growth. I think I was 16 before I knowingly turned my life over to Him. I had been saved many years but grew a lot when I was 16. :godisgood:

Guest Joshua Berndt

We are still talking about refuting a false religion, Right?

Yes. Sorry. I forgot to answer this in the last post.

• Members

I had the same reaction to the name of this cult when I learned about them and Watchtower. Have been turning them away from our door for years, but hadn't really looked into what they represent, until maybe a year ago. Read a post in another forum where a woman said she couldn't go to heaven because the 144,000 had already been allocated. Both sadness for her and anger at Watchtower grew, as I took some time to study their beliefs. This woman had been well trained to counter any opposition, using scripture, to what she was attempting to teach in that forum through her "witness".

Here's a good link that I discovered during my study, others may find to be useful.
HOW TO DISCUSS THE DEITY OF JESUS CHRIST WITH JEHOVAH’S WITNESSES
http://4witness.org/...s_jesus_god.php

Is turning them away the correct aproach?

How can you tell them about the Lord jesus if you do that?

I always invite them in to try to teach them the truth from the word of God, Also, they have a limited time to knock on doors, so all the time you can keep them talking, you are keeping them from trying to convert others.

O.K. I am sorry. I thought you were making that a condition of salvation, which I hear a lot and hate. So I am glad that we agree with scripture that it is a proof of growth. I think I was 16 before I knowingly turned my life over to Him. I had been saved many years but grew a lot when I was 16. :godisgood:

I didn't take any offense, I just thought you might want clarification...praise God!

I always invite them in to try to teach them the truth from the word of God, Also, they have a limited time to knock on doors, so all the time you can keep them talking, you are keeping them from trying to convert others.

I would gladly talk to them. They usually want to go somewhere besides Jesus Christ. They don't come around here anymore so, the opportunity is slim to none to witness to them. I never run across them when door knocking?

Guest Joshua Berndt

Doesn't the Bible specifically forbid inviting these types into our homes? I am sure of it; I just can't remember the verse.

Guest Joshua Berndt

2 John 1:10-11

If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into [your] house, neither bid him God speed:
For he that biddeth him God speed is partaker of his evil deeds.

• Members

Yes, turning them away from my home is the right approach, as noted in the scriptures posted.

Attempt to witness to them, yes.

From experience (they are active in our area and come by our house every few months) most are well trained to counter anything that is contrary to their beliefs. Ready to argue with scripture and are happy to flout (for lack of a better word) their understanding with someone who can't counter verse by verse.

Argue with them, no. Debate the scriptures, no. While the words will vary, I tell them simply that I'm saved through the sacrifice of Jesus Christ on the cross. Usually, at that point, they want to tell me where and how I'm wrong in my belief. That's the point, I politely ask them to leave and no I don't want their literature.