• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Disgusting Maranatha Video

• Members

Some will use anything they can to catch them. If you catch them with something besides Jesus, you've probably have a very poor catch.

That's what happens with those churches who put on rock concerts and excessive skits. The people come for the entertainment. Since the entertainment is what they are seeking (these "seekers" are not actually seeking Christ, contrary to what the church marketers declare) they will only stay as long as they are entertained. This leads to the church becoming little more than an entertainment center. Typically only a very small amount of preaching is done and it's of a watered down, non-offensive sort; which means they don't talk about sin, hell or the true Gospel. The sermons are more like 10 minute motivational speaches, quickly followed by more entertainment of the sort that played for half an hour before the "sermon".

• Administrators

I think the idea behind it is gross. Ick. Just thinking about that actually happening makes me queasy. But I have to say I can see how it would tickle young men...I don't know if that's a video being used to recruit students or not. I don't think it would help in recruiting, so I doubt it.

I know some boys from our college made a video about 10 years back. It was kinda dumb. But I'm sure they enjoyed it. I don't know why the person who posted it on vimeo titled it what they did, because it isn't that. But here it is: http://vimeo.com/25416869

• Members

That's what happens with those churches who put on rock concerts and excessive skits. The people come for the entertainment. Since the entertainment is what they are seeking (these "seekers" are not actually seeking Christ, contrary to what the church marketers declare) they will only stay as long as they are entertained. This leads to the church becoming little more than an entertainment center. Typically only a very small amount of preaching is done and it's of a watered down, non-offensive sort; which means they don't talk about sin, hell or the true Gospel. The sermons are more like 10 minute motivational speaches, quickly followed by more entertainment of the sort that played for half an hour before the "sermon".

In my young days our church did not have entertainment to catch people, & the church I’m part of still operates on the same principle. We used the Word to catch people.

Today’s entertaining churches probably do more harm than good. They give the young person just enough to make them feel saved, but yet not be saved, & for these children going to church is all about worldly entertainment & living for the world.

Mt 7:16 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?
Mt 7:20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.

You can tell a lot about people by the entertainment they enjoy. The company they keep. By the jokes they laugh at & or the jokes they tell.

Matthew 7:16,20 above, is still as true today as it was when Jesus said those words.