• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Were They All Self-Righteous Pharisees?

• Members

Possibly one way to do this is to plant seeds and let the Holy Spirit water them. In this instance, maybe a less confrontational approach would be to wait until another time. (Not while she's playing the video and especially, not in front of her child.) Casually mention that you're seeing the trend of more "magic" being included in children's materials. You're concerned about it and wonder if she's given any thought to the subject. If she doesn't want to talk, that's OK. You've planted the seed.

That's some good advice. I also need to stop being so shocked at things I see. I mean, it is Hollywood, of course it most likely won't line up with Biblical teaching. How dumb can I be. I'm thinking Barbie is that doll that falls in love with Ken and runs off and gets married and here it is a video with magical little fairies and I find this shocking and have to blurt something out about it. that was my own stupidity. Luckily wasn't in front of the kids, they were in the next room glued to the TV.

Sometimes, though, it don't even have to be a battle. My sister likes the "Left Behind" series. I heard an interesting study on the book of Revelation by Bryan Sharp and thought my sister would find it interesting. I purchased the 20 cd set and loaned it to her. She listened to 3 cd's and said she couldn't listen to anymore because Bryan Sharp hates women. Yes, I found this shocking, but I didn't blurt anything out this time. I just politely asked for my cd's back. :)

• Members

I just lack confidence in using this verse. My nephew has a tattoo of a cross on his forearm. If I use this verse, he can tell me that it isn't for the dead. Don't cut your flesh for the dead or print marks on your body for the dead. Does the marks go back to the dead or does it stand alone meaning marks for any reason? And that is why I go for the reason to get a tattoo. Why would you want a tattoo? Trouble is, alot of the same answers for the tattoo are the same answers given to me for the reason women wear make-up.
To look pretty or to look cool. Ok, who is the person wanting to look pretty or cool for? For God? For their spouse? If we look pretty for our spouse, will someone else also find us pretty? Should we only look pretty at home for our spouse? If we are the ones drawing attention to ourselves by altering the way we would normally look, is this godly?
To make me feel better about myself. Ok, I would put this answer towards low self-esteem. This is a toughy because semetimes we can't help having a low self-esteem at times, but does that mean it is ok for a Christian to feel this way?
To fit in. Young girls wear make-up because their peers are and they don't want to stand out. People get tattoos because their peers are getting them. What group are we trying to fit into, God or the world?

And this is how I tied tattoos with make-up. If I use the verse alone, I don't know how to deal with "the dead" part. If I tell someone that "marks" stand alone, then that person can tell me that is my interpretation and I need to study grammar. If I go for the reason we get tattoos, it opens up more than just make-up such as cologne on a man or woman. And all this makes me feel like I am one confused individual! LOL

Lots of professing believers lack confidence in many verses in the Bible, them therefore, do as they please. That way they can think they have a clear conscience.

• Members

paganism=magic. What is up with all this magic anymore? I go visist sister in KY an she puts on Barbie movie for her young daughter and my kids. It is filled with magic. I can sheepishly and quietly ask, "do you think they should be watching a show with all this magic stuff in it?" I then can get the loud answer, "IT'S JUST AN INNOCENT KIDS VIDEO, DO YOU HAVE TO BE SO UPTIGHT YOU SELF-RIGHTEOUS PHARISEE!!??" I guess I just don't see the innocence in a young, innocent child watching a video with so much garbage in it. Oh, and the innocent movie has an innocent rating of "G".

Its not innocent, it teaches children magic, witchcraft, & such are A OK. And you do not play with things that can lead to sin against God.

That said, many will claim its innocent, yet probably they know little about God's Word.

• Members

Its not innocent, it teaches children magic, witchcraft, & such are A OK. And you do not play with things that can lead to sin against God.

That said, many will claim its innocent, yet probably they know little about God's Word.

Most think that such is harmless but then wonder why their children get into witchcraft, "wicca", or various pagan religions when they get older. So many children's movies and programs, as well as regular movies and TV, promote "earth based religions", magic and various forms of spells and witchcraft.

A few years ago in the next county over a group of witches and pagans gathered for a summer solstice festival out in the woods. They cast spells, conducted rituals, did pagan dances and it seems many invovled themselves in "religious sex". These people didn't suddenly become depraved overnight, a foundation was laid early in most, if not all of their lives.