• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Are You A Connoisseur?

"Connoisseur" just means "picky" basically, right? hahaha.

Okay I'm "picky" about spelling and grammar. And I'm "picky" about food and, of course, cake decorating, and somewhat of a perfectionist in all of the above three areas. I enjoy reading and writing and doing stuff "in the background" like baking and things that don't deal very much with the public. (And why God saw fit to make me a pastor's wife, He'll just have to inform me in Heaven someday because I can't possibly figure it out. haha.)

Maybe God can use me somehow in my expanding cake business...I hope. Its been a blessing to be able to earn extra income for the family.

Can you spot your own cakes? Do you know others who's cakes you would recognize...like the competition?

• Members

I have discerning tastebuds....any food or drink of high quality, I can recognize and love. I'd rather spend a bit more and eat less if the quality is outstanding....be it coffee, fine cheeses, organic milk, free range eggs, wine, beer, good olive oils, a fine meal at a fine dining establishment, etc. One of the true joys in life. :)

I also have a discerning taste in music. I love live music be it jazz, bluegrass, an amazing jam band, a great symphony, a Broadway show, etc. Another true joy in life.

God has given some people amazing abilities to make fine food and drink, or to make incredible music. It is great to be able to appreciate it from time to time.

Edited by kindofblue1977

I have discerning tastebuds....any food or drink of high quality, I can recognize and love. I'd rather spend a bit more and eat less if the quality is outstanding....be it coffee, fine cheeses, organic milk, free range eggs, wine, beer, good olive oils, a fine meal at a fine dining establishment, etc. One of the true joys in life. :)

I also have a discerning taste in music. I love live music be it jazz, bluegrass, an amazing jam band, a great symphony, a Broadway show, etc. Another true joy in life.

God has given some people amazing abilities to make fine food and drink, or to make incredible music. It is great to be able to appreciate it from time to time.

If you were blind folded could you tell the difference between wine and beer producers?

• Members

You did say you have sheep, right? So you're a shepherd too! Can you spot your own sheep from others?
Easily, I know all 40 of them by name and can tell you which babies go with which mama. I could choose all my sheep out from a much larger crowd, but then most of mine are not woolies; they are Barbado sheep. I might be able to do the same with a flock of woolies because no two sheep really look the same. It's not anything special. According to some studies, sheep can recognize each other and humans from sight alone.

I have one sheep named "Lilly Mae" who orients herself behind me every time I approach the feed trough, then dives between my legs when I pour it in, So there I am standing at the feed trough astraddle of a sheep. I don't know why she does it, but I've learned to brace myself because she is pretty wide. She was very skittish when I bought her, and wouldn't let me touch her. Not anymore. :) I really enjoy interacting with my sheep. Edited by heartstrings

• Members

If you had one meal of my Wife's cooking you'd junk it all and want to eat at my house from then on. :)

• Members

If you were blind folded could you tell the difference between wine and beer producers?

I could tell you which type it was, the types of grapes that were used, etc. Coffee the same way...I can tell you what region it is from...whether grown in Guatamalla, Columbria, Ethiopia, Sumatra, etc.

• Moderators

The question arose concerning recognizing your own work (cakes, etc) or stock.
I know my own cattle.
Some may have difficulty picturing this, but if a junction box was opened up and I examined the way the wires are organized and formed and the way the joints (the way the wires are twisted together and trimmed)are made -- I can identify my own, my men's work, and usually which one of my workers did it.

So, it seems people are able to recognize their own work or the work of others who they have observed through the senses, i.e. smell, taste, feel, or appearance.

It appears folks do recognize similarity that is peculiar to a particular artisan, artist, or animal. :) A detail which sets them apart from any other but, one which you are able to recognize.

I would say that makes you folks connoisseurs!

I am not promoting the artist below...for example only...

Fernando Botero

Neo-Figurative Columbian artist Fernando Botero is best known for his paintings and sculptures that focus on situational portraiture. He is recognized for his robust, exaggerated human subjects that were often inspired by political and religious situations.

He began to experiment with volume in his paintings by creating subjects of exaggerated proportions. This would later define his art and be the recognizable trait that would render him world-known.

"define his art and be the recognizable trait"

If men can look at art and recognize an artist or artisan's handiwork then, they can look at God's creation and see the recognizable trait that renders Him world-known as the creator of all this beauty and wonder.

Romans 1:20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

All things created have a cycle and within that overall cycle smaller cycles of the same repitition. This is continuing evidence that the Genesis 1 account of God creating all things is fact. The repetition of this cycle is that trait which for some is only dull whispers, but an ear bursting SHOUT to those who walk by faith; “In the beginning God created...”

Hebrews 11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

It therefore falls to those of faith, to help the dull of hearing, become connoisseurs of grace.