• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Shame For A Woman To Speak In Church.

• Members

1Ti 2:1 ¶ I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men;
1Ti 2:2 For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty.
1Ti 2:3 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour;
1Ti 2:4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.
1Ti 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;
1Ti 2:6 Who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time.
1Ti 2:7 Whereunto I am ordained a preacher, and an apostle, (I speak the truth in Christ, and lie not;) a teacher of the Gentiles in faith and verity.
1Ti 2:8 I will therefore that men pray every where, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doubting.
1Ti 2:9 ¶ In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array;
1Ti 2:10 But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works.
1Ti 2:11 Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection.
1Ti 2:12 But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.
1Ti 2:13 For Adam was first formed, then Eve.
1Ti 2:14 And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression.
1Ti 2:15 Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing, if they continue in faith and charity and holiness with sobriety.

In the context of, "Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection," how can it pertain to only speaking in tongues? That is impossible.

True, I should have looked it up. I knew the whole context wasn't, but I was thinking of another passage that did include tongues.

Yes, women are supposed to keep silence in church. I personally think it probably includes public testimonies in front of men, but obviously in our day, nobody really thinks that so it doesn't matter.... I personally am not comfortable speaking in church unless its to ask for a prayer request, or sing a song.

True, I should have looked it up. I knew the whole context wasn't, but I was thinking of another passage that did include tongues.

Yes, women are supposed to keep silence in church. I personally think it probably includes public testimonies in front of men, but obviously in our day, nobody really thinks that so it doesn't matter.... I personally am not comfortable speaking in church unless its to ask for a prayer request, or sing a song.

Jesus allowed women to publicly request things of him and He is in charge.

Mark 7:25-30

Luke 8:47 And when the woman saw that she was not hid, she came trembling, and falling down before him, she declared unto him before all the people for what cause she had touched him, and how she was healed immediately.

They weren't allowed to teach or preach but to make prayer requests or testimonies/witnesses concerning the Lord. I have no problem with it.

• Members

Luke 8:47 And when the woman saw that she was not hid, she came trembling, and falling down before him, she declared unto him before all the people for what cause she had touched him, and how she was healed immediately.

They weren't allowed to teach or preach but to make prayer requests or testimonies/witnesses concerning the Lord. I have no problem with it.

The difference being, this was a public place, not in a church.

• Members

When did we place churches off limits to the public?

That's not what he meant, and you know it.

The standard of behavior is higher in church than it is everywhere else. Read I Tim 3.... your screen name says you're close. haha ;-)

• Members

He did, but was that in the setting of a New Testament Church? I think not, so we can not go by that, & we have to abide by 1 Ti. 2:11.

When growing up in a Baptist church out in the country side of Arkansas I remember women giving testimonies during services, but never praying. In business meeting, I don't remember them talking, but I remember them voting.

In their Sunday school class which met in the sanctuary it was both men & women, I never observed them, so I don't know what went on there.

Women taught the young boys, but when we became juniors it changed to men teachers & the girls kept women teachers. I recall some of my women teachers when I was young leading us in prayer.

• Members

Look at the grammar. "I will greatly multiply thy sorrow.... AND....they conception.

That's two punishments IMHO..... He will multiply the woman's sorrow. (He did that to the man, too). He also multiplied her conception. With eternal life, my guess is that God would have made it to where she maybe had a baby every decade...every century....if life would have been eternal, then if women had babies every two years, the earth would be overpopulated if nobody ever died. When they sinned, now they only had a short time to populate the earth. God had to multiply the conception to be sure reproduction would happen, and happen quickly enough to populate the earth. Then after that, he applied the sorrow to the bringing forth of children, which could mean the pain, but could also just mean the difficulty in raising children as well, or c, all of the above. And yes being saved in childbearing to me means she will have a better time, but I am not sure how much that applies as obviously Christian women still died in childbirth...and similarly, there are very obedient children who grow up to die an early death (thus obedient kids don't always have a long life). Obviously God's promises are within His will, of course.

I pretty much agree but you know, if life would have been eternal and if women only had one baby every thousand years the earth would have eventually been "overpopulated" just as surely as if a baby was born every two years. Doesn't really make a difference either way. That is the thing about eternity. :wink Also you figure in the fact that the men(and presumably the women as well) were living to 7,8 or 9 hundred years of age prior to the flood, so even if they did only end up having one kid every ten years or so they could still easily end up having 50+ kids in their lifetime.
Talk about greatly multiplying eves sorrow and conception. 50+ kids... :reaction: :bleh:

That's not what he meant, and you know it.

The standard of behavior is higher in church than it is everywhere else. Read I Tim 3.... your screen name says you're close. haha ;-)

The answer was ambiguous, I don't know what he meant. I've read 1 Tim 3 many times. The standard was set by the Savior, He allowed women to approach him to make requests. Now, let me be clear, women giving testimony or witness in the church when it is requested is not out of order.

Jerry, I've said nothing in favor of women teaching, preaching, or praying for the church. I'll add that in purely women only classes and meetings the older women and/or leaders will pray and teach...no preaching.

When the discussion leaned to witness or testimony before the church I said I'm for that. As far as New Testament church, it doesn't get any newer or more correct than when Jesus Christ is the author. Jesus is the New Testament Church.

• Members

The answer was ambiguous, I don't know what he meant. I've read 1 Tim 3 many times. The standard was set by the Savior, He allowed women to approach him to make requests. Now, let me be clear, women giving testimony or witness in the church when it is requested is not out of order.

Jerry, I've said nothing in favor of women teaching, preaching, or praying for the church. I'll add that in purely women only classes and meetings the older women and/or leaders will pray and teach...no preaching.

When the discussion leaned to witness or testimony before the church I said I'm for that. As far as New Testament church, it doesn't get any newer or more correct than when Jesus Christ is the author. Jesus is the New Testament Church.

I guess I don't really believe that Jesus Christ was the first pastor of the first church...He is our King, and the head of the church...the pastor is the servant..... that is why women could approach him.

I guess I don't really believe that Jesus Christ was the first pastor of the first church...He is our King, and the head of the church...the pastor is the servant..... that is why women could approach him.

Into the form of a servant, for me, it is unfathomable. Washed in His blood, clothed in His righteousness, washed clean from head to foot. A servant for me? Yes, very God, and my Lord.

• Members

I don't know that women approached Christ in public during a "church service".

I'm just saying there are rules for church. I didn't make them...God did. And one of them is that women are to keep silence in front of the men in church. *shrug*

Yes, it could revolve around that point "church service."

So, I will jump at this opportunity to apologize to my brother John. I see what you were meaning...I can be thick as a brick some times or one brick shy of a load at others.

Yes, there are rules for conducting a worship service in our New Testament churches. We are to obey them and although I've seen it done (witness, testify); It is wrong for a woman to speak in the congregation assembled for the worship of God...collectively.

Edited by 1Tim115

• Members

At my church on wed night is Bible study and we do it in the sanctuary, small church no other room but downstairs. Anyway, we use study guides with questions and the pastor goes thru it and if I want to answer the question or ask a question I raise my hand and he calls my name to respond. Is this permissible since he says my name expecting a response?