• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

They Which Preach the Gospel...

• Members

1 Corinthians 9:14 Even so hath the Lord ordained that they which preach the gospel should live of the gospel.

What did the Apostle Paul mean when he wrote "they which preach the Gospel should live of the Gospel"?

Paul clearly was referencing himself, for in the surrounding verse 16 we see:

1 Corinthians 9:16 For though I preach the gospel, I have nothing to glory of: for necessity is laid upon me; yea, woe is unto me, if I preach not the gospel!

Paul was establishing his rights as an Apostle. He was not speaking of the local Bishop/Elder/Overseer of the Church who was in a static position. The Bishop/Elder/Overseer was to work with his hands, so as to support those who were unable to work.

Acts 20:33-35 I have coveted no man's silver, or gold, or apparel. Yea, ye yourselves know, that these hands have ministered unto my necessities, and to them that were with me. I have shewed you all things, how that so labouring ye ought to support the weak, and to remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he said, It is more blessed to give than to receive.

Paul was not speaking to the Church when he said "it is more blessed to give than to receive", he was speaking to the Church elders.

But don't the Bishop/Elder/Overseer preach the Gospel and therefore are included in 1 Corinthians 9:14? Let's see, shall we?

Was Paul a Church Elder? From the description of the Elders, they ministered in the Church and stayed in the Church. They fed the flock of God. (Acts 20; 1 Peter 5)

Over and over throughout the New Testament, we see those who preached the Gospel travelling to do so. Jesus preached the Gospel as He travelled (Matthew 4, 9, 11) He told the Apostles to "Go ye into all the world and preach the Gospel" (Mark 16:15) In Romans 10, Paul asked the question, "How shall they preach, except they be sent?" Romans 15 reveals that Paul travelled great distances to preach the Gospel

Over and over in the New Testament we see the theme of travelling to preach the Gospel. In the context of these passages, it is easy to see that "preaching the Gospel" meant to leave one's home and to deliver the Word of Faith to others. Preaching the Gospel was associated with being a traveler. Those who preach the Gospel are sent... they go to other regions. The Church Elder is not told to "preach the Gospel" The Gospel is for unbelievers, those who have never heard the Good News that "Christ came to save sinners". (1 Timothy 1:15)

The Church Elder has a responsibility to feed the flock of God, teaching them the Scriptures so that they are equipped themselves. For some reason, Churches today have decided that they must lure the lost into their congregations so that they can "hear the Gospel preached and be saved" when the Word of God never set such a guideline. Those who preach the Gospel were sent to the lost, not the other way around. The Church is an assembly of believers, they don't need the Gospel, they already heard the Gospel and believed.

The Biblical model is that the Church Elders feed the flock, teaching them and equipping them so that they can be sent out to preach the Gospel.

1 Corinthians 9 does not endorse salaried pastors, it is speaking of those who are sent out to preach the Gospel, coming to the lost, revealing their need for the Savior.

• Members

"They that preach the Gospel should live of the Gospel" is clearly teaching that preaching the Gospel full time is also one's livlihood. PERIOD. The thread will be locked if this turns into another "salary" discussion.

HOWEVER....

As to the second point you made...I do agree that church is for the perfecting of the saints, while the church (NOT JUST THE PASTOR) is supposed to be equipped to do the work of the ministry and go out to reach the lost. The IDEAL situation is that each church member wins their own friends and family and neighbors to the gospel and disciples them, and they join the church and in turn they also win others. That is a far cry from what we have today....but I agree, the church is not meant to be an evangelistic tool.

I don't think its wrong if people get saved in church...better there than not at all...but churches that get the cart before the horse (i.e. constantly preaching evangelistically or focusing solely on Sunday outreach) fail to feed their flock properly.

• Members

They which preach the Gospel refers to traveling ministers, not stationary ones.

Whether you believe the pastor should receive a salary or not makes no mind to me. I go by what the Word of God says. And that is that the leaders of the Church are to work with their hands (I am sure that didn't mean turning pages either) to support themselves and the weak.

There is not a single verse in the Word of God that states the congregation is to support the pastor on a weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly basis.

But there is ample Scripture that the leaders are to work to support themselves.

How about instead of closing the thread producing Scripture that clearly shows the pastor is to receive a salary? Or is it that since there is no justification for it it is best to silence those who know the truth?

Edited by Standing Firm In Christ

• Members

I am truly beginning to wonder why we claim that the Bible is our final authority in all matters of faith and practice when it is quite obvious it is not?

When Biblical truths are put forth it raises the dander of those who clearly practice against it.

My Brethren, these things ought not so to be.

• Members

Your sure showing yourself to be a sore person, starting another topic on this issue.

You have already stated your whole defense on this issue, & as salyan indicated, you’ve beaten it to death, & now all your doing is repeating your just repeating yourself.

At one of Jesus’ New Testament church is a great & wonderful place for even lost people to hear that “Old Old Story,’ that Jesus’ brothers & sister never get tired of hearing.

The pastor of one of Jesus’ New Testament Churches that the Holy Spirit has put him over has the responsibility to feed the flock, & this flock, church, has the responsibility to send out missionaries.

Ac 20:28 Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.

• Members

Apparently you didn't read my whole post. Either that, or you saw only what you wanted to see.

I never said the local pastor could not preach the Gospel. I said it was not his responsibility. His responsibility is to feed the flock. The flock consists of those who have already heard the Gospel message and properly responded. That work has been completed.

Now it is the responsibility of the pastor of the Church to feed the flock of God, equipping it for ministry outside of the Sanctuary.

But it is clear that those who are responsible for preaching the Gospel are those traveling ministers of the Gospel... evangelists. Nowhere in the Word of God do you see the Apostles instructing a Church pastor to preach the Gospel. Preaching the Gospel is not their job.

• Members

While there are cases where a pastor can work and tend to his flock, there are also cases where a pastor puts into 60-80 or more hours each week tending to his flock and other matters of the church. That really leaves no time for another job and the church should provide for his needs.

• Moderators

We all agree that the Bible is our final authority. There is no need for pointed rhetorical questions! The point here is a difference of interpretation. This topic is not one of damnable heresy, nor is it (I think) a subject to separate over. It is, however, causing division and is becoming a point of strife. It was thoroughly argued out on the other thread; perhaps it is time to let it go.

• Members

Thoroughly argued out how? Because you say it was? By the OP making a statement and then closing the thread so there could be no rebuttal? That is not an example of thoroughly argued out.

I brought out more points in my OP that were not addressed it the other thread, so it is obvious that the subject was not thoroughly argued out.

• Members

Yes, I read your whole post, 3 or 4 times.

The pastors responsibly is to preach Jesus crucified, to preach the 'whole Gospel of Jesus Christ,' & nothing less. the reason I made that comment was because you stated it wrong in trying everything you can to prove the pastor is an unpaid position, when it isn't.

And yes, its damnable heresy to say the pastor is not responsible to preach the 'Whole Gospel of Jesus Christ,' & Him crucified.

Mt 15:9 But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.
Mr 7:7 Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

Joh 4:22 Ye worship ye know not what: we know what we worship: for salvation is of the Jews.
Joh 4:23 But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him.
Joh 4:24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

• Members

And still, no Scriptural proof that states that the pastor's responsibility is to preach the Gospel... only claims.

I challenge you to present one solitary Scripture that tells the leader of the Church, pastor/bishop/elder to preach the Gospel to the Church of God.

I've searched and searched and find no indication of such instructions.

So, instead of telling me that they have a responsibility to preach the Gospel, produce the Scripture.