• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

• Members

Hello all,

I have yet another question (I am fascinated discussing things like with with people)

I know people who are IFB KJB only. I respect that.
Some are part of a group on Fabcebook "I am a Independent Fundamentalist 1611 King James Only Baptist" -something like that.
When I mention the Apocrypha they get very defensive, saying its pagan and evil. But as I studied more on the subject I found that the 1611 King James had the Apocrapha. and it was not until 274 years after it was printed that it was removed.
So by saying you believe the 1611 Edition of the King James is the one true Bible... why do you reject the Apocrapha?

I would love to hear your thoughts about this, as I am confused about why people claim the Apocrapha is wrong yet it was in the very Bible we cherish.

Edited by teylacarter91

• Moderators

The Apocrypha was included in the KJV 1611, as it was accepted historical reading at the time (although the translators didn't consider it to be inspired.). That's why they put it between the testaments instead of interspersing it into the text. The reason I don't accept it is because I do not believe it to be inspired. It was first included by the Catholic church, and includes teachings that contradict the Bible, including the idea of purgatory.

I found this page to be helpful information: http://www.chick.com/reading/books/158/158_34.asp

For what it's worth, I believe the Textus Receptus to be the "one true Bible", and I consider the KJV to be the best English translation of that text. It's a subtle difference, but important. :)

• Members

As of late when viewing the websites of those practicing Popery, it's observed that the Apocrypha is referenced to quite a bit in their services and in discussions. Such a shame as it is not the inspired Word of God and has been and will continue to be used to send many to hell.

• Members

Then there's the Pseudepigrapha writings. There are a whole lot of non-canonical books which, if the Lord tarries I intend to read. I want to see if they provide historical insight to the periods when they were supposed to have been written. Beyond the historical interest...they are way down the list of things I hope to read.

• Members

The apocrypha was added as recommended, but unispired, reading between the two testaments of the KJV. The apocrypha was added within the text of the Vaticanus manuscript. Of course, this is the Catholic text that all the new versions of the bible are based on. There is a big difference between being added between the testaments as recommended reading and being added within the text as inspired scripture.

• Moderators

No. The OT/NT are the Bible - because they were given by inspiration of the Spirit. We use the KJV because it is translated from the preserved line of Biblical manuscripts - not the corrupted line - and because it is probably the best translation of its time, and not corrupted by any modern use of textual criticism or dynamic equivalency in the translation. The KJV is the Bible because it is the Bible - the inspired word of God. Its authority comes from its source, not its label. The Apocrypha was not inspired at its creation, and it won't magically become inspired because someone stuck it in the text and gave it the label KJV, NIV, or anything else.

2 Peter 1:19-21 "We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts: Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation. For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost."

Edited by salyan

• Members

The "Bible" of the KJB is the Old Testament and the New Testament. While some of the early printings of he KJB contained the Apocrypha, they were placed between the testaments as non-biblical supliments, mostly for the historical content.

The Apocrypha was never considered to be the Word of God or actual canon of Scripture within the printing of the KJB.

The Apocrypha was eventually dropped from virtually all non-Catholic Bibles in order to avoid confusion and because the helpfulness of having the Apocrypha within the Bible was found to be very limited and often questionable.

• Members

But it was in the 1611 Original King James.

We subscribe to a small hometown newspaper to keep up the the local happenings. What the county commissioners are up to now. Write ups of local events, deaths, high school sports, and other items considered to be "news" in our community. With each issue of the paper there's a pile of inserts that go straight to the recycling bin. Rarely do I ever read the advertisements for all the "stuff" being promoted for someones commercial interests in those inserts. The inserts are NOT "news" as we traditionally define the term.

The Apocrypha was an INSERT into the 1611 KJV between the Old & New Testements. To be read or ignored, just as today's advertising inserts in our local paper. The translators made it clear what the purpose was for including the Apocrypha in the 1611 printing. Just as we know today the purpose for including inserts in a newspaper. Editors of the KJV later dropped it because it wasn't scripture and only led to confusion as time moved forward. Later generations didn't have the Catholic church background of those who first read the 1611 edition.

Time hasn't moved on far enough for newspaper advertising inserts to be dropped. There's a commercial interest (agenda) to keep them in place in the "news". Just as there's an interest (agenda) to keep the Apocrypha being preceived as scripture. With the newspaper inserts somebody wants to sell me something. If the Apocrypha were to be inserted into the KJV again, somebody wants to "sell" me something.

I'm not buying.

All the "news" (scriptures) that I want to read is within the pages of the Old and New Testements of the KJB.

If I want to be led into temptation it's easy to find the Apocrypha on line. Just as it's easy to thumb through all those newspaper ad inserts that try to tempt me to part with my money. I don't need to know about somebody's latest, greatest, improved, whatever-they-are selling ads to trust the brands I put in my shopping cart.

Same thing applies when I pick up the KJB that I trust to give me the word of God.

• Members

I usede to have a KJV with Apocrypha. It was not a 1611 version, but the 1769. I don't know where I got from, I expect somebody gave it to me, or more likely just left it on my bookshelf. I don't know what happened to it, either.

Edited by Invicta