• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

What does the Baptist Church say about exorcism?

• Members

Hi, I first want to say this is just out of curiosity. I would like to know what the Baptist Church says about exorcisms, I have only ever seen them associated with the Catholic Church but of course we all know that Demons can attack anyone. I have Googled it but nothing comes up. I understand that its often very rare to see demonic possession but what happens when cases do come.

God Bless you.

• Members

Hi, I first want to say this is just out of curiosity. I would like to know what the Baptist Church says about exorcisms, I have only ever seen them associated with the Catholic Church but of course we all know that Demons can attack anyone. I have Googled it but nothing comes up. I understand that its often very rare to see demonic possession but what happens when cases do come.

God Bless you.

Rare is correct. Typically baptists, or at least IFB's, are not exactly going to be trying to "cast out" demons as if there is some method or ritual to go through. When and if it one is ever confronted with a demon possessed or at least very possibly demon possessed person the best response is usually a combination of prayer for the person & reading/quoting scripture. None of this "I command you to come out" demon of fill in the blank as Pentecostals or what not might do. Serious spiritual battles are not typically won through carnal or showy methods. It isn't Christians that "cast out" demons anyway, it is God who does that. If your ever forced to deal with that sort of situation it is best for you to talk to God and let his word do the talking when your speaking to the person/demon.

Practically speaking this is not a common thing to deal with anyway so it should be of minimal concern... Edited by Seth-Doty

• Members

Practically speaking this is not a common thing to deal with anyway so it should be of minimal concern...

Very true. If you are a new Christian your main focus should be upon learning the Word of God and putting it into practice in your life. The "sensational" things or wondering about what others do, or don't do, is not of much importance at this time.

Read the Word, learn how God would have you to live and what God would have you to do and then do so.

• Members

Thank you both. The odd thing is that after I posted this last night I went to sleep and the Lord came to me. It was a very active dream and he told me exactly what you both have said. I was told that it was wrong to strike the demon or command it to come out instead I should pray to him and ask God to cast out the demon.

At the moment I am amazed about my faith because as I said before I was an atheist for most of my life but now it is crystal clear that the Lord exists. I can feel the Holy Spirit every day working through me and when I pray the Lord answers, when I have a question, the Lord answers and when I am troubled the Lord guides me. This is such a magical feeling.

• Members

I read that those that are saved can become possessed although it often would never happen. What I read was that we can become possessed if we leave ourselves open or stray from the word of God i.e. return to our old ways of sin. It is clear that once baptised, our free will remains, that is not touched and it is up to us to stay on the correct path.

In discussion with people from my local Church we explored the idea of sin and where it came from. It is clear that Sin has always been there and portrayed itself first through lucifer, but when we are originally born we too are born with sin. That sin comes from Adam yet we did not ask for it. The Lord always gave us our free will again through Adam we see this. I personally see this as a test of our obedience and desire to follow the Lord's word.

Once baptised, as I have said we do not lose this and again this is a test can we stay true to our word? Can we stay on the path of the Lord? I think that those that do return to their old ways and begin sinning, showing disobedience to the word of the Lord can open themselves up to demonic possession.

Through sinning once more we are leaving part of us open and the Holy Spirit can not protect us. I agree this is very very rare, most who decide to undergo full emersion baptism have done so because they want to love God. It is this love and desire to follow his every word that we gain the protection of the Holy Spirit and Jesus Christ.

• Members

What does the Baptist Church say about exorcism?

There is no central authority, other than the Bible, with regards to Baptist churches. A Biblical New Testament Churche is a local, visible and indepent assembly of baptized believers with Jesus Christ as its head.

Would you share your salvation testimony with us?

• Members

You mean the message I received whilst sleeping? Sure.

The night before I went with my parents to see a new film called the devil inside and as always this focussed more on the Catholic Church. Once I got home I became intrigued about what other Churches or religious groups think/deal with the topic of exorcisms. I posted on here that evening, that is the first post you see above, but was going to wait until today to see my Minister during Sunday Service to ask him. I went to sleep as normal, although quite early that evening. Whilst sleeping I remember seeing a tall person with a bright white glow holding his arms to his side. I pretty much took this as our Lord Jesus Christ.

Then I remember the figure beginning to speak, it was a deep, bass-y voice that first said I have come to answer you. It was then explained that most people now have over exaggerated views or ways of dealing with demons. It was explained that when dealing with demonic possessions or demons in general you need to pray but truly believe in your prayers a lot stronger than you usually would and the Lord would answer and help.

I also remember asking why was it required to pray much stronger than you usually would and I was told that demons use the energy of fear but its their own fear, the fear in the Lord that rids them. Through praying at that level and asking for help the Lord will most certainly help but his strength is increased through our faith.

I know by now that a lot of people on these forums will dismiss this for whatever reason but I truly believe that it was the Lord that came to me and that what he told me was the truth. Although I hope never to be confronted with a demon I thank and praise the Lord for his guidance in helping me understand this.

(1) I also remember asking why was it required to pray much stronger than you usually would and (2) I was told that demons use the energy of fear but its their own fear, the fear in the Lord that rids them. Through praying at that level and asking for help the Lord will most certainly help but his strength is increased through our faith.

When you asked the question "(1)" above, the "tall person with a bright white glow holding his arms to his side" who you understood to be Jesus Christ provided you the answer (2) above? Do I have this right? Edited by 1Tim115

• Members

Wow, so you believe what your told in your dreams.

2Ti 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

Let me remind you of a truth, the Bible tells us that the Scriptures is for for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, not your dreams. If you go by dreams you will be like a ship that's running loose on the open ocean, tossed back & forth which ever way the waves happens to be going.

• Members

Yes that is correct 1Tim. Jerry is that sarcasm? God speaks to us all in different ways and yes I believe what I saw. I can feel the Holy Spirit in me on a daily basis and like to believe that when we sleep we are at peace. This was a perfect place to receive the message.

I do not know why but I am feeling that you are displaying a level of hatred towards me. Does God not want us to love one another. If you had received this message I would be praising the Lord that he reached out and spoke to you.

Yes that is correct 1Tim. Jerry is that sarcasm? God speaks to us all in different ways and yes I believe what I saw. I can feel the Holy Spirit in me on a daily basis and like to believe that when we sleep we are at peace. This was a perfect place to receive the message.

I do not know why but I am feeling that you are displaying a level of hatred towards me. Does God not want us to love one another. If you had received this message I would be praising the Lord that he reached out and spoke to you.

Hatred? No hatred is from me or from Jerry if that's your thought. I'm interested in helping you with some perceived error on your part. So let's begin at the question...

(1) I also remember asking why was it required to pray much stronger than you usually would and (2) I was told that demons use the energy of fear but its their own fear, the fear in the Lord that rids them. Through praying at that level and asking for help the Lord will most certainly help but his strength is increased through our faith.

When you asked the question "(1)" above, the "tall person with a bright white glow holding his arms to his side" who you understood to be Jesus Christ provided you the answer (2) above? Do I have this right?

I'm concerned that you are allowing your dreams to set a tone for your understanding of Biblical truths. I'm familiar with, Joel 2:28 and Acts 2:17. Dreams are for old men, like me; however, my dreams are usually about the word of God I'm studying at the time.

1 John 4:1 Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.

You may be asking what is the error? So, let's cut to the chase! The error is twofold, Jesus receives no power from men and God needs nothing from us for the work he performs. However, if we desire something of him we need to ask in prayer believing, that is faith. It's the faith God wants us to display in spirit and in truth.

Part 1 error, you said, "his strength is increased through our faith"...
Matthew 28:18 "And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth."

Part 2 error, you said, "Through praying at that level"...

Acts 17:25-28
25 Neither is worshipped with men's hands, as though he needed any thing, seeing he giveth to all life, and breath, and all things;
26 And hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth, and hath determined the times before appointed, and the bounds of their habitation;
27 That they should seek the Lord, if haply they might feel after him, and find him, though he be not far from every one of us:
28 For in him we live, and move, and have our being; as certain also of your own poets have said, For we are also his offspring.

On the first part Jesus Christ is very God and has all the power. On the second part, Paul goes to great lengths to present a true vision of the God of all creation. God is independent of anything we do and needs nothing from us.

Now, about the failure on the disciples part to cure the lunatik (possessed boy). The disciples were the ones needing to pray to God for the healing, Jesus needed nothing from them but, demonstrated it was an act of faith required of the disciples for the cure to take place. The boy's father believed (faith) Jesus could heal him.

As far as having strong or "much" prayer confirmed as the method; yes prayer and fasting BUT in faith that God answers our prayers. Read through the Gospels and see how many times Jesus asks someone if they believe HE is able to do something and what Jesus tells them if they do believe, that is;

Matthew 9:28 "And when he was come into the house, the blind men came to him: and Jesus saith unto them, Believe ye that I am able to do this? They said unto him, Yea, Lord."
Matthew 9:29 "Then touched he their eyes, saying, According to your faith be it unto you."

Matthew 9:30 "And their eyes were opened; and Jesus straitly charged them, saying, See that no man know it."

All of this is revealed already through the written word of God. It seems to me you have had some past experience, possibly as an atheist when you were witnessed to, and exposed to God's word. Isn't it possible, since your salvation, God is giving you some recall of truths from the past? Because here is a third truth from God's word...

Romans 10:17 "So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God."

...All men are saved through faith after hearing the word of God and then only by God's grace. I think you needed to just take this a little farther and concentrate on your ending words, "through our faith." Edited by 1Tim115