• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

• Members

My name is Ann and I am twenty years old. I grew up using the NIV and recently bought a King James.
My mother in law is a Independent Fundamentalist Baptist. I do not agree with her on many issues.
She says that the King James is the only true Bible, women must wear skirts and so on.

I am just trying to get a better understanding of why the King James is so important and so many consider it the only true Bible.
I do believe it is one of the best translations. But I do not agree that it is the only true Bible.

All I am here for is a better understanding.

I appreciate any and all help you folks could give me.

• Members

Welcome to OB!

I believe the original texts are the divinely inspired Word of God in its entirety, written by men as they were moved by the Holy Spirit, and that it is the sole authority for the Christian's faith and conduct. I believe the King James Version of the Bible is the preserved Word of God for teaching and preaching to English speaking people. This is what I will use when I quote scripture. I believe other English translations contain the Word of God including the latest Roman Church Bibles, Douay –Rheims and The New American Bible, Saint Joseph Edition. (2 Timothy 3.16-17; 2 Peter 1.20-21)

...the 1769 KJV fits me and I believe God is honored that I have it settled.

Besides the above...I cannot submit to memory the newer EVs. It's too much like casual conversation which, lends to discard or minimize a great percentage when someone is reading or speaking. We have to remember this is God speaking to us and answering questions we have; so, casual, discard, or minimalism are not options. The KJB makes me pause and think about the meaning also; in many cases I look up meaning. It causes me to meditate on God's Word and I know that pleases Him. (2 Timothy 3:15)

• Members

I do agree with you about the KJB making us think and meditate on His word. Thats why I love it so much.

But how are we supposed to say that the KJB is the true Bible when not many of us speak/read the languages the original texts from Moses, David, Paul and others wrote?

Shouldin't we say "I believe in the original texts and that KJ is one of the better translations of that text"?

• Administrators

Hi, Ann. Welcome aboard. We're glad to have you join us.

It's good to search for answers to our questions - that's the only way to really learn. The link below will take you the forums where Bibles/versions are discussed. Feel free to browse discussions that have actually centered around your questions, start threads in that forum asking questions, or comment on threads already there. There's an accumulated amount of wisdom in many of those threads.

http://www.onlinebap...m/13-the-bible/