• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

The Fruit of Hylesism

• Members

Another excerpt from "Let's go soul winning"
"I said, “Mr. Hill, this is the prayer to say: ‘Dear Lord, be merciful to me a sinner and forgive my sins and save my soul. I do now repent of my sins and trust Jesus to save me.’” He prayed the prayer. She prayed the same prayer. We got off our knees and they were both crying. I said, “That’s wonderful! Now you said you were saved when you were three, didn’t you?” Mr. Hill looked at me and said, “No, I just got saved a minute ago.” That is a long way around to get the Gospel to them without them wanting it if you don’t think they are saved."

Notice the focus on the prayer. It is not the prayer that saves you. This is the same canned prayer that his followers get people to say when they "Lead" someone to Christ. The Hylesite uses this prayer as the determining factor that you are saved.

With that said, I have read the book "Let's go soul-winning" and there are a lot of good practical things found within the book. It's one of the few good books he has.

• Members

A person can change their beliefs as years go by. That is the reason I asked when it was written.
Yet Jesus tells us this about that man.
PastorJ, Prayers don't save, but faith does, we can't judge whether faith was there are not.

Some of us might object to this mans prayer.

Lu 18:13 And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.

Yet Jesus tells us this about that man.

Lu 18:14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified

• Members

I agree Jerry, but the canned "sinners prayer" doesn't save anyone. It is with the heart and confession that man is saved. I have been out with too many hyles grads and their followers that have made the prayer equal to salvation

• Members

It really doesn't matter what one "prays" if they don't understand what they are "praying" and they don't mean the words of the "prayer" in their heart.

This is the whole problem behind those who push for someone to say a "sinners prayer" rather than biblically presenting them with the Gospel, allowing the Holy Ghost to do His job of convicting them, and seeing whether or not they respond by accepting the conviction or pushing it aside.

We lead no one to Christ simply by getting them to say a "sinners prayer" no matter what words are in that "prayer". One is saved only after they have been convicted by the Holy Ghost, repented and been born again in Christ. Typically, one is saved in their heart before they ever utter a prayer. It's that heart change that saves a person, not a prayer.

We do great damage if we push someone to say a "sinners prayer" when they have not submitted to the conviction of the Holy Ghost.

• Members
had to jump back in here for a moment: an excerpt from a couple of Dr. Hyles' books. They can be found at www.jackhyles.com From "Misunderstood repentance"

"Over and over again the question is asked me, "Is repentance necessary for salvation?" Of course, this is of utmost importance. Anything that deals with the way a person can escape the fires of eternal Hell and go to Heaven to live forever is of vital importance. In this chapter, we will address this most important question".

The entire booklet is good, and much is said about repentance.

Dr. Hyles DOES believe in repentance, and preaches it. Another unfounded rumor put to rest.

But what does Jack Hyles say that repentance is?

Here are some quotes from that same book and same chapter that you were quoting from:

"There are those who say we have to repent of our sins in order to be saved. No, we have to repent only of the thing that makes us unsaved, and that is unbelief."

"Salvation is simply repenting of unbelief, and believing, and letting Christ save us."

"God says to the unsaved, "Repent of your unbelief.""

I call that heresy. His idea of repentance is based upon twisted logic.! Edited by brosmith

• Members

God repented of the evil He was going to do to Nineveh, the fact that He had made man repented God. Repentance, as I understand it, is to "turn against" something. God's creation had turned against Him back in Genesis 6 and later God HImself repented when turned against the judgement He intended for Nineveh. When we repent, we "turn against" our SIN and SELF. We, in effect, take God's side against our self. In your heart, you admit to God that He exists ,that He is righteous, and that you are WRONG and wicked. Before you can even qualify to confess anything to God, you have to believe that He" IS" and "That he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him", In other words, You have to TRUST Him first. It all takes place in the heart first. Saying a prayer without real faith is about as hopeless as a "hail Mary". I've been there, and got the t'shirt.

I don't know much about Jack Hyles, but I have learned from God's Word and experience, that it's not good to put trust in men.

• Members

It really doesn't matter what one "prays" if they don't understand what they are "praying" and they don't mean the words of the "prayer" in their heart.

This is the whole problem behind those who push for someone to say a "sinners prayer" rather than biblically presenting them with the Gospel, allowing the Holy Ghost to do His job of convicting them, and seeing whether or not they respond by accepting the conviction or pushing it aside.

We lead no one to Christ simply by getting them to say a "sinners prayer" no matter what words are in that "prayer". One is saved only after they have been convicted by the Holy Ghost, repented and been born again in Christ. Typically, one is saved in their heart before they ever utter a prayer. It's that heart change that saves a person, not a prayer.

We do great damage if we push someone to say a "sinners prayer" when they have not submitted to the conviction of the Holy Ghost.

That's correct, but if they do understand, & have the faith, trust in Jesus, believeth on Jesus, they will be saved, no matter how simple the prayer might be, or even if its a plain Jane canned prayer. Its not the prayer that saved, but the faith, trust, believing.

Joh 3:36 He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.

• Members

Bro. smith, just what is repentance? I feel that the other opinions are heresy, so what do you think about that?

To repent (turn from your sinful ways) without salvation is to "turn over a new leaf" and means nothing at all. So, look at the Bible examples;
Did the thief on the cross express a contrition for sin? No! He simply asked the Lord to remember him when He got to His kingdom (easy believism?)

What about the Philippian jailer? All Paul told him was to "believe on the Lord Jesus Christ..."

Then the Ethiopian eunuch, did he weep and cry over his sin? I doubt it. Paul simply preached to him Jesus, and not repentance.

Do the Beatitudes speak of repentance when they see that the pure in heart shall see God?

The great commission doesn't even speak of repentance--not a word in any of the places it is recorded!

The publican that said "Lord be merciful to me a sinner" do we know that he repented?

It is silly to think that one can repent aside from salvation, which is in itself a "change of direction" of our life.

Do a word study on repentance and you will discover that most of the tome ot os speaking to church goers, who are, or have claimed to be saved. It is never mentioned as a part of the Gospel.

Preach Jesus, and Him only, lest you become guilty of trying to "help" the Holy Spirit save you.

• Members

Bro. smith, just what is repentance? I feel that the other opinions are heresy, so what do you think about that?

To repent (turn from your sinful ways) without salvation is to "turn over a new leaf" and means nothing at all. So, look at the Bible examples;
Did the thief on the cross express a contrition for sin? No! He simply asked the Lord to remember him when He got to His kingdom (easy believism?)

Yes sir, he did.
Luke 23: 40But the other answering rebuked him, saying, Dost not thou fear God, seeing thou art in the same condemnation?
41And we indeed justly; for we receive the due reward of our deeds: but this man hath done nothing amiss.

This man, in saying this, admitted that He was wrong and God was right. He admitted to being the sinner that he was, in effect he "turned against" sin and self.

What about the Philippian jailer? All Paul told him was to "believe on the Lord Jesus Christ..."
32And they spake unto him the word of the Lord, and to all that were in his house. 33And he took them the same hour of the night, and washed their stripes; and was baptized, he and all his, straightway. 34And when he had brought them into his house, he set meat before them, and rejoiced, believing in God with all his house. Do you reckon they "spake" the whole counsel of God that Jesus died for sinners? Did this man have a "heart change"? I believe so because he "turned agains"t being a cruel Jailer and turned to Jesus, the evidence being that he was afterward KIND to the apostles.

Then the Ethiopian eunuch, did he weep and cry over his sin? I doubt it. Paul simply preached to him Jesus, and not repentance.

35Then Philip opened his mouth, and began at the same scripture, and preached unto him Jesus.

Philip preached to him from Isaiah 53 which outlines our "iniquities" and the blood sacrifice for our sin. Therefore, for this man to "believe" with "all his heart", he had to believe what Jesus was bruised for:: HIS iniquity and HIS sin. Repentence is part of belief, it takes place in the heart.

Do the Beatitudes speak of repentance when they see that the pure in heart shall see God?
Only God can make us pure of heart.

The great commission doesn't even speak of repentance--not a word in any of the places it is recorded!
The Gospel, preached by the great commision, includes the principle of repentence.

The publican that said "Lord be merciful to me a sinner" do we know that he repented?
What did the publican admit to?

'It is silly to think that one can repent aside from salvation, which is in itself a "change of direction" of our life.
Repentence is part of salvation. It is not an act, or a deed. it is turning to God against self...in your heart.

Do a word study on repentance and you will discover that most of the tome ot os speaking to church goers, who are, or have claimed to be saved. It is never mentioned as a part of the Gospel.
Repentence is to everyone.

Preach Jesus, and Him only, lest you become guilty of trying to "help" the Holy Spirit save you
. The devils believe in Jesus, but they have never repented.. they have never turned to God against self.

• Members

Leave me ask a question, it will follow the verses pasted below.

Ro 10:1 ¶ Brethren, my heart's desire and prayer to God for Israel is, that they might be saved.
Ro 10:2 For I bear them record that they have a zeal of God, but not according to knowledge.
Ro 10:3 For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God.
Ro 10:4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.
Ro 10:5 For Moses describeth the righteousness which is of the law, That the man which doeth those things shall live by them.
Ro 10:6 But the righteousness which is of faith speaketh on this wise, Say not in thine heart, Who shall ascend into heaven? (that is, to bring Christ down from above:)
Ro 10:7 Or, Who shall descend into the deep? (that is, to bring up Christ again from the dead.)
Ro 10:8 But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach;
Ro 10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
Ro 10:10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.
Ro 10:11 For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.
Ro 10:12 ¶ For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him.
Ro 10:13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.
Ro 10:14 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?
Ro 10:15 And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!
Ro 10:16 But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report?
Ro 10:17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
Ro 10:18 But I say, Have they not heard? Yes verily, their sound went into all the earth, and their words unto the ends of the world.
Ro 10:19 But I say, Did not Israel know? First Moses saith, I will provoke you to jealousy by them that are no people, and by a foolish nation I will anger you.
Ro 10:20 But Esaias is very bold, and saith, I was found of them that sought me not; I was made manifest unto them that asked not after me.
Ro 10:21 But to Israel he saith, All day long I have stretched forth my hands unto a disobedient and gainsaying people.

If a man that knew nothing about the Bible, that was lost, was out somewhere away from all mankind, come across a pieces of paper that had the above verses printed on it, do you think if that man died never seeing another person, or reading any other part of the Bible, from the knowledge gained from theses verses could that man be saved?

• Members

2 Peter 3:9

King James Version (KJV)

9The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

So, according to your interpretation of repentance, concerning that verse, the man is saved by repentance, aside from grace. Now, no doubt you will tell me how repentance is given through grace, but if we teach that verse to someone, they are depending on repentance to save them, not the grace of God. This is referring to accepting Christ, which is true repentance, is it not? When one becomes a "new creature" he has turned to the living God, and away from self, that sounds a lot like repentance to me!

By the way, nearly every plan (this in reference to the reference in Heartstrings post of the thief on the cross) entails the admission that they are sinners, and that there is a price on sin, remember that?

Just read your post too Jerry, and I am shocked that you asked that question. I do believe he could be saved, the Lord knows the heart, and not the words we say or whether we know all about repentance or not. Many people get saved from merely reading scriptures, and who knows how they understand it?
It is the "power of God unto salvation". If he calls upon the name of the Lord, that is not a natural thing to do, especially if he is not compelled by human instrumentality; he is looking for something, and will learn what it is by the grace of God. How can all you people argue against that? I don't understand how you could. Edited by irishman