• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Can a negative living enviroment cause a hinderance in ones spiritual life?

• Members

I am 18. I live at home. My mom and dad are divorced. Neither one of my parents are easy to get along with. I have been saved, June 7th 2009 to be exact. I seem to be struggling growing in my spiritual life. I hate to blame my living conditions, but COULD that be a probable cause??

• Moderators

Being surrounded by a difficult environment - worldy surroundings, unsaved companions - can definitely have an impact on one's Christisn growth. It's not the only problem, though. Generally you'll find that it's the flesh that causes us the most difficulty in growing - the old, sinful part of us that we are no longer bound to obey, but which is still around, tempting us to live for ourselves instead of for God. (Think Romans 7.) Thankfully, we have Romans 8, telling us that as we look to Christ to "work in us to will and to do of His good pleasure", He will continue growing us. We don't have to grow ourselves, so to speak! Just rest in the fact that He's done everything necessary for us to be both saved and sanctified, and trust Him to do so! "As ye have therefore received Christ Jesus the Lord (by faith, so walk ye in Him (by faith!)."
Do you have a good, Bible-believing church nearby to attend? And strong Christian friends? Are you spending time reading God's Word? All of these will help encourage you and counteract that negative environment.

Edited by salyan

• Administrators

It can be detrimental, sd. Immerse yourself in God's Word, as salyan mentioned, find a strong Bible-believing church (if you don't attend already), and strong Christian friends. Be in prayer for your parents to get saved, and ask the Lord to change YOU to be the testimony you need to be for your parents (I'm not saying you aren't a good testimony, but everyone of us - even those who've been saved for many years - can improve).

• Members

I am 18. I live at home. My mom and dad are divorced. Neither one of my parents are easy to get along with. I have been saved, June 7th 2009 to be exact. I seem to be struggling growing in my spiritual life. I hate to blame my living conditions, but COULD that be a probable cause??

Growning in our spiritual life isn't always easy, regardless of our circumstances. Granted, some surroundings are better than others.

Attending a local church for worship. study, and fellowship are a big help. As is finding your own "closet" for prayer and study. A quiet place to talk to God. Whether it's under a tree in the backyard, in your car (parked) listening to hymns, or at a desk in your bedroom. Find your special place (closet).

If you haven't already read the Bible from cover to cover, now is a good time to do it. Here's the tool that I used to read it on line. This works well because I can choose the Bible version, and read as much as each day will allow. It's not the fixed type study which has a list of what to read each day. This also has a progress report that helps when dealing with some of those long books in the OT that are filled with names & numbers. There's about a 1 page commentary for each day's study . http://www.sbc.net/biblepathway/newuser.asp

Add a daily devotion time to your schedule. Pick a time that works for you and stay with it. Many people use the time before they go to work, as they are fresh and it's a good way to start the day. There are a number of on-line sites with daily devotions. And there are printed ones, too.
The one that I'm currently using is printed. My Utmost for His Highest. (Was given a leather bound copy.) Here's the link to the "classic" version. http://utmost.org/classic/today/ It's been "updated" here. http://utmost.org/
Another available in print for a small donation is Our Daily Bread. Also, on line here: http://odb.org/

During your devotion time, talk to God. This means prayer and praise. I use this term, as prayer shouldn't be, IMHO, a ritual or habit. In your quiet time, pray from your heart, not what you've heard others say. Not what you "think" the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit want to hear. You're simply acknowledging what the Godhead already knows that's in your heart. You're putting it into words, as you give thanks, ask for forgiveness, ask for guidance, asking for wisdom and understanding, lift up other's needs, etc. & etc.

Lastly, be patient, as my pastor told me yesterday. Spiritual growth takes time. It moves at God's pace, not ours. We can't force it or rush it. Here's one of my favorite scriptures.

Proverbs 2:3-6 KJB
3Yea, if thou criest after knowledge, and liftest up thy voice for understanding;
4If thou seekest her as silver, and searchest for her as for hid treasures;
5Then shalt thou understand the fear of the LORD, and find the knowledge of God.
6For the LORD giveth wisdom: out of his mouth cometh knowledge and understanding.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

From the 'for what it's worth department', I grew up in a broken home, as some call it. My Dad got remarried, divorced, remarried, divorced. There were, besides my step mothers, various women spending the night. Drinking to excess was normal. You get the picture.

I read and studied the Bible, spent as much time at church as possible, attended school and worked. God is faithful. He knows and will provide for His children.

Yes!
Yes if we take our eyes off the Lord Jesus Christ.
Keep your eyes squarely focused on Him through God's word and you may win your parents.

Study young Timothy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

"Evil communications corrupt good manners". So yes, it can effect your spiritual life. If it couldn't then God wouldn't have told us to seperate from certain people. Unfortunately it seems God leaves us in the middle of bad places at times and doesn't do nothing about it. I guess in this evil fallen world you just can't get away from bad people, situations or places all the time. Unless you become a monk.

• Members

This is one of those paradoxes in Scripture, it seems. On one hand, we are warned against exposing ourselves to bad influences, and on the other hand, if we are walking with the Lord and are steadfastly focussed on Him, He promises to give us His grace and spiritual protection. Perhaps the solution to the paradox is: when the situation is within your control, separate from the bad influences, and when you cannot do so, rely solely on the Lord to give you the grace to live for Him without compromise in that environment.