• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Do you have a cell phone?

• Members

Is it really a dumb question?

I used to have to have one when I was working. I have one now...let's see where is that thing...oh yea, I left it in my truck two days ago.

I now have what I call a "grocery store" phone. You can pick them up in a grocery store while waiting to check out. You buy minutes on an extra card. I've had my grocery store phone for about 4 years now. It's a Motorola Razor and for such an "old" phone it has extra bells and whistles (texting, internet access, probably other stuff I'm not aware of).

I have to laugh when I see folks tethered to their cell like their life depends on it. They can't even enjoy the simple freedom of having no one call them.

Do you have a cell phone? Do you feel it's invaded your life?

• Members

I don't have a cell phone. I've considered getting one to have with me mostly for emergency use, probably something like that "grocery store" phone. We looked at something about tracfones, or something like that, but we still don't have one.

I absolutely don't want one to just talk on all the time or have people calling me all the time. If I'm around my sister or her daughters it's not long before their cell phone is going off and they are talking or texting with someone.

It's amazing how many people walk around and drive around with that cell phone pressed against their ear all the time. It seems rather rude with people walking around the store talking overly loud and you wonder if someone is saying something to you and when you look there they are on that cell phone. I've noticed many don't even get off their cell phone during checkout anymore, they just keep right on jabbering away as they go through the checkout lane.

Anyway, no I don't own one but wouldn't mind having one at some time for emergency use.

• Members

I had a new one arrive today. It gives me 500 minutes to any network, 3000 mins to the same network, per month, internet, email and Skype. I probably use less than 20 any network mins per month and about 20 same network minutes a year, mainly to my wife.

• Administrators

We have one each. We got them years ago because our schedules are so weird. With my husband driving so much, it is nice to know he can call if there is a need...and there have been a few.

There have been a few times where things have happened (like when my Grandma died, or my Dad, etc), that necessitated talking to several people. I had several conversations going at the same time via text (not while I was driving!). That was interesting, and definitely helpful, so I didn't have to make a bunch of phone calls.

Cell phones can be intrusive, but they can also be a blessing.

• Members

I was once travelling on a hovercraft, and a man was conducting one business deal after another, at the top of his voice on his mobile phone. After a while, someone from the other side of the lounge shouted. "Speak up, we can't hear you." It diddn't make any difference.

• Members

I wonder what the folks was saying back in the day when wired phones went into houses. I'm sure someone complained that they where at someones house and how rude, a box on the wall rang and they talked to it. :)

When I was a child, if someone called anyones home and they had company they would answer the phone, tell them they had company and that they would call them back later. People didn't talk on the phone while company sat there.

• Members

Not a dumb question.

No, I do not have one, & I do not want one, for I do not want to act like a fool that I see other people do while taking on their cell phone in public.

Amazing, friends do not have time to stop & talk to you at Walmart, nor any other place no more, they are to busy being connected.

I saw a fried just last week, I had not seen him in years, he had his cell phone glued to his ear.

Last week setting in the doctor office, setting next to me was a foolish woman, talking on her cell phone, & I did not care the least bit hearing her side of the phone conversation. When the nurse called her she walked though the door going back towards the doctors office still talking so everyone could hear her. That was a smart nurse, for she gave the woman a look as if she thought the woman was stupid, the nurse was right on.

More nice people have become ruse people just because of cell phones.

Cell phones could be wonderful things, used properly, yet it transfers them into something they were not.

I feel sure there's some that it does not, but if your out in the public much, it seems there's few of them.

And don't forget the people driving that causes all types of accidents, even deaths.