Online Baptist

King James Version

Doc Flay

• Independent Fundamental Baptist

I can hear it right now, the pastor saying, in order to understand this verse you must go to the NIV, for its impossible to understand it using the KJ. What he is actually saying is, that he disagrees with the meaning of that verse in the KJ, but agrees with the meaning of that verse in the NIV. That man becomes his own god, choosing what he wants to believe. Most that do this use even more than two version, they use several versions, & they preach their own Gospel, not the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

This is exactly what happens at Calvary Chapel in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. They hand out the NKJV but use several other (NEVER a KJV though) versions during their "sermons". Typical Laodicean church.
  • Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Years ago I used go for walks with a couple of friends and we would memorize Scripture and repeat it during our walks. One guy used the NIV and after he would say his memory verse I would then say, "and now for the real Bible" before I quoted from the KJB. :icon_smile:

If you left out saying "and now for the real Bible" then I would actually love doing that with you... or we agree on a translation to use before.

What I hear TV & radio pastors say is much different, they will say the MV so & so makes it clearer than the KJ Bible, & that is why I do not use the KJ Bible. And most of those that use the KJ will refer to a MV several times saying in order to understand this verse you have to use MV so & so.

What I hear TV & radio pastors say is much different, they will say the MV so & so makes it clearer than the KJ Bible, & that is why I do not use the KJ Bible. And most of those that use the KJ will refer to a MV several times saying in order to understand this verse you have to use MV so & so.

I still hear a lot of that too, it's only on the local station I've really heard the other.

The Bible tells us that we should rejoice when we are mocked and persecuted for His name.

I am so thankful that I found a good IFB church which helped me learn proper Bible doctrine and got me away from the other so-called bibles (or shall I say perversions).....

Anything other than the AV/KJV is either watered down, changes/disminishes Christ, sin, Satan, and the like, and in many occasions merely removed part of or entire verses.

There's is nothing wrong with the AV/KJV!!

Give me the Old Black Book!!

If you left out saying "and now for the real Bible" then I would actually love doing that with you... or we agree on a translation to use before.

It is the real Bible, the KJV. The others are corrupt.

The Bible tells us that we should rejoice when we are mocked and persecuted for His name.

I am so thankful that I found a good IFB church which helped me learn proper Bible doctrine and got me away from the other so-called bibles (or shall I say perversions).....

Anything other than the AV/KJV is either watered down, changes/disminishes Christ, sin, Satan, and the like, and in many occasions merely removed part of or entire verses.

There's is nothing wrong with the AV/KJV!!

Give me the Old Black Book!!

Today, doesn't the Christian complain when mocked, & sue when persecuted.

1Pe 3:14 But and if ye suffer for righteousness' sake, happy are ye: and be not afraid of their terror, neither be troubled;
1Pe 4:14 If ye be reproached for the name of Christ, happy are ye; for the spirit of glory and of God resteth upon you: on their part he is evil spoken of, but on your part he is glorified.

Don't we rejoice only when blessing after blessings rolls in, having all of our wants me, while being treated wonderful by both Christians & unbelievers?

My quote function isn't working at the moment.

Unfortunately many Christians do complain if they aren't being blessed.

My wife and I are striving to do that less than we have in the past. At present we are looking for a new place to call home when our current lease expires. We are doing better with patience and waiting on Him. God provided everything we needed to move last fall, gave us just enough resources to get here and provided the right place to live. Now, as we see homes that we "like," God is not allowing any of them to be ours at present. We are accepting this as "God" is closing the door for His reason. We know He will provide us with the right home at the right time. We continue to just take this day to day, looking to Him to provide, despite what we think is right for us.

• Advanced Member

The love of money is the root of all evil. At first glance this would seem incorrect while the NIV correct. But upon reading what Jesus said it would make more sense.

Matt. 6:24- No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.

I never realized how much was "missing" from the NIV so I looked up the verses you mentioned. In the footnotes it says that those verses are mentioned in the original manuscripts and then they say what the verse was... so they really are not missing from my Bible... (its a study Bible so maybe thats why they mention them?)

The editors have changed the footnotes over the years. since they've been called out so many times. For example, I had the 1978 edition of the NIV where Acts 8:37 was dumped from the text and it said in the footnotes that it wasn't in the originals. I believe they have changed this in the recent editions of the NIV under pressure.

Try this link as a start.

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/Bible/NIV/why.htm. This is just one of many sources that can be found regarding the KJV.

David Daniels also has written a thorough book on the KJV.

I used to buy into the lies that "all versions are ok," "it doesn't matter what version one reads," "the KJV is too hard to read," and the like. I was saved in a non-IFB church using the NIV. However, almost immediately The Lord opened my eyes about the NIV so I started to check things out. The first thing I had to do was get out of the feel-good, lets all be friends Nazarene church. It was years later that I learned the there were IFB churches who taught/preached from the KJV.

The NIV and other texts change wording, disminish the glory of Christ, remove part of and in some places entire verses. The NIV is based on corrupt text. The NIV diminishes sin, it diminishes sodomy (oh wait, I think they took that word out and put in a less offensive word).

Why are there so many versions of the Bible, because Satan is the great deceiver and he hates Gods true word, so he has led man to create the other versions to deceive man.

Why would one want to read a watered-down "version" when the AV/KJV is available?

My family, at least those who do have a Bible, don't like to hear that the NIV is bad either, but they also don't go to church regularly, don't read their Bible, and when they go to church they hear candy-coated messages and are told they don't need to change.

Every day isn't a Friday, and we are not to all get along. Those who are saved are told that we will be mocked, persecuted. We are told to be separated from the world. We are to take Gods word to the lost. It isn't up to us to save, that is up to the Holy Spirit. We are to plant the seed. If we are planting the seed, we should do it with the best seed we have available.....that would be God's true word, the KJV.

• Members

Try this link as a start.

http://www.jesus-is-...le/NIV/why.htm. This is just one of many sources that can be found regarding the KJV.

David Daniels also has written a thorough book on the KJV.

I used to buy into the lies that "all versions are ok," "it doesn't matter what version one reads," "the KJV is too hard to read," and the like. I was saved in a non-IFB church using the NIV. However, almost immediately The Lord opened my eyes about the NIV so I started to check things out. The first thing I had to do was get out of the feel-good, lets all be friends Nazarene church. It was years later that I learned the there were IFB churches who taught/preached from the KJV.

The NIV and other texts change wording, disminish the glory of Christ, remove part of and in some places entire verses. The NIV is based on corrupt text. The NIV diminishes sin, it diminishes sodomy (oh wait, I think they took that word out and put in a less offensive word).

Why are there so many versions of the Bible, because Satan is the great deceiver and he hates Gods true word, so he has led man to create the other versions to deceive man.

Why would one want to read a watered-down "version" when the AV/KJV is available?

My family, at least those who do have a Bible, don't like to hear that the NIV is bad either, but they also don't go to church regularly, don't read their Bible, and when they go to church they hear candy-coated messages and are told they don't need to change.

Every day isn't a Friday, and we are not to all get along. Those who are saved are told that we will be mocked, persecuted. We are told to be separated from the world. We are to take Gods word to the lost. It isn't up to us to save, that is up to the Holy Spirit. We are to plant the seed. If we are planting the seed, we should do it with the best seed we have available.....that would be God's true word, the KJV.

My family and I are all Christians, we love the Lord, we serve Him in many ways... We plant seeds as well... using the NIV. So is what we do wrong?
  • Moderators

Teyla, you've asked us what we believe concerning the KJV. Various ones have shared with you what and why. It's not up to us to convince you of our beliefs - if the Holy Spirit wants you to believe this, He will do the convincing! It does seem like you are taking our comments as a personal attack - please don't. We are not trying to hurt you or put down your family. We believe very strongly about this subject, and since you asked, are glad to share our reasons with you. That's all. :)

• Members

But it is in a way a personal attack... you folks are wonderful and I enjoy reading your posts. But you make it seem like anyone who does not use the King James is either not a true Christian or our faith is wrong... So maybe I am taking it wrong but it just looks like many of you are so focused on the translation, not the actual Word of God.

But it is in a way a personal attack... you folks are wonderful and I enjoy reading your posts. But you make it seem like anyone who does not use the King James is either not a true Christian or our faith is wrong... So maybe I am taking it wrong but it just looks like many of you are so focused on the translation, not the actual Word of God.

If I have given that impression, I apologize. I know many true Christians who were saved while reading MVs, and many who have grown in Christ using an MV. In no way do I think they are not Christians or they have some kind of wrong faith. I do believe the ones who refuse to even use the KJB at all are limiting themselves.
  • Moderators

That's a good caution. It's easy for us/me/anyone to get off on our pet doctrine or translation, instead of truly defending God's Word because it is His Word. Thank you for the reminder.

I don't believe that anyone here - no matter how caustic they may seem - would believe that you (or anyone!) is not a true Christian because you don't use the KJV. (I do know of people that actually believe that - and IMO they are waaaay off.) Neither is your faith wrong - as long as it is focused on the Word of God, it cannot be wrong. And some of the Word of God is definitely in the MVs. (Well, maybe not The Message or really messed up ones like that. That's more like the word of man paraphrasing God's Word. But I digress...) But how can you truly defend your Bible to skeptics? If they were to say, 'some manuscripts don't contain the resurrection. How do you know it really happened and wasn't just added to the Bible years later' - on what authority would you respond? When they say 'the Bible doesn't even agree with itself. Just look at all these different translations' - how would you answer them? I found that understanding the manuscript issue and the problems with modern translation philosophies gave me an answer to those questions - and that understanding pointed me straight at this position of defending what I believe to be the more pure Word.

I do want to add, that even though I had preferred the KJV prior to studying this all out (reeeaaallly didn't like that footnote in Mark!), when I first heard of this 'king james only' position, it sounded incredibly arrogant to me. And that was with me already liking the king James! So I understand a bit of your POV.

Question for you, now: from your position, now, how would you answer those skeptic's questions?

Ma'am, by using a corrupt translation written by the enemies of God you are stunting your growth as a Christian. You will slow down the process of sanctification, to be more like Jesus Christ. The most conservative Christians I know, who are stuck on the NIV, are but babes in Christ many years after their salvation. Many of us here, myself included, were saved with and at one time used the NIV but the Holy Ghost intervened, I suddenly developed an interest in studying the different versions and a burden to join a New Testament Church. Praise God that I'm not still attending a Catholic Church or one of her Rock-N-Roll harlots!

My prayer for you young lady is that you seek the Lord's counsel through prayer and reading his Word as you've sought ours and the Holy Spirit will point you toward the truth.

Did anyone mention Psalm 12:6???
  • Members

That's a good caution. It's easy for us/me/anyone to get off on our pet doctrine or translation, instead of truly defending God's Word because it is His Word. Thank you for the reminder.

I don't believe that anyone here - no matter how caustic they may seem - would believe that you (or anyone!) is not a true Christian because you don't use the KJV. (I do know of people that actually believe that - and IMO they are waaaay off.) Neither is your faith wrong - as long as it is focused on the Word of God, it cannot be wrong. And some of the Word of God is definitely in the MVs. (Well, maybe not The Message or really messed up ones like that. That's more like the word of man paraphrasing God's Word. But I digress...) But how can you truly defend your Bible to skeptics? If they were to say, 'some manuscripts don't contain the resurrection. How do you know it really happened and wasn't just added to the Bible years later' - on what authority would you respond? When they say 'the Bible doesn't even agree with itself. Just look at all these different translations' - how would you answer them? I found that understanding the manuscript issue and the problems with modern translation philosophies gave me an answer to those questions - and that understanding pointed me straight at this position of defending what I believe to be the more pure Word.

I do want to add, that even though I had preferred the KJV prior to studying this all out (reeeaaallly didn't like that footnote in Mark!), when I first heard of this 'king james only' position, it sounded incredibly arrogant to me. And that was with me already liking the king James! So I understand a bit of your POV.

Question for you, now: from your position, now, how would you answer those skeptic's questions?

I use both my NIV and King James (My King James is the one I bring to church and read with my husband) I see the NIV as Gods Word, written in modern English.... the English we speak every day. I don't go up to people and start talking in old English. So that is my answer for modern versions. I would never use the Message Bible as my main Bible but I do look up verses in that version because I have found that it is very good at explaining a point. Read John 3:16 for example... thats almost exactly word for word how I would explain that verse to someone. I think all translations have a good use to them. Some translations are wonderful to preach from (KJB) or to read at home for our devotional time (NIV) or to use as a tool to help us explain a verse to someone (The Message)

All translations have Gods word in them. All show the way to salvation.

I use both my NIV and King James (My King James is the one I bring to church and read with my husband) I see the NIV as Gods Word, written in modern English.... the English we speak every day. I don't go up to people and start talking in old English. So that is my answer for modern versions. I would never use the Message Bible as my main Bible but I do look up verses in that version because I have found that it is very good at explaining a point. Read John 3:16 for example... thats almost exactly word for word how I would explain that verse to someone. I think all translations have a good use to them. Some translations are wonderful to preach from (KJB) or to read at home for our devotional time (NIV) or to use as a tool to help us explain a verse to someone (The Message)

All translations have Gods word in them. All show the way to salvation.

Did you look up the information regarding the verses MVs leave out?

The issue really has nothing to do with whether the English used is old or modern, it has to do with what transcripts were used, what agenda the translators had, and whether those translators were ever Bible believing Christians.
  • Members

Did you look up the information regarding the verses MVs leave out?

The issue really has nothing to do with whether the English used is old or modern, it has to do with what transcripts were used, what agenda the translators had, and whether those translators were ever Bible believing Christians.

I did look them up. In my Bible the verses are mentioned. I am not sure about other modern versions because I do not use them.
My mother went to a Bible college and she heard a sermon on Bible translations. The NIV was translated by scholars who felt God calling them to translate the Bible into a more readable translation.

The NIV was translated by scholars who felt God calling them to translate the Bible into a more readable translation.

Yes, and those "scholars" included gnostics and a militant lesbian. If you're not aware, gnostics and sodomites are not Christians, they are enemies of God, lost sinners in need of salvation through Jesus Christ. The Holy Spirit, the truth is not in them and therefore they are unable to properly translate God's Word into a modern reading style. Is the latest NIV with all of its many changes made to conform to the Catholics still the Word of God? Is any of this making sense yet?
  • Members

Yes, and those "scholars" included gnostics and a militant lesbian. If you're not aware, gnostics and sodomites are not Christians, they are enemies of God, lost sinners in need of salvation through Jesus Christ. The Holy Spirit, the truth is not in them and therefore they are unable to properly translate God's Word into a modern reading style. Is the latest NIV with all of its many changes made to conform to the Catholics still the Word of God? Is any of this making sense yet?

We are all sinners and in need of saving.... the people who translated the King James were sinners, yet their translation is more holy than others?

My intent wasn't to be caustic. Once I had my eyes open to the faults of all modern translations (and I saw the NIV errors myself) I immediately dumped my NIV. It took my wife a little while longer for her to understand and see for herself that the NIV and other versions twist scripture.

IMHO, the debate over bible versions is not new, rather it is just coming more into light as the number of erroneous versions grows and more and more people and churches are falling away from God and His word, giving in to worldliness and cotton candy (or Burger King) preaching. Today, too many people want God on their terms as opposed to His terms, thus we get watered down bible versions, lukewarm preaching, feel-good messages. I have learned that even there are some once-solid IFB churches who have fallen away from sound doctrine and the KJV, don't preach on sin and hell, giving in to what the world wants.

Gods word will divide.

We are all sinners and in need of saving.... the people who translated the King James were sinners, yet their translation is more holy than others?

I agree, we all fall short of the glory of God.

No, I did not say your family did not read the Bible, if they read others beside the KJ, they're trusting in a corrupt Bible.

And as far as that goes, a person can get saved simply by picking up a good tract & reading it, yet they do not have the Bible in their hands, so by you saying a person can get saved by reading from one of the MV's of the Bible proves nothing.
  • Members

I agree, we all fall short of the glory of God.

No, I did not say your family did not read the Bible, if they read others beside the KJ, they're trusting in a corrupt Bible.

And as far as that goes, a person can get saved simply by picking up a good tract & reading it, yet they do not have the Bible in their hands, so by you saying a person can get saved by reading from one of the MV's of the Bible proves nothing.

If a person reads a corrupt Bible then is that persons faith corrupt as well?
  • Moderators
...their translation is more holy than others?

Perhaps they were more holy then some... (I mean, seriously, would you want a militant lesbian influencing the production of your children's Sunday school materials? Or anything else you read? How is someone who is living in such blatant disregard of the word of God expected to be led of the Holy Spirit in such a sensitive area as the translation of the word of God? And Paul denounced gnostics as heretics, and warned the believers against their influence!) (Please notice I said some, notall!)

But that really isn't the point. Compare:

a. Greek/Hebrew manuscripts originally copied at a centre of false doctrine, preserved by a heretical church, and discovered by men who doubted the innerancy of the original Scriptures
b. Anything else! But we have:
c. Greek/Hebrew manuscripts that comprise the majority of the remnants, preserved by evangelistic churches, and in accordance with the earliest-known later-discovered extant manuscripts

Also compare:
a. A translation method with many checks and balances, based on a belief in the holiness and innerancy of Scripture, and translating each word literally from the manuscripts
b. A translation method based on the belief that since the actual original documents were not extant, the word of God had already been lost and therefore had to be reformulated based on man's reasoning and modern thought, and also on the premise that the perceived thoughts (i.e. what God intended to say) should be translated rather than the actual individual words of Scripture. Increasingly affected by modern ideas of what is 'politically correct' and 'inclusive'.

Another question for you. The JW's have created the New Kingdom Translation. Would you support that translation? Why or why not?

(edited to take out the little guys in sunglasses when you try to punctuate with a ')'!)

I did look them up. In my Bible the verses are mentioned. I am not sure about other modern versions because I do not use them.
My mother went to a Bible college and she heard a sermon on Bible translations. The NIV was translated by scholars who felt God calling them to translate the Bible into a more readable translation.

Sorry I wasn't clear. I meant the references to and the link to information regarding the substantial differences between translations.

Also, with regards to those doing the translating, we need to remember that while we are all sinners, there is a vast difference between a born again believer who doesn't walk in sin, and a professing Christian who does walk in sin.

Ma'am, I think your stubborn defense of the NIV is symptom of being too prideful in this manner. Folks here keep providing you with Scripture and still you cannot see. Is your husband a member of this forum? What are his thoughts on this subject?
  • Members

Ma'am, I think your stubborn defense of the NIV is symptom of being too prideful in this manner. Folks here keep providing you with Scripture and still you cannot see. Is your husband a member of this forum? What are his thoughts on this subject?

I am not in anyway trying to be prideful, I am just simply trying to understand why some Christians are strictly KJ only and reject all other translations... among other questions I have. Healthy debate is not wrong it it? I have taken all that has been said very seriously. The links you all provide are wonderful. How am I being stubborn? I have my views and I am trying to see others in better light.

No my husband is not on here. He likes the King James and others to. Just like I do.

I am not in anyway trying to be prideful, I am just simply trying to understand why some Christians are strictly KJ only and reject all other translations... among other questions I have. Healthy debate is not wrong it it? I have taken all that has been said very seriously. The links you all provide are wonderful. How am I being stubborn? I have my views and I am trying to see others in better light.

No my husband is not on here. He likes the King James and others to. Just like I do.

My prayer for you and your husband young lady is that you'll both seek the Lord's counsel through prayer and reading his Word as you've sought ours and the Holy Spirit will point you toward the truth and you will not then continue to reject it but come to repentance.

Have you read Psalm 12:6???

Archived