• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Noise And Heat; How Will God Destroy The Earth?

• Members

One woman said as a young girl she was scared into heaven, I wonder at times if it really worked, she seldom darkens the doors of a church building, & at one time in the last few years had two known drug-headed men shacked up with her. I recall another incident in this woman life while she was attending church, she sold about $10,000.00 dollars of timber. The day she received her check, she took off to another town, picked up a man at a drinking establishment, them took off to the boats. After staying in a motel, losing all of her money, the man left her, empty handed, & with empty pockets. I don't know, but it does not seem that hell scared her enough to really accept Jesus' open arms. Jesus does tell us, "Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them," Matthew 7:20.

Up until I was saved at just over 15 years of age, I had been in church all through those years, attending many Bible study classes, many preaching services, & many revivals. The afternoon I accept Christ as Savior I did not feel as if I had been scared into the arms of Jesus, it seemed at that moment Jesus full of compassion held His arms open to me, inviting me into them, & I simply accepted the invitation.

Re 3:20 Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.

I'm sure for many, it seems as if He stands at the door of their life, heart, knocks, & they simply open up their life, heart, & invite Him in.

I had one pastor friend whom I have much respect for make a comment about those on their death bed that have lived as an infidel all their life, suddenly profess Christ as Savior. He stated, ‘Did they do this just out of fear of hell in their last moments of life? If so did they really repent, & get save? I don’t know, only Jesus does, yet I fear many such professions of faith like that are empty.’ No doubt, its dangerous to put it off till the last moments.

John, I don't know about that, back though the late 50's, & into the 60's, many people were scared that a nuclear war would take place. I remember the drills at our school, & seeing one or two walking around with a Geiger counter. And during those years many nuclear fall out shelters were built, & there was much publicly about what could happen due to nuclear fall out, so from my experience it seems more people showed fear of radiation fall out than they did of the Lords return & life in hell. I to remember my Air Force days in SAC working on the engines of the B-52’s. We had several B-52’s setting on the alter pad, loaded down with weapons, many of them having a Hound Dog on each wing. It was an amazing thing when the buzzer went off. Crews running to their planes, starting their engines, at that point everyone in the area knew that was an alter, yet no one knew if it was real or not. Some of our airmen, it put a great fear in their heart, to think this might be the end. I feel though those times there was many that feared that much more than they feared God & hell. If they had the church houses would have been full with many standing outside of the doors, with a big thirst for the Gospel.

That is I have seen many more people shook up over fallout, than I have of the thought of going to hell.

Yep, secular humanism has out grown the scare of nuclear war. It may drive folks inside the church building until the all clear siren sounds. In 1958 I started kindergarten but I still remember the instruction on T.V. "duck and cover." Few of the people I knew then show any sign of faith now.

• Members

One woman said as a young girl she was scared into heaven, I wonder at times if it really worked, she seldom darkens the doors of a church building, & at one time in the last few years had two known drug-headed men shacked up with her. I recall another incident in this woman life while she was attending church, she sold about $10,000.00 dollars of timber. The day she received her check, she took off to another town, picked up a man at a drinking establishment, them took off to the boats. After staying in a motel, losing all of her money, the man left her, empty handed, & with empty pockets. I don't know, but it does not seem that hell scared her enough to really accept Jesus' open arms. Jesus does tell us, "Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them," Matthew 7:20.

Up until I was saved at just over 15 years of age, I had been in church all through those years, attending many Bible study classes, many preaching services, & many revivals. The afternoon I accept Christ as Savior I did not feel as if I had been scared into the arms of Jesus, it seemed at that moment Jesus full of compassion held His arms open to me, inviting me into them, & I simply accepted the invitation.

Re 3:20 Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.

I'm sure for many, it seems as if He stands at the door of their life, heart, knocks, & they simply open up their life, heart, & invite Him in.

I had one pastor friend whom I have much respect for make a comment about those on their death bed that have lived as an infidel all their life, suddenly profess Christ as Savior. He stated, ‘Did they do this just out of fear of hell in their last moments of life? If so did they really repent, & get save? I don’t know, only Jesus does, yet I fear many such professions of faith like that are empty.’ No doubt, its dangerous to put it off till the last moments.

John, I don't know about that, back though the late 50's, & into the 60's, many people were scared that a nuclear war would take place. I remember the drills at our school, & seeing one or two walking around with a Geiger counter. And during those years many nuclear fall out shelters were built, & there was much publicly about what could happen due to nuclear fall out, so from my experience it seems more people showed fear of radiation fall out than they did of the Lords return & life in hell. I to remember my Air Force days in SAC working on the engines of the B-52’s. We had several B-52’s setting on the alter pad, loaded down with weapons, many of them having a Hound Dog on each wing. It was an amazing thing when the buzzer went off. Crews running to their planes, starting their engines, at that point everyone in the area knew that was an alter, yet no one knew if it was real or not. Some of our airmen, it put a great fear in their heart, to think this might be the end. I feel though those times there was many that feared that much more than they feared God & hell. If they had the church houses would have been full with many standing outside of the doors, with a big thirst for the Gospel.

That is I have seen many more people shook up over fallout, than I have of the thought of going to hell.

Without a doubt many folks used to be very fearful of nuclear war. Most especially, it seems, those who lived through the repeated news of the high risk of nuclear war throughout the 50s and 60s, and to a lesser extent those in the 70s and 80s. Since the fall of the Soviet Union it seems there is much less fear of nuclear war.

It would seem, regarding the lady you mentioned, that had she been scared into heaven, her fruit would bear witness to that. Fear that will drive one to into the arms of Jesus will also keep one there.

I wouldn't say it was totally fear that brought me to salvation, but it did play a part in it. I had just turned 18, had spent years in Sunday school and VBS, until my early teens, and had never heard a thing about the need to be born again, of the Second Coming, of Judgement, any sort of end time, that there was only one sure way to get to heaven. I heard about all these things at one time, at an evening church service, and there was certainly an amount of fear in me, but for myself, I think the biggest part of the fear was that I realized in order to be right with God, to go to heaven, I had to be right with Jesus, and for the first time in my life I realized I was headed to hell for certain. That night, I was born again in Christ.

Prior to that I had been taught in the Methodist church that I had to "be good" to go to heaven.

• Members

My experience, is that those who were scared of nuclear war, were not saved but joined CND.

I do not believe that anyone is saved by fear of hell, nuclear war, or hope of heaven.

I believe that every who is saved has been saved by their knowledge of being sinners who have offended a holy and righteous God, and have repented of their sin and called on the Saviour for forgiveness.

Edited for spelling.

Edited by Invicta

• Members

My experience, is that those who were scared of nuclear war, were not saved but joined CND.

I do not believe that anyone is saved by fear of hell, nuclear war, or hope of heaven.

I believe that every who is saved has been saved by their knowledge of being sinners who have offended a holy and righteous God, and have repented of their sin and called on the Saviour for forgiveness.

Edited for spelling.

Discovering that I was a sinner headed to hell did bring about fear in me, but it wasn't only the fear that drove me to Christ, I had wanted to be right with God most of my life but had never been taught the right way.

I've known of some who had similar fear that helped bring them to Christ, but I've never known anyone who was afraid of war, nuclear weapons, or anything else that actually brought them to saving faith.

• Members

Isaiah 4:2–4 KJV
2 In that day shall the branch of the Lord be beautiful and glorious, and the fruit of the earth shall be excellent and comely for them that are escaped of Israel.
3 And it shall come to pass, that he that is left in Zion, and he that remaineth in Jerusalem, shall be called holy, even every one that is written among the living in Jerusalem:
4 When the Lord shall have washed away the filth of the daughters of Zion, and shall have purged the blood of Jerusalem from the midst thereof by the spirit of judgment, and
by the spirit of burning.

God will use nations to judge Israel with fire and God will call America from the other end of the earth to come to Israel and take away some of Israel to safety.

Isaiah 5:24-26, 29–30 KJV
24 Therefore as the fire devoureth the stubble, and the flame consumeth the chaff, so their root shall be as rottenness, and their blossom shall go up as dust: because they have cast away the law of the Lord of hosts, and despised the word of the Holy One of Israel.
25 Therefore is the anger of the Lord kindled against his people, and he hath stretched forth his hand against them, and hath smitten them: and the hills did tremble, and their carcases were torn in the midst of the streets. For all this his anger is not turned away, but his hand is stretched out still.
26 And he will lift up an ensign to the nations from far, and will hiss unto them from the end of the earth: and, behold, they shall come with speed swiftly:
29 Their roaring shall be like a lion, they shall roar like young lions: yea, they shall roar, and lay hold of the prey, and shall carry it away safe, and none shall deliver it.
30 And in that day they shall roar against them like the roaring of the sea: and if one look unto the land, behold darkness and sorrow, and the light is darkened in the heavens thereof.

It will happen in the sixth seal when the heavens are darkened over Israel.

Edited by Eric Stahl

• Members

In Isaiah 33:11 indicates it is man’s breath that burns the people as lime.

In Isaiah 26:11 the Lord says “the fire of thine enemies shall devour them.”

In Jeremiah 25:14-15,29-33 God sends out a cup of judgment that causes nations to send evil from nation to nation that will look like a great whirlwinds and kill people from one end of the earth to the other. Yes God is going to push the nuclear button and men will kill each other!

Isa 25:3-7

4 For thou hast been a strength to the poor, a strength to the needy in his distress, a refuge from the storm, a shadow from the heat, when the blast of the terrible ones is as a storm against the wall.
5 Thou shalt bring down the noise of strangers, as the heat in a dry place; even the heat with the shadow of a cloud: the branch of the terrible ones shall be brought low.
6 And in this mountain shall the Lord of hosts make unto all people a feast of fat things, a feast of wines on the lees, of fat things full of marrow, of wines on the lees well refined.
7 And he will destroy in this mountain the face of the covering cast over all people, and the vail that is spread over all nations. KJV

The blast with the hot cloud will burn the ozone layer and cause the sun to become 7 times brighter see
Isaiah 30:25-26

Eric,
I didn't have as much time yesterday to work on this as I thought. When I read the chapter in Isaiah, I thought it meant words coming from a man. But reading it over, I decided to put it to the commentaries and here is what I found about one verse which, you are using out of context.

Isaiah 33:11 Ye shall conceive chaff, ye shall bring forth stubble: your breath, as fire, shall devour you.
Isaiah 33:12 And the people shall be as the burnings of lime: as thorns cut up shall they be burned in the fire.

This has nothing to do with a prophecy of God destroying the earth or even God destroying Jerusalem. It has to do with God intervening to destroy an invader of Jerusalem.

Your short description of vs. 11 is inaccurate. You combined parts of two verses 11 and 12 which could have led anyone astray. The people that are burned of their own breath are not Jews or gentiles "from the islands." Reading every commentary I can find this speaks of Assyrian invaders (vs.1 “…Woe to thee that spoilest…”) being destroyed by God intervening for the Jews. The Assyrians wanted to sack Jerusalem and take all of the treasures they could.

I have a tenacity about me when I suspect a brother has used scripture out of context. Then, if I find one it encourages me more. I hope you have not published this work because you need to do a lot of editing. I see you're posting more scripture have you checked for context?

• Members
I to remember my Air Force days in SAC working on the engines of the B-52’s. We had several B-52’s setting on the alter pad, loaded down with weapons, many of them having a Hound Dog on each wing. It was an amazing thing when the buzzer went off. Crews running to their planes, starting their engines, at that point everyone in the area knew that was an alter, yet no one knew if it was real or not. Some of our airmen, it put a great fear in their heart, to think this might be the end.

Remember the "Failsafe" film. I understand that because Britain was nearer to Moscow, the US had planes continually taking off to bomb Russia, & waiting/hoping for a call to return rather than proceed.

In the film, the Russians jammed the communication, so the planes were not recalled ....

We were relieved when 1984 came & went without incident. The comedy team, the Goons, spoofed 1985 with the slogan: "It's good to be alive in 1985."

9/11 was a dreadful terrorist attack on the US, but how many American, Iraqi & Afghani - including Christian - lives have been lost to avenge those 3,000? And are we safer today? I suspect that if there really is the danger we are being warned about, from terrorists prepared to launch suicide attacks, then there would have been many more such attacks.

Meanwhile our governments are turning their back on the One who can change men's hearts & minds.

• Members

I agree that God uses both nations & people at times, but when this comes about.

2Pe 3:10 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.
2Pe 3:11 ¶ Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness,
2Pe 3:12 Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat?

When this is going, its not going to be of a nation, of of nations, of people, of one person, its going to be of God,

Plus, unless the Bible speaks of a nation directly by name about doing this or that, we should not either. America, the United States, is not used in the pages of the Bible, so we know its not refereed to, directly that is. Such teachings don't bother me, except when names are added that God did not use.

• Members

Remember the "Failsafe" film. I understand that because Britain was nearer to Moscow, the US had planes continually taking off to bomb Russia, & waiting/hoping for a call to return rather than proceed.

In the film, the Russians jammed the communication, so the planes were not recalled ....

We were relieved when 1984 came & went without incident. The comedy team, the Goons, spoofed 1985 with the slogan: "It's good to be alive in 1985."

9/11 was a dreadful terrorist attack on the US, but how many American, Iraqi & Afghani - including Christian - lives have been lost to avenge those 3,000? And are we safer today? I suspect that if there really is the danger we are being warned about, from terrorists prepared to launch suicide attacks, then there would have been many more such attacks.

Meanwhile our governments are turning their back on the One who can change men's hearts & minds.

I would have to humbly disagree with you, & this is the reason.

Our pilots knew, if it ever come to dropping the nuclear bombs on Russia, it would only be because nuclear bombs had been dropped on American. Plus, after having dropped the bombs they were carrying, the bombs may well take them out, or they might not have the fuel to return home, or they might not be no home to return to, or they would have family killed from the bombs dropped on America.

And yes, during those years we have bombers in the air 24 hours per day, 7 days per week, holidays included.

I recall well working on bombers that were due to take off on theses missions, also being called out to the runway because one was having an engine problem, that was to take off on such a mission.

There is information on the net about this, Chrome Dome. Just click on the link, some of it is fascinating reading.

• Members

Unfortunately, the attack on 9/11 was used to grab massive amounts of new and unconstitutional power in this country. It was also used as the launching pad for an unnecessary and unprofitable war in Iraq.

Other nations also took the opportunity to make similar moves. Governments telling their people they can't be free and safe so they were taking away our freedom and then declaring we are now safe.

Had America took out the terrorist supporting Taliban in Afghanistan and struck Al Quida there and then either left or kept a force ONLY in the area of Afghanistan where they still held some power, in order to finish them off or try to eliminate them, such would have been a reasonable response to 9/11.

Attempting to occupy much of Afghanistan, "build democracy", prop up the new "democracy" (which, if one reads their constitution, it's not democratic at all), expect troops to wage war, play police and try not to upset anyone, pulling multiple tours, all the while invading Iraq, which had absolutely nothing to do with 9/11, which was barely getting by due to sanctions imposed at the request of America, followed by occupying that country for a decade, all the while threatening possible war with Iran and Syria, was not reasonble nor in the best interests of America or her allies.

As you point out, all the while denying Christ. Our troops are told to hide any Christian symbols and keep their Christianity hidden so as not to offend the Muslims. In our home countries, efforts are continually underway to silence Christians, make Bible believing Christians out to be a threat, and make our countries secular.

Oh, and the country where most of the 9/11 terrorists came from, and Bin Laden himself came from, Saudi Arabia, we say nothing bad about, and even give them special status and benefits. Meanwhile, they fill mosques in our countries with radical Islamic literature and teaching materials along with large donations of money.

• Members

Col. 1:17- And he is before all things, and by him all things consist.

Apparently scientists can't explain what holds atoms together. The nucleus should be pushing itself apart. They'll say electromagnetism but that's usually the answer they give for everything that they can't figure out. Kind of how the doctor says it's your nerves when he doesn't know whats wrong with you. Well, in this case It is the hand of God that holds it all together and when he let his hand off there's gonna be one major nuclear explosion in the universe.

• Members

Eric,
I didn't have as much time yesterday to work on this as I thought. When I read the chapter in Isaiah, I thought it meant words coming from a man. But reading it over, I decided to put it to the commentaries and here is what I found about one verse which, you are using out of context.

Isaiah 33:11 Ye shall conceive chaff, ye shall bring forth stubble: your breath, as fire, shall devour you.
Isaiah 33:12 And the people shall be as the burnings of lime: as thorns cut up shall they be burned in the fire.

This has nothing to do with a prophecy of God destroying the earth or even God destroying Jerusalem. It has to do with God intervening to destroy an invader of Jerusalem.

Your short description of vs. 11 is inaccurate. You combined parts of two verses 11 and 12 which could have led anyone astray. The people that are burned of their own breath are not Jews or gentiles "from the islands." Reading every commentary I can find this speaks of Assyrian invaders (vs.1 “…Woe to thee that spoilest…”) being destroyed by God intervening for the Jews. The Assyrians wanted to sack Jerusalem and take all of the treasures they could.

I have a tenacity about me when I suspect a brother has used scripture out of context. Then, if I find one it encourages me more. I hope you have not published this work because you need to do a lot of editing. I see you're posting more scripture have you checked for context?

Yes it will be Assyria or modern Syria that cause Israel’s glory to be thin but Israel will blow Damascus away.

Isaiah 17:1–14 KJV 1 The burden of Damascus. Behold, Damascus is taken away from being
a city, and it shall be a ruinous heap.
2 The cities of Aroer are forsaken: they shall be for flocks, which shall lie down, and none shall make them afraid.
3 The fortress also shall cease from Ephraim, and the kingdom from Damascus, and the remnant of Syria: they shall be as the glory of the children of Israel, saith the Lord of hosts.
4 And in that day it shall come to pass, that the glory of Jacob shall be made thin, and the fatness of his flesh shall wax lean.
5 And it shall be as when the harvestman gathereth the corn, and reapeth the ears with his arm; and it shall be as he that gathereth ears in the valley of Rephaim.
6 Yet gleaning grapes shall be left in it, as the shaking of an olive tree, two or three berries in the top of the uppermost bough, four or five in the outmost fruitful branches thereof, saith the Lord God of Israel.
7 At that day shall a man look to his Maker, and his eyes shall have respect to the Holy One of Israel.
8 And he shall not look to the altars, the work of his hands, neither shall respect that which his fingers have made, either the groves, or the images.
9 In that day shall his strong cities be as a forsaken bough, and an uppermost branch, which they left because of the children of Israel: and there shall be desolation.

• Members

Yes it will be Assyria or modern Syria that cause Israel’s glory to be thin but Israel will blow Damascus away.

Isaiah 17:1–14 KJV 1 The burden of Damascus. Behold, Damascus is taken away from being
a city, and it shall be a ruinous heap.
2 The cities of Aroer are forsaken: they shall be for flocks, which shall lie down, and none shall make them afraid.
3 The fortress also shall cease from Ephraim, and the kingdom from Damascus, and the remnant of Syria: they shall be as the glory of the children of Israel, saith the Lord of hosts.
4 And in that day it shall come to pass, that the glory of Jacob shall be made thin, and the fatness of his flesh shall wax lean.
5 And it shall be as when the harvestman gathereth the corn, and reapeth the ears with his arm; and it shall be as he that gathereth ears in the valley of Rephaim.
6 Yet gleaning grapes shall be left in it, as the shaking of an olive tree, two or three berries in the top of the uppermost bough, four or five in the outmost fruitful branches thereof, saith the Lord God of Israel.
7 At that day shall a man look to his Maker, and his eyes shall have respect to the Holy One of Israel.
8 And he shall not look to the altars, the work of his hands, neither shall respect that which his fingers have made, either the groves, or the images.
9 In that day shall his strong cities be as a forsaken bough, and an uppermost branch, which they left because of the children of Israel: and there shall be desolation.

You insist on using scripture out of context, why? Should the desire to be right twist scripture?

• Members

Col. 1:17- And he is before all things, and by him all things consist.

Apparently scientists can't explain what holds atoms together. The nucleus should be pushing itself apart. They'll say electromagnetism but that's usually the answer they give for everything that they can't figure out. Kind of how the doctor says it's your nerves when he doesn't know whats wrong with you. Well, in this case It is the hand of God that holds it all together and when he let his hand off there's gonna be one major nuclear explosion in the universe.

Agreed!

God only has to speak.

Gen. 1:3 ¶ And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.

God created the world by His word.

God sustains the world by His word.

Hebrews 1:1 ¶ God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets,
2 Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;
3 Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high;

God only has to speak.

• Members

And just following 9-11, it was OK to mention God, praying for someone, without hearing any hate, but it did not take America long to get over that, & back to normal. So I feel safe to say, even with a huge disastrous event worse than 9-11 with many thousands or hundred of thousands of casualties, talk of God & prayer would be only welcome in the public for only a short time.

Of course if you happen to mention it might be from God's judgment, you would be publicly ridiculed even by many professing Christians.