• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Pumpkin Pie

• Administrators

Yes, pilgrim, you may use some types of squash in place of pumpkin. The larger variety of squash work better for that. I don't know the name of it, but the squash we've used in the past for pie is like a large crook neck. And I do mean large - not the small summer squash variety. You make it the same way as pumpkin.

The recipe I use is what the Libby company puts on the back of their can. It works and is very good.

3/4 c granulated sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground cloves
2 large eggs
15 oz pumpkin
1 can (12 oz) evaporated milk
9-inch deep-dish pie shell (not baked)
(whipped cream for garnish is optional...but very tasty!)

Mix sugar, cinnamon, salt, ginger and cloves in small bowl. Beat eggs in large bowl. Stir in pumpkin and dry mixture. Gradually stir in milk. (Usually what I do is mix the eggs, pumpkin and dry ingredients together well before I slowly add the milk - it seems to help it not clump)

Pour into pie shell.

Bake in a preheated 425 degree oven for 15 minutes. Reduce temp to 350 and bake for 40-50 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes clean.

It's important to remember to turn the oven down, or you might end up with burnt crust. Also, I always put a cookie sheet under the pie pan because it can swell a bit and overflow. You don't want to fill the pie shell to the brim for that reason (and a cookie sheet makes it easier to get into the oven without spilling.

Hope this helps.

• Members

Thanks Luanne for the recipe... I will still look for that type of squash.... or maybe I'll ask the people in the grocery to help me out! Too bad the American lady in my church is dead, I heard from our pastor's wife that lady makes good pumpkin pie and gives them out to church goers.