• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Spell checker

• Members

From another thread:

If I could post to the diversion, ie. spelling and grammar.

With many, with me as a prime example, they may not be a poor speller and grammatically ignorant, just poor typists.

When I was in school typing was coupled with home economics and no "self - respecting" red blooded American boy was taking home ec and typing!

Spell check doesn't catch homophones nor typographical errors that result in a legitimate word (such as "fine" instead of "find").

There was an article a few years ago, I think it was called, Believe it or not you can read this. It said as long as the first and last letter in each word was correct, it didn't matter of the order of the other letters, you could read it. Edited by Invicta

• Members

Yes, I've seen variations of things printed out with all sorts of odd spelling yet most could read them just fine.

On forums and such I try to spell correctly but I don't go overboard about it. It's not like we are writing term papers here so typos should be expected and accepted. There are also words some of us misspell from time to time but again, we are not writing term papers here.

Now, if someone were purposefully typing horribly all the time, that would be something to confront, but basic typos and errors in spelling is nothing to get worked up about unless one is a perfectionist or simply looking to assault the one who made a mistake.

• Members

Yes, I've seen variations of things printed out with all sorts of odd spelling yet most could read them just fine.

On forums and such I try to spell correctly but I don't go overboard about it. It's not like we are writing term papers here so typos should be expected and accepted. There are also words some of us misspell from time to time but again, we are not writing term papers here.

Now, if someone were purposefully typing horribly all the time, that would be something to confront, but basic typos and errors in spelling is nothing to get worked up about unless one is a perfectionist or simply looking to assault the one who made a mistake.

I agree John. If I make typos or notice a spelling mistake, I usually edit and correct it.

There is also the diference between English and American spelling. Saviour, Savior, Labour, Labor, etc. There is also Cancelled, Canceled.

I am not sure what the US rules on spelling such words as "practise" are, but in Enlish, they are:

Practise, verb, i.e. I practise medicine.
Practice, noun, i.e. I have a medical practice.

Advise, verb, i.e. I advise you.
Advice, noun, i.e. I offer you advice.

It took me a long time to get that right, I hope I have now, or someone will correct me.

• Members

Invicta, here it's also I practice medicine.

I'd like to advise you that I can't offer any advice. ^_^

I ain't got no problems wid dem spell'in faults lotts uh folks has wid dese new fangled tiping contrapsions. I's mo inter rested wid what deys thinking dan what deys fingers are a doing.

BTW, I've adopted the English version of Saviour.

• Members

Invicta, here it's also I practice medicine.

I'd like to advise you that I can't offer any advice. ^_^

I ain't got no problems wid dem spell'in faults lotts uh folks has wid dese new fangled tiping contrapsions. I's mo inter rested wid what deys thinking dan what deys fingers are a doing.

BTW, I've adopted the English version of Saviour.

Well that's all clear, I think.

But don't you have a driving license, while I have a driving licence?

They say we are two countries divided by a common language.

Then again there are the Australians.

• Members

And then if you're in Canada, we use half English spelling and half American. Just to be confusing! :lol:

I might fit in up there then! I catch myself doing that sometimes. I think it stems from reading the KJB and the writings of English pastors so much.

• Members

And then if you're in Canada, we use half English spelling and half American. Just to be confusing! :lol:

I have a Harrap's Visual French-English dictionary. ISBN 0 245-54596-4

It has pictures for each item and the English has English and American spellings and the French has French and Canadian spellings.

Edited to say, that the Canadian is never different spellings, it says, but different words and phrases.

The same goes for Belgian and Swiss French which have septante, octante and ninante (Not sure of the sp. instead of Soixante- dix, quatre vingt and quatre vingt dix. Edited by Invicta

• Members

That sounds interesting!

It was very useful when we had a house in France. I could take it into a store and show a picture of a dishwasher. for instance, and point to the pump and say. "I want one of those." Or similar for the parts of a car.

My wife is more or less fluent in French but was not conversant with names of tools etc. When I asked how I should do a particular job, I was told I needed a Scie Sauteuse. My wife didn't know what that was an translated it directly, "a saw that jumps up and down." I said "Oh a jig saw." Edited by Invicta

• Members

A Little Poem Regarding Computer Spell Checkers...

Eye halve a spelling chequer
It came with my pea sea
It plainly marques four my revue
Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.
Eye strike a key and type a word
And weight four it two say
Weather eye am wrong oar write
It shows me strait a weigh.
As soon as a mist ache is maid
It nose bee fore two long
And eye can put the error rite
Its rare lea ever wrong.
Eye have run this poem threw it
I am shore your pleased two no
Its letter perfect awl the weigh
My chequer tolled me sew.

• Members

It was very useful when we had a house in France. I could take it into a store and show a picture of a dishwasher. for instance, and point to the pump and say. "I want one of those." Or similar for the parts of a car.

My wife is more or less fluent in French but was not conversant with names of tools etc. When I asked how I should do a particular job, I was told I needed a Scie Sauteuse. My wife didn't know what that was an translated it directly, "a saw that jumps up and down." I said "Oh a jig saw."

That translation had me laughing!

• Members

Believe it or not, you can read this.

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn’t mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe . . . Amzanig huh! Psas It ON!