• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Revelation 20:5

• Members

"But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection." Revelation 20:5

Men of God, what is the meaning of this verse? Who are the "rest of the dead" and what does it mean here by "the first resurrection"?

• Members

"But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection." Revelation 20:5

Men of God, what is the meaning of this verse? Who are the "rest of the dead" and what does it mean here by "the first resurrection"?

It's the first resurrection IN THE CONTEXT of the events John is writing of at that time. Not the FIRST first resurrection.

Those who were slain for the testimony of Jesus Christ during the great tribulation will be raised before the millennium. Those who took the mark (the rest of the dead) will have to wait another thousand years for the Great White Throne Judgement.

• Members

Revelation 20:5 is referring to the redeemed saints from the great tribulation in Revelation 20:4 being part of the first resurrection. The rest of the dead who will not be redeemed at this point in time, will be redeemed at the great white throne Judgment and they have part in the resurrection to damnation. Edited by Eric Stahl

• Members

Revelation 2:5 is referring to the redeemed saints from the great tribulation in Revelation 20:4 being part of the first resurrection. The rest of the dead who will not be redeemed at this point in time, will be redeemed at the great white throne Judgment and they have part in the resurrection to damnation.

That "redemption at the great white throne" is not the redemption we experience - your redeemed suffer "the resurrection to damnation." Do you mean what you write???????

• Members

I believe the whole Bible, so hesitate to comment on a single verse without the context.
And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgme
nt
was given u
nt
o them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had n
ot
worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years.

But the rest of the dead lived n
ot
again u
nt
il the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection.

Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.

John saw the souls of the martyrs not resurrected bodies. The first resurrection protects against the second death. Those martyrs are therefore dead believers in heaven, living & reigning with Christ. Where do we read about such a resurrection of souls, not a bodily resurrection?
John 5:
Verily, verily, I say u
nt
o you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that se
nt
me, hath everlasting life, and shall n
ot
come i
nt
o condemnation; but is passed from death u
nt
o life.

Verily, verily, I say u
nt
o you, The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live.

Jesus is speaking of a spiritual resurrection, for when we believed, we passed from death (dead in trespasses & sins) to eternal life. Because we believe in Jesus, we shall not come into condemnation. We will not suffer the second death, aka the resurrection of damnation.

Is there any hint in the Gospels & epistles of the complex situation that the disps teach around Christ's return & after?

To answer the first part of your question, the rest of the dead are dead unbelievers, presently suffering in a hell for souls, who are awaiting a final resurrection of damnation.

• Members

In researching this I came across something that puts forth the idea that the resurrection spoken of here is of those who never had the opportunity to receive or reject Christ.

Anyone else ever heard of this?

It was explained this would be their first resurrection and that the other resurrections were for the saved and already damned.

• Members

I believe the whole Bible, so hesitate to comment on a single verse without the context.
And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgme
nt
was given u
nt
o them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had n
ot
worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years.

But the rest of the dead lived n
ot
again u
nt
il the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection.

Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.

John saw the souls of the martyrs not resurrected bodies. The first resurrection protects against the second death. Those martyrs are therefore dead believers in heaven, living & reigning with Christ. Where do we read about such a resurrection of souls, not a bodily resurrection?
John 5:
Verily, verily, I say u
nt
o you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that se
nt
me, hath everlasting life, and shall n
ot
come i
nt
o condemnation; but is passed from death u
nt
o life.

Verily, verily, I say u
nt
o you, The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live.

Jesus is speaking of a spiritual resurrection, for when we believed, we passed from death (dead in trespasses & sins) to eternal life. Because we believe in Jesus, we shall not come into condemnation. We will not suffer the second death, aka the resurrection of damnation.

Is there any hint in the Gospels & epistles of the complex situation that the disps teach around Christ's return & after?

To answer the first part of your question, the rest of the dead are dead unbelievers, presently suffering in a hell for souls, who are awaiting a final resurrection of damnation.

Yes their souls are resurrected from hell and their bodies are redeemed from the earth too.

• Members

No 2nd changes, after death.

Ro 1:20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

Of course while we humans live, we have many opportunities, yet after death, its settled forever.

• Members

No 2nd changes, after death.

Ro 1:20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

Of course while we humans live, we have many opportunities, yet after death, its settled forever.

And when Jesus returns and we meet him in the air.

• Members

In researching this I came across something that puts forth the idea that the resurrection spoken of here is of those who never had the opportunity to receive or reject Christ.

It was explained this would be their first resurrection and that the other resurrections were for the saved and already damned.

The passage is clear as day that those who are part of the first resurrection mentioned in Rev. 20:5 are those who paid the price for the testimony of Jesus Christ during the tribulation. There is no need to make it something that it isn't.

The "rest of the dead" have nothing to do with the first resurrection. If you read the verse alone without context it will sound like that the first resurrection involves the dead after the 1000 years. This is why you need to read the whole thing in context. Edited by Wilchbla

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderators

It'd be nice, but how would that work with "it is appointed unto man once to die, and then the judgement"?

Revelation 2:5 is referring to the redeemed saints from the great tribulation in Revelation 20:4 being part of the first resurrection. The rest of the dead who will not be redeemed at this point in time, will be redeemed at the great white throne Judgment and they have part in the resurrection to damnation.

"will be redeemed at the great white throne judgement"
Nobody will be redeemed at the great white throne judgement. I'm sure you made a mistake here...have another cup of coffee... :)