• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Who I am and what I am looking for...

• Members

Hello everyone,
I am actually not a IFB, I am a Christian from another Denomination but I came here to learn some more about Baptists because my girlfriend is a Baptist.
I hope that you can help me learn some more about Baptists. I will not try to evangelize or proselyte anyone. THank you for the opportunity.
One in Christ,
D

Hello everyone,
I am actually not a IFB, I am a Christian from another Denomination but I came here to learn some more about Baptists because my girlfriend is a Baptist.
I hope that you can help me learn some more about Baptists. I will not try to evangelize or proselyte anyone. THank you for the opportunity.
One in Christ,
D

Welcome aboard! I want to know more about you and your denom. Maybe your church web link? Thanks.

• Members

Thank you for the warm welcome! I don't mind talking about myself, but if I put the site of my Church here I fear that might give someone the temptation to "look for holes" in my denomination or put me into a box that prejudges me even before you get to know me. What would you like to know about me?

D

One in Christ,

Edited by dskysmine

• Members

Welcome.

Its nicer when everyone is honest & up front, them usually things work out quite well.

When they seem to withhold one can't help but wonder if their motive is sinister in nature Why I say that is we have had plenty of trolls come here through the years stating similar thoughts, when in reality they just wanted to cause trouble while using a soapbox to proclaim their false teachings.

I will give you an example. About 4 years back I went to a Roman Catholic Church, RCC, message board. In my 1st post under the topic "Welcome," & let us know something about you, I told them I was a pastor of a Baptist Church & I would like to ask a question or 2 & at least start one topic. That I did not come to ague the differences in our beliefs. They welcomed me warmly. And I did start one topic, & asked a few questions in 2 or 3 topics that were going. There never was a sharp word between us, they even asked me some questions about my belief, I answered them without them saying any cross words back to me.

• Members

It's difficult to know what you might want to learn about Baptists if we don't know what might be different between Baptists and your denomination.

Is it not possible to learn about Baptists without comparing them to other denominations/religions?
I want to know what Baptists believe. How they live a close relationship with Jesus and what kind of things they do that make them the true Church.

Welcome.

Its nicer when everyone is honest & up front, them usually things work out quite well.

When they seem to withhold one can't help but wonder if their motive is sinister in nature Why I say that is we have had plenty of trolls come here through the years stating similar thoughts, when in reality they just wanted to cause trouble while using a soapbox to proclaim their false teachings.

I will give you an example. About 4 years back I went to a Roman Catholic Church, RCC, message board. In my 1st post under the topic "Welcome," & let us know something about you, I told them I was a pastor of a Baptist Church & I would like to ask a question or 2 & at least start one topic. That I did not come to ague the differences in our beliefs. They welcomed me warmly. And I did start one topic, & asked a few questions in 2 or 3 topics that were going. There never was a sharp word between us, they even asked me some questions about my belief, I answered them without them saying any cross words back to me.

Being honest does not mean I should expose myself in order to get hurt or to let someone inside a very personal aspect of my life, which is my relationship with God. I already had several situations where I was open about my Faith and how I live It but I ended up being mocked, disrespected and hurt deeply, so please allow me to hold on to that while I get to know you a little better. I don't mean that I will never reveal it, just that I need to know if saying it will only create barriers/conflict.
As I said, I am available to present every other part of myself. I was honest with my reason to be here and I am anxious to learn.
One in Christ,
D

• Members

Our relationship with God should be far more than just personal, it should be something we willingly and openly share with others.

The point of knowing where you come from is as a foundation for discussion. Some denominations are similar to some Baptists while some are very different. How are we to know in what ways we may see something the same or different if you are unwilling to establish where you stand?

• Members

D, my background is denominationally varied. (Is denominationally even a word?) And even now there are people who wouldn't call me an "IFB" because I don't agree with their beliefs 100%. So, welcome, brother (if brother you be). Hope you enjoy the boards here.

Off the top of my head:
The main thing that sets Baptists apart from other Protestant denominations is that we believe in baptism by immersion after profession of salvation is made. (Salvation, of course, is only through grace and faith in Christ, and is made possible through His substitutionary death on the cross and resurrection from the dead.)

The main thing that sets independent Baptists apart from mainline denomination Baptists is that we have a stricter interpretation of the doctrine of separation from unbelievers and false teachers. But, even among independent Baptists, there are varying applications of this doctrine.

There are various "stripes" within IFB-dom. Perhaps you'll see that if you decide to hang around for a while.

Edited by Annie

• Members

There's many topic on this forum, & from them you can learn about us Baptist.

And here is a site with many articles that one can learn much from.

So just help yourself, you can learn very much.

Thank you very much! I started reading diligently. If I have questions about some of these subjects where can I ask in the Forum about these subjects?

Our relationship with God should be far more than just personal, it should be something we willingly and openly share with others.

The point of knowing where you come from is as a foundation for discussion. Some denominations are similar to some Baptists while some are very different. How are we to know in what ways we may see something the same or different if you are unwilling to establish where you stand?

What do you mean being a "foundation for discussion"?
I didn't come to the Forum to discuss if my denomination is better, the same or worse... I came to learn about Baptists, I didn't come for a "fight".

Welcome, D! Glad to have you with us.

Thank you for the warm welcome!

D, my background is denominationally varied. (Is denominationally even a word?) And even now there are people who wouldn't call me an "IFB" because I don't agree with their beliefs 100%. So, welcome, brother (if brother you be). Hope you enjoy the boards here.

Off the top of my head:
The main thing that sets Baptists apart from other Protestant denominations is that we believe in baptism by immersion after profession of salvation is made. (Salvation, of course, is only through grace and faith in Christ, and is made possible through His substitutionary death on the cross and resurrection from the dead.)

The main thing that sets independent Baptists apart from mainline denomination Baptists is that we have a stricter interpretation of the doctrine of separation from unbelievers and false teachers. But, even among independent Baptists, there are varying applications of this doctrine.

There are various "stripes" within IFB-dom. Perhaps you'll see that if you decide to hang around for a while.

Hello Annie,
Thank you for the information and for sharing some of your life. I will begin to read some of the articles Jimmy pointed me out and other things from the Forum and I hope that I can learn more in detail some of what you shared. By the way "denominationally" exists, it is simply not a common word.
A quick question though... what do you mean with "stripes of IFB-dom"? Should I create a new topic or can we talk in this topic?
One in Christ,
D

• Administrators

Hi, dsky. Welcome aboard. Glad to have you with us. If you have questions about what Baptists believe, we will be more than glad to answer them. "Reveal" your denomination at your leisure. It might be a good idea to begin a new topic with your questions. Titling a thread with the topic will draw attention to it.

• Members

<p> </p>
<div>Many denominations may seem similar to us Baptist, but if you really get down to it, &amp; study the Bible, &amp; see what many of them teach about salvation, you will see a major difference between them &amp; us. About 80% of the denominations in this world teaches works base salvation, most of us Baptist teach that one is save only by grace though faith in Jesus, not of works, not of self, it is a gift from God.</div>
<div> </div>
<div> </div>

• Members

Thank you very much! I started reading diligently. If I have questions about some of these subjects where can I ask in the Forum about these subjects?

What do you mean being a "foundation for discussion"?
I didn't come to the Forum to discuss if my denomination is better, the same or worse... I came to learn about Baptists, I didn't come for a "fight".

Thank you for the warm welcome!

Hello Annie,
Thank you for the information and for sharing some of your life. I will begin to read some of the articles Jimmy pointed me out and other things from the Forum and I hope that I can learn more in detail some of what you shared. By the way "denominationally" exists, it is simply not a common word.
A quick question though... what do you mean with "stripes of IFB-dom"? Should I create a new topic or can we talk in this topic?
One in Christ,
D

All I mean is that since "independent Baptist" is not a denomination, there's not one specific "creed" that all independent Baptists follow. And, although each local church is autonomous, they tend to fall into certain groups, many times depending on which universities their pastors attended.

One "stripe" of independent Baptists could be described this way (and before a raging debate begins, I should say that no, I don't have any particular person/people on this board in mind as I write this description...it's more of a stereotype of the "Hyles" mentality). There is a "stripe" of independent Baptist which believe the following things:
--that the only "inspired Word of God" is the King James Version of the Bible
--that women should not wear pants
--that no Christian should ever attend a movie theater
--that a black person should not marry a white person

My particular stripe of IB doesn't believe any of those things. And there are many variations in between the extreme ends of the IB spectrum.

• Members

Annie, I don't believe your post was anyway pointed towards my last post, being as the only thing I brought up was salvation. But I want you to be assured when I made that post the only thing in my mind was salvation.

To be honest I believe you will find many that holds those beliefs you stated in many different Baptist Churches.

I'm only going to address one of the 4 you mentioned, being as it might be a bit off topic. At one time we had a elderly lady, that has since passed on that believed that blacks should be slaves. I disagree with her on this issue 100%, & I know that I brought it out in at least 2 different sermons, & one sermon was on that subject. I always tried as best I could to respect what she believed as I try to do with all people, & she took it good naturally that I disagreed with her & showed the utmost respect for what I believed about this.

She was one that I could disagree with me that never got mad, nor ever tried to get back at me. We had about 3 things we completely were at odds on, but we were always peaceful with one another & being respectful about it. I might add she was the only one in this church that felt that way.

When I found out the way she believed about this it took me by surprised, for in our question & answer service prior to being called to be their pastor one member asked me what would my reaction be if a black person or family attended our church & wanted to become a member. My answer was, the same if their were white, & it was her daughter that asked me this question.