• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Take the turkey quiz

• Members

Did you know that the modern turkey as we know it cannot reproduce itself? They have been bred over the decades to grow fat and lazy, making it easy for mass producers. A result is that they cannot have turkey sex. That's right....someone's job is to artificially inseminate every turkey produced for supermarket shelves.

A small handful of farmers raise heritage turkeys....natural turkeys that can reproduce naturally. I really want one for my Thanksgiving table, but they are quite pricey.

• Administrators
Did you know that the modern turkey as we know it cannot reproduce itself? They have been bred over the decades to grow fat and lazy, making it easy for mass producers. A result is that they cannot have turkey sex. That's right....someone's job is to artificially inseminate every turkey produced for supermarket shelves.

A small handful of farmers raise heritage turkeys....natural turkeys that can reproduce naturally. I really want one for my Thanksgiving table, but they are quite pricey.

Wow - no, I didn't know that. My folks always get an organic one - don't know if that's the same thing.

• Members

Wow - no, I didn't know that. My folks always get an organic one - don't know if that's the same thing.

I get an organic one too....no, they are not the same thing, though heritage turkeys are usually organic and free-range.

"regular" mass produced turkeys can be organic.

Heritage turkeys are breeds such as "bourbon red," apparently one of the best tasting birds. I really want one, but they are very expensive, unless you live close to and know a turkey farmer who raises them.

• Administrators

I get an organic one too....no, they are not the same thing, though heritage turkeys are usually organic and free-range.

"regular" mass produced turkeys can be organic.

Heritage turkeys are breeds such as "bourbon red," apparently one of the best tasting birds. I really want one, but they are very expensive, unless you live close to and know a turkey farmer who raises them.

I'll have to ask my folks if theirs is a heritage. They really like the difference in the flavor of what they get.

• Members

I'll have to ask my folks if theirs is a heritage. They really like the difference in the flavor of what they get.

Think of heritage turkeys as you would heirloom tomatos. These turkeys are passed down from generation to generation and preserved by the farmers that raise them. They are well adapted to their environment, and are supposed to taste outstanding.

Tomatos that are not heirloom tomatos have been bred for mass production, and the producers value certain qualities like shelf life and thick skin for transporting. Heirloom tomatos are much tastier. The same with a heritage turkey...they are not bred for mass production....rather their lines are well preserved and protected....thus they can reproduce naturally. Mass produced turkeys are bred to withstand the harsh conditions of commercial feedlots.

I do not know how you breed out the ability of an animal to mate, but somehow they have.

• Administrators

Think of heritage turkeys as you would heirloom tomatos. These turkeys are passed down from generation to generation and preserved by the farmers that raise them. They are well adapted to their environment, and are supposed to taste outstanding.

Tomatos that are not heirloom tomatos have been bred for mass production, and the producers value certain qualities like shelf life and thick skin for transporting. Heirloom tomatos are much tastier. The same with a heritage turkey...they are not bred for mass production....rather their lines are well preserved and protected....thus they can reproduce naturally. Mass produced turkeys are bred to withstand the harsh conditions of commercial feedlots.

I do not know how you breed out the ability of an animal to mate, but somehow they have.

It still amazes me (in a kind of grossed out way! :lol: ). Yeah, my dad loves to plant heritage seeds - so he can save them from year to year.

• Members

I got 16.

But I know where the most Turkeys can usually be found. Answer: Washington DC

I'll let y'all grade me on that answer.

Wild turkeys sure are pretty, we have many of them around this part of the country.

And back in the late 50's and thru the 60's we had many open range turkey farms around here. I caught turkeys off of the open range one night, that is one tough job.