• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Ezekiel 40 - 48

• Members

In Haggai 2:3 Haggai asks the Jews that saw the first temple if the rebuilt temple was as nothing in their eyes. Therfore the second temple had been built and the promise of a better temple to come was of the kingdom age temple.

Isaiah 60:13, 19-20 tells us that the supplies that the Gentiles bring will be for the Lord's sanctuary or temple when Jesus is the light over Israel.

Herod's temple was the third temple. It wasn't completed in Christ's time. It was only completed during the reign of nero, shortly before it was destroyed.

• Members

I can understand why Orthodox Jews would want to rebuild the temple and resume animals sacrifices. They have rejected Jesus as the Christ, believe they are still under the Old Testament and still awaiting the Christ. They are walking in sin.

What I can't understand is why would God want the temple rebuilt and animal sacrifices resumed? God has declared Jesus the Christ has paid for sins once and for all. Jesus is the perfect high priest who only had to offer His sacrifice once, unlike the priests of old. After the saving work of Christ there is no need for a temple because each believer is the temple of the Holy Ghost. In the New Heaven and New Earth there is no need for a temple because God will reside with His people.

I don't know why God wants a temple on earth. Revelation 21:22 indicates that there will be no temple in the New Jerusalem because the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb are the temple of it.

• Members

I think there's a fifth interpretation which would be the historical application in that it was already fulfilled when the temple was rebuilt by Zerubbabel. This may be a stretch though.

If anything I would say it has to do with a future temple in Jerusalem.

• Members

I don't know why God wants a temple on earth. Revelation 21:22 indicates that there will be no temple in the New Jerusalem because the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb are the temple of it.

The New Jersualem won't be on earth. It will be above the earth and apparently will replace the sun. Also, the New Jerusalem will be strictly the abode of the bride of the Lamb (i.e. the church). There will still be people (Jews and Gentiles) and a Jerusalem on earth.

• Members

Herod's temple was the third temple. It wasn't completed in Christ's time. It was only completed during the reign of nero, shortly before it was destroyed.

Herod's temple was not the third temple. It was a renovation of the second. The temple would have to be completely destroyed to be a third one.