• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Ezekiel 40 - 48

• Members

Okay, we've finished our overview of Ezekiel in Sunday school and I'm wrapping up my personal study in Ezekiel. There were not that many comments upon Ezekiel 38 & 39, but I do appreciate what was put forth there.

As I am understanding it, there are basically 4 main interpretations of these chapters.

1. There will one day be a literal temple rebuilt and there will sacrifices offered. Any sacrifices offered pre-mil will be done by Jews who reject Jesus and are still looking for the Messiah. Any sacrifices during a future mil will be in remembrance, similar to how the Lord's Supper is today.

2. This is all just a metaphor of God presence being with us today.

3. Some say this is symbolic, not literal, pointing to God's presence among His people in the New Heaven and New Earth.

4. Then there are those who try to combine the literal and symbolic views, claiming that it describes future events Ezekiel couldn't express with his understanding of his time.

Those are very brief sketches of what I've come across in my studies. Hopefully, if anyone holds to any of these they will recognize it and can elaborate upon it.

If there is some other view, I would be interested in considering that as well.

What is the view you hold to? Is that view firmly settled in your mind as you being absolutely certain that's the way it is (or will be), if so what settled it for you; or do you simply lean towards a view but are still open, or have you not come to any conclusion yet?

Thank you for your help in my wrap up of this study.

• Members

Okay, we've finished our overview of Ezekiel in Sunday school and I'm wrapping up my personal study in Ezekiel. There were not that many comments upon Ezekiel 38 & 39, but I do appreciate what was put forth there.

As I am understanding it, there are basically 4 main interpretations of these chapters.

1. There will one day be a literal temple rebuilt and there will sacrifices offered. Any sacrifices offered pre-mil will be done by Jews who reject Jesus and are still looking for the Messiah. Any sacrifices during a future mil will be in remembrance, similar to how the Lord's Supper is today.

2. This is all just a metaphor of God presence being with us today.

3. Some say this is symbolic, not literal, pointing to God's presence among His people in the New Heaven and New Earth.

4. Then there are those who try to combine the literal and symbolic views, claiming that it describes future events Ezekiel couldn't express with his understanding of his time.

Those are very brief sketches of what I've come across in my studies. Hopefully, if anyone holds to any of these they will recognize it and can elaborate upon it.

If there is some other view, I would be interested in considering that as well.

What is the view you hold to? Is that view firmly settled in your mind as you being absolutely certain that's the way it is (or will be), if so what settled it for you; or do you simply lean towards a view but are still open, or have you not come to any conclusion yet?

Thank you for your help in my wrap up of this study.

Read Haggai 2:1-9 It tells us that the temple in the kingdom of Jesus will be more glorious then the former temple.

Isaiah 60:3–17 KJV
10 And the sons of strangers shall build up thy walls, and their kings shall minister unto thee: for in my wrath I smote thee, but in my favour have I had mercy on thee.
11 Therefore thy gates shall be open continually; they shall not be shut day nor night; that men may bring unto thee the forces of the Gentiles, and that their kings may be brought.
12 For the nation and kingdom that will not serve thee shall perish; yea, those nations shall be utterly wasted.
13 The glory of Lebanon shall come unto thee, the fir tree, the pine tree, and the box together, to beautify the place of my sanctuary; and I will make the place of my feet glorious.
14 The sons also of them that afflicted thee shall come bending unto thee; and all they that despised thee shall bow themselves down at the soles of thy feet; and they shall call thee, The city of the Lord, The Zion of the Holy One of Israel.
15 Whereas thou hast been forsaken and hated, so that no man went through thee, I will make thee an eternal excellency, a joy of many generations.
16 Thou shalt also suck the milk of the Gentiles, and shalt suck the breast of kings: and thou shalt know that I the Lord am thy Saviour and thy Redeemer, the mighty One of Jacob.
17 For brass I will bring gold, and for iron I will bring silver, and for wood brass, and for stones iron: I will also make thy officers peace, and thine exactors righteousness.

Verse 17 seems to indicate that when the temple is rebuilt there will be an upgrade in materials! Edited by Eric Stahl

• Members

Read Haggai 2:1-9 It tells us that the temple in the kingdom of Jesus will be more glorious then the former temple.

Isaiah 60:3–17 KJV
10 And the sons of strangers shall build up thy walls, and their kings shall minister unto thee: for in my wrath I smote thee, but in my favour have I had mercy on thee.
11 Therefore thy gates shall be open continually; they shall not be shut day nor night; that men may bring unto thee the forces of the Gentiles, and that their kings may be brought.
12 For the nation and kingdom that will not serve thee shall perish; yea, those nations shall be utterly wasted.
13 The glory of Lebanon shall come unto thee, the fir tree, the pine tree, and the box together, to beautify the place of my sanctuary; and I will make the place of my feet glorious.
14 The sons also of them that afflicted thee shall come bending unto thee; and all they that despised thee shall bow themselves down at the soles of thy feet; and they shall call thee, The city of the Lord, The Zion of the Holy One of Israel.
15 Whereas thou hast been forsaken and hated, so that no man went through thee, I will make thee an eternal excellency, a joy of many generations.
16 Thou shalt also suck the milk of the Gentiles, and shalt suck the breast of kings: and thou shalt know that I the Lord am thy Saviour and thy Redeemer, the mighty One of Jacob.
17 For brass I will bring gold, and for iron I will bring silver, and for wood brass, and for stones iron: I will also make thy officers peace, and thine exactors righteousness.

Verse 17 seems to indicate that when the temple is rebuilt there will be an upgrade in materials!

Are both these passages referring to the same thing as in Ezekiel? Haggai may be, I'll have to check more on that. Is this Isaiah passage speaking of this or of the rebuilding of the temple after captivity?

• Members

I wrote in the other thread on Ezekiel 38-9:

The last chapters of Ezekiel must be some of the most challenging in all prophetic Scripture. They need interpreting, & even I cannot give a literal reading as is straightforward with Daniel 9.

Obviously the temple, complete with sacrifices & offerings for sin, cannot be future. That is a blasphemous doctrine against our Lord Jesus Christ & his FINISHED work of redemption. The new covenant temple comprises all believers, & is built with living stones.

The various prophecies of a future temple must be seen in the light of Jesus' & his Apostles' teaching. The true temple is the church, built with believers - living stones.

The Tabernacle was built according to a heavenly pattern as a sign of God's presence among the people.
Exo. 25:
And let them make me a sanctuary; that I may dwell among them.

According to all that I shew thee, after the pattern of the tabernacle, and the pattern of all the instrume
nt
s thereof, even so shall ye make it.

Heb. 8:
Now of the things which we have spoken this is the sum: We have such an high priest, who is set on the right hand of the throne of the Majesty in the heavens;

A minister of the sanctuary, and of the true tabernacle, which the Lord pitched, and n
ot
man.

For every high priest is ordained to offer gifts and sacrifices: wherefore it is of necessity that this man have somewhat also to offer.

For if he were on earth, he should n
ot
be a priest, seeing that there are priests that offer gifts according to the law:

Who serve u
nt
o the example and shadow of heavenly things, as Moses was admonished of God when he was about to make the tabernacle: for, See, saith he, that thou make all things according to the pattern shewed to thee in the mou
nt

The tabernacle/temple was a temporary arrangement. Solomon, Isaiah & Stephen recognised that, but the Jewish leaders did not. Jesus carefully explained that temple worship was ending.
2 Chron. 6:
But will God in very deed dwell with men on the earth? behold, heaven and the heaven of heavens cann
ot
co
nt
ain thee; how much less this house which I have built!

Isaiah 66
Thus saith the LORD, The heaven is my throne, and the earth is my fo
ot
stool: where is the house that ye build u
nt
o me? and where is the place of my rest?

For all those things hath mine hand made, and all those things have been, saith the LORD: but to this man will I look, even to him that is poor and of a co
nt
rite spirit, and trembleth at my word.

John 4:
Jesus saith u
nt
o her, Woman, believe me, the hour cometh, when ye shall neither in this mou
nt
ain, nor yet at Jerusalem, worship the Father.

Ye worship ye know n
ot
what: we know what we worship: for salvation is of the Jews.

But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him.

God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

Acts 7:
Who found favour before God, and desired to find a tabernacle for the God of Jac
ob

But Solomon built him an house.

Howbeit the most High dwelleth n
ot
in temples made with hands; as saith the prophet,

Heaven is my throne, and earth is my fo
ot
stool: what house will ye build me? saith the Lord: or what is the place of my rest?

Hath n
ot
my hand made all these things?

Ye stiffnecked and uncircumcised in heart and ears, ye do always resist the Holy Ghost: as your fathers did, so do ye.

• Members

I wrote in the other thread on Ezekiel 38-9:

The various prophecies of a future temple must be seen in the light of Jesus' & his Apostles' teaching. The true temple is the church, built with believers - living stones.

The Tabernacle was built according to a heavenly pattern as a sign of God's presence among the people.
Exo. 25:
And let them make me a sanctuary; that I may dwell among them.

According to all that I shew thee, after the pattern of the tabernacle, and the pattern of all the instrume
nt
s thereof, even so shall ye make it.

Heb. 8:
Now of the things which we have spoken this is the sum: We have such an high priest, who is set on the right hand of the throne of the Majesty in the heavens;

A minister of the sanctuary, and of the true tabernacle, which the Lord pitched, and n
ot
man.

For every high priest is ordained to offer gifts and sacrifices: wherefore it is of necessity that this man have somewhat also to offer.

For if he were on earth, he should n
ot
be a priest, seeing that there are priests that offer gifts according to the law:

Who serve u
nt
o the example and shadow of heavenly things, as Moses was admonished of God when he was about to make the tabernacle: for, See, saith he, that thou make all things according to the pattern shewed to thee in the mou
nt

The tabernacle/temple was a temporary arrangement. Solomon, Isaiah & Stephen recognised that, but the Jewish leaders did not. Jesus carefully explained that temple worship was ending.
2 Chron. 6:
But will God in very deed dwell with men on the earth? behold, heaven and the heaven of heavens cann
ot
co
nt
ain thee; how much less this house which I have built!

Isaiah 66
Thus saith the LORD, The heaven is my throne, and the earth is my fo
ot
stool: where is the house that ye build u
nt
o me? and where is the place of my rest?

For all those things hath mine hand made, and all those things have been, saith the LORD: but to this man will I look, even to him that is poor and of a co
nt
rite spirit, and trembleth at my word.

John 4:
Jesus saith u
nt
o her, Woman, believe me, the hour cometh, when ye shall neither in this mou
nt
ain, nor yet at Jerusalem, worship the Father.

Ye worship ye know n
ot
what: we know what we worship: for salvation is of the Jews.

But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him.

God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

Acts 7:
Who found favour before God, and desired to find a tabernacle for the God of Jac
ob

But Solomon built him an house.

Howbeit the most High dwelleth n
ot
in temples made with hands; as saith the prophet,

Heaven is my throne, and earth is my fo
ot
stool: what house will ye build me? saith the Lord: or what is the place of my rest?

Hath n
ot
my hand made all these things?

Ye stiffnecked and uncircumcised in heart and ears, ye do always resist the Holy Ghost: as your fathers did, so do ye.

In the kingdom age the Jews will be priest for the Gentiles and the Gentiles will serve Israel. Yes there will be sin offerings in the kingdom age temple because the children of the tribulation survivors will be born with sin natures. Remember, at the end of the 1000 years the devil is loosed to go out and tempt mankind to revolt against Jesus. The army of revolters will be as the sand of the sea Revelation 20:7-8. Edited by Eric Stahl

• Members

In the kingdom age the Jews will be priest for the Gentiles and the Gentiles will serve Israel. Yes there will be sin offerings in the kingdom age temple because the children of the tribulation survivors will be born with sin natures. Remember, at the end of the 1000 years the devil is loosed to go out and tempt mankind to revolt against Jesus. The army of revolters will be as the sand of the sea Revelation 20:7-8.

What are the raptured saints doing during that time?

Where will these sin offerings be offered? Why are sin offerings needed rather than repentance and faith in Christ?

• Members

What are the raptured saints doing during that time?

Where will these sin offerings be offered? Why are sin offerings needed rather than repentance and faith in Christ?

John, that is a false teaching for:
Heb 10:10 By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all. Edited by Invicta

• Members

John, that is a false teaching for:
Heb 10:10 By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.

Ezekiel 44:27-29 There will be sin offerings in the rebuilt kingdom age temple because there will be sin. Why is it done this way? Because God said to do it that way.

• Members
Ezekiel 44:27-29 There will be sin offerings in the rebuilt kingdom age temple because there will be sin. Why is it done this way? Because God said to do it that way.

That vindicates what I have been maintaining - your future millennium is no different from the present age - & is a reversion to the old covenant system. Read your NT - new covenant Scriptures - & see that the true temple is built with believers - living stones.

• Members

That vindicates what I have been maintaining - your future millennium is no different from the present age - & is a reversion to the old covenant system. Read your NT - new covenant Scriptures - & see that the true temple is built with believers - living stones.

It seems to be a reversion to the Old Testament form of worship that Israel never did correctly in the world. They never reached the Gentiles as they were to do. I don't know of any scripture that indicates that millennial saints will have the Holy Spirit in them as the church age believers do. Isaiah 65:20 indicates that a child born in the millennium will reach the age of accountability at the age of 100. Isaiah 66:20-22 indicates that God will take priests and Levites from among the Jews and they will serve before the Lord as the Gentiles come and worship the Lord.

• Members

It seems to be a reversion to the Old Testament form of worship that Israel never did correctly in the world. They never reached the Gentiles as they were to do. I don't know of any scripture that indicates that millennial saints will have the Holy Spirit in them as the church age believers do. Isaiah 65:20 indicates that a child born in the millennium will reach the age of accountability at the age of 100. Isaiah 66:20-22 indicates that God will take priests and Levites from among the Jews and they will serve before the Lord as the Gentiles come and worship the Lord.

Are there any NT Scriptures where Jesus & the Apostles teach a future temple with animal sacrifices?

• Members

Are both these passages referring to the same thing as in Ezekiel? Haggai may be, I'll have to check more on that. Is this Isaiah passage speaking of this or of the rebuilding of the temple after captivity?

In Haggai 2:3 Haggai asks the Jews that saw the first temple if the rebuilt temple was as nothing in their eyes. Therfore the second temple had been built and the promise of a better temple to come was of the kingdom age temple.

Isaiah 60:13, 19-20 tells us that the supplies that the Gentiles bring will be for the Lord's sanctuary or temple when Jesus is the light over Israel.

• Members

I can understand why Orthodox Jews would want to rebuild the temple and resume animals sacrifices. They have rejected Jesus as the Christ, believe they are still under the Old Testament and still awaiting the Christ. They are walking in sin.

What I can't understand is why would God want the temple rebuilt and animal sacrifices resumed? God has declared Jesus the Christ has paid for sins once and for all. Jesus is the perfect high priest who only had to offer His sacrifice once, unlike the priests of old. After the saving work of Christ there is no need for a temple because each believer is the temple of the Holy Ghost. In the New Heaven and New Earth there is no need for a temple because God will reside with His people.