• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

THE "SEVEN DISPENSATIONS" VIEWED IN THE LIGHT OF SCRIPTURE

• Members
They all copy from each other and none of the modern day teachers (like MacArthur, Jeremiah, etc.) have anything of value to add that Larkin didn't cover in is book "Dispensational Truth."

That's a very important point - how many witnesses are there if they all copy each other ?????

• Members

The problem with those books is that they are written with a disp paradigm, so cannot help with rightly dividing.

In the various threads I have challenged the disp paradigm from the Word only. The great error they all make is the refusal to understand the OT Scriptures by the NT. You CANNOT develop dispensationalism if you give priority to the teaching of Jesus & the Apostles.

The OP said that dispensationalists use the word "dispensation" in a way that is not used in scipture, if you can remember that. The discussion on tithes should be continued on the "Robbing God" thread. Edited by Invicta

• Members

The problem with those books is that they are written with a disp paradigm, so cannot help with rightly dividing.

In the various threads I have challenged the disp paradigm from the Word only. The great error they all make is the refusal to understand the OT Scriptures by the NT. You CANNOT develop dispensationalism if you give priority to the teaching of Jesus & the Apostles.

The question that your view raises is this: Are the teachings of Jesus Christ directed at us?
And the answer must be a resounding "NO!"
Mt 10:5 ¶ These twelve Jesus sent forth, and commanded them, saying, Go not into the way of the Gentiles, and into any city of the Samaritans enter ye not:
Mt 10:6 But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

Therefore, the vast majority of Christ's teachings during his ministry are directed at ISRAEL. He specifically neglects the Gentile.

Hey, wait....I am a Gentile.....now what?

Well, obviously, something changed somewhere!

When we study many of the OT quotations found in the NT, some of them are direct fulfillments of prophecy. These are mainly in Matthew.
Then Paul shows that the OT sacrifices are done away with in Hebrews.
But man-oh-man - Paul is sometimes very loose and free with his use of the OT Scriptures, sometimes yanking a phrase out of a verse to prove a point....and pulling it out of context at that!

Heb 2:12 Saying, I will declare thy name unto my brethren, in the midst of the church will I sing praise unto thee.
Heb 2:13 And again, I will put my trust in him. And again, Behold I and the children which God hath given me.

Here is 3 quotations - all out of context - all only partial verses - and all to prove a point that none of these verse make in the OT....
There are many others similar to this....just a small sampling.

So, apparently there is a little bit more to it than you are suggesting, Ian.

In Christ,

• Members

Well, I believe scripture, and if Paul is quoting a verse, or part of a verse, it is in context.

I am curious to see where Steve is leading with this, and Invicta, if you study the writings of Paul you will notice that he is not adverse to resorting to cunning to get a point across to some dimwitted followers of his time.

• Members

Invicta, are you implying that I do not believe Scripture?

Here is another example:
1 Corinthians 9:9 For it is written in the law of Moses, Thou shalt not muzzle the mouth of the ox that treadeth out the corn. Doth God take care for oxen?

According to you, the context of the OT verse is the provision for a gospel preacher?
I don't think so. He is making an application from a principle.

All I am attempting to show here is that Ian's theory just won't work the way he wants it to. He says that we understand the OT based upon the way the NT writers quote it. The problem is that the NT writers were not opposed to making application from a verse taken out of context. Ian's theory leaves much to be desired.

Edited by Steve Schwenke

• Members

Mt 10:5 ¶ These twelve Jesus sent forth, and commanded them, saying, Go not into the way of the Gentiles, and into any city of the Samaritans enter ye not:

Therefore, the vast majority of Christ's teachings during his ministry are directed at ISRAEL. He specifically neglects the Gentile.

That is what I have continually said, Christ confirmed the covenant with the Jews, Dan 9:27 and Ro 15:8 Now I say that Jesus Christ was a minister of the circumcision for the truth of God, to confirm the promises made unto the fathers:

But that doesn't mnean that the salvation of the gentiles was not in God's eternal plan.

• Members

Invicta, are you implying that I do not believe Scripture?

Here is another example:
1 Corinthians 9:9 For it is written in the law of Moses, Thou shalt not muzzle the mouth of the ox that treadeth out the corn. Doth God take care for oxen?

According to you, the context of the OT verse is the provision for a gospel preacher?
I don't think so. He is making an application from a principle.

Searching for such applications is not a valid way of proving dispensational theology, nor of discrediting the principle of understanding the OT by the NT.

All I am attempting to show here is that Ian's theory just won't work the way he wants it to. He says that we understand the OT based upon the way the NT writers quote it. The problem is that the NT writers were not opposed to making application from a verse taken out of context. Ian's theory leaves much to be desired.

You will have to be more specific. You make remarks like that, but you do not challenge my teaching from Scripture. I am always very careful to quote Scripture to prove what I assert.

• Members

The question that your view raises is this: Are the teachings of Jesus Christ directed at us?
And the answer must be a resounding "NO!"

Well, obviously, something changed somewhere!

When we study many of the OT quotations found in the NT, some of them are direct fulfillments of prophecy. These are mainly in Matthew.
Then Paul shows that the OT sacrifices are done away with in Hebrews.
But man-oh-man - Paul is sometimes very loose and free with his use of the OT Scriptures, sometimes yanking a phrase out of a verse to prove a point....and pulling it out of context at that!

Heb 2:12 Saying, I will declare thy name unto my brethren, in the midst of the church will I sing praise unto thee.
Heb 2:13 And again, I will put my trust in him. And again, Behold I and the children which God hath given me.

Here is 3 quotations - all out of context - all only partial verses - and all to prove a point that none of these verse make in the OT....
There are many others similar to this....just a small sampling.

So, apparently there is a little bit more to it than you are suggesting, Ian.

In Christ,

Those verses show that Christ is there in OT prophecy, explicitly in Psalm 22 & implicitly in Isaiah 8. You need to find verses in the NT that prove the disp paradigm, not verses that have nothing to to with disp theory.