• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

THE "SEVEN DISPENSATIONS" VIEWED IN THE LIGHT OF SCRIPTURE

• Members

Have read your post brother, and I still believe that I interpreted it right, and i do not feel that it is "petty" to ask another to use the correct Word of God. I missed the point in those interpretations. I am sorry if it offends you, but I will remain a non dispensationalist as I believe we are expected to be. man came up with these different dispensation, perhaps too much study has made them mad!

Not offended - making a point - You will note I used KJV highlighted in red. And if too much study has made me mad, than rather mad for God than dumb for the world. Many an prophet (John the baptist), Messiah (Jesus), Apostles, and true believers have been called mad in the eyes of the world - count myself blessed if I'm tarred with the same brush.

• Members

I have heard them say we should tithe and also add offerings on top of that as the OT mentions 'tithes and offerings.'

Someone has to get hi s digs in about tithing. Perhaps they are looking for an excuse NOT to give what God exacted from the Jews, even though more ought to be expected for those who are in Christ!
(Post interrupted)

• Members

Not offended - making a point - You will note I used KJV highlighted in red. And if too much study has made me mad, than rather mad for God than dumb for the world. Many an prophet (John the baptist), Messiah (Jesus), Apostles, and true believers have been called mad in the eyes of the world - count myself blessed if I'm tarred with the same brush.

I was not singling you out, just making a point that some curiosities seek out so much that they get tangled up in the search.

I continually hear dispensational preachers use rules, laws, and promises specifically to OT Jews in order to try and convince their congregation they must tithe. They preach people must tithe or they will suffer the curses God spoke about to the Jews. Then they preach that if the people do tithe in accord with the Jewish law then God will reward them according to His promises to the Jews.

That's hardly a testimony for dispensationalism rightly dividing promises and differences between OT Jews and NT Christians.

Where do you hear this continually?

• Members
I once heard a story that someone had entered the pearly gates, and was being shown around, he was shown the various groups . These are the Anglicans, these the methodists, these the Baptists, these the Pentecostals, etc. At last he was show a manhole and when it was lifted there was another group there. "Who are these?" he asked. The answer was "Shh! They are the Brethren, they think they are the only ones here." I understand that there was a similar story about the Strict Baptists.

Back on topic .... 2In my Father's house are many mansions:
every one with a different door - amil - preterist - premil - pretrib - postmil - - - - - - etc so we can select our mansion. The trouble is,

all the doors open into a grand hall where the throne of God & the Lamb is central, so we no longer see ourselves.

• Members

Where do you hear this continually?

In churches I've visited, on the radio and on TV; not to mention books and articles I've read.

Very few seem to actually teach what Scripture has to say with regards to New Testament giving.

• Members

In churches I've visited, on the radio and on TV; not to mention books and articles I've read.

Very few seem to actually teach what Scripture has to say with regards to New Testament giving.

My church does, that's why the pastor is so poor :D Jokes aside, EVERYTHING we have, we are belongs to God - it's when we realize this we can give with a grateful heart.

• Members

I continually hear dispensational preachers use rules, laws, and promises specifically to OT Jews in order to try and convince their congregation they must tithe. They preach people must tithe or they will suffer the curses God spoke about to the Jews. Then they preach that if the people do tithe in accord with the Jewish law then God will reward them according to His promises to the Jews.

That's hardly a testimony for dispensationalism rightly dividing promises and differences between OT Jews and NT Christians.

There's a discussion that's already been started on this topic here:

I agree with Bro. John here about tithing.

• Members

My church does, that's why the pastor is so poor :D Jokes aside, EVERYTHING we have, we are belongs to God - it's when we realize this we can give with a grateful heart.

Absolutely, all we have belongs to God and we should view it in such a way. We should not look at our money and think giving a tithe and maybe an offering on occassion is what's required. We are to give according to how the Lord moves us, which we are expected to walk close with the Lord so we will know, and we should be as ready to give ten dollars or a thousand dollars at any time as the Lord leads.

If God's people follow the Lord's leading in thei giving, much more will be given than would ever come forth from a tithe.

• Members

Absolutely, all we have belongs to God and we should view it in such a way. We should not look at our money and think giving a tithe and maybe an offering on occassion is what's required. We are to give according to how the Lord moves us, which we are expected to walk close with the Lord so we will know, and we should be as ready to give ten dollars or a thousand dollars at any time as the Lord leads.

If God's people follow the Lord's leading in thei giving, much more will be given than would ever come forth from a tithe.

I seriously doubt that. God set it up that the tithe was sufficient, and He knows what he uis doing. Will you question Him when He established it in the first place? The problem, in my opimion, is that people reject the tithe and feel "moved" to give less when the bills pile up. And who's fault are the bills anyway?

So much negativity on here about a "prosperity Gospel" but God promises to prosper us when we properly honor Him
Prov. 3:9, 10
Psa. 1:1-3
Joshua 1:7 (for obedience, not merely to the law of Moses)

There are many more too. Prosperity doesn't always mean monetary prospering though, it also has to with success, etc, as in the case of Joseph--every thing he put his hands to, God made it to prosper.

It is not so cruel that He demands a tithe to keep his work going.

I've never heard "Dispensational" preachers go beyond establishing the definition of the tithe based on the O.T. After establishing the definition they go on to show how it is carried on into the Church age.

• Members

I've never heard "Dispensational" preachers go beyond establishing the definition of the tithe based on the O.T. After establishing the definition they go on to show how it is carried on into the Church age.

The tithe, like any other act of obedience in the OT was always rewarded by God blessing the obedient party or nation, we in the NT are not rewarded for our obedience with earthly blessings but rather with heavenly rewards. In the NT we give with a grateful heart out of love for Lord, not out of obligation or promise of reward - too many churches and pastors these days use the tithe law as a means of self enrichment and I for one am sick of the greed that has come out of the televangelism movement and others that use OT laws and promises to fleece the flock. As a person who understands dispensational doctrine I can clearly see that the 10% tithe is not applicable to the NT believer - we are to give EVERYTHING - not always possible or likely - but that's the way it is. I believe IMHO that those who push the 10% issue as an agenda are suspect and should have their financials checked.

• Members

There is no direct statement in the NT Epistles demanding a tithe from the Church Age believer. I agree to that. However there some other factors to consider.
1. Melchizedek. Abraham gave a tithe to Melchizedek BEFORE the Law was given. Melchizedek was the Priest of the most High God. Who told Abraham to give the tithe? Jesus Christ follows in the Melchizedekian line of Priests (not the Aaronic line), and Jesus Christ is now our High Priest. Should we not then follow the example of Abraham, who was before the Law, in giving a tithe to the next in line of that priesthood?
There was no law for Abraham to follow - just as there is no direct statement in the NT epistles for us to tithe. But this does not mean we should NOT tithe.

2. I don't know about the rest of y'all, but as a pastor of a small church, I am hardly looking to "enrich" myself. I would like to have the same privileges as the rest of you, and have a pretty good idea of what my income will be. The problem with following this idea of "just give what the Lord leads" is that it becomes too easy for the worldly, backslidden, carnal Christians to give minimally and sporadically. So how can a small church have any way to set a budget for paying bills, etc.?
And how can the Preacher have any idea of how to plan his own family budget if he has no idea what his income will be? Have any of you tried that lately?
The OT Tithe under the Law was to provide for the Levites. The Levites in turn tithed off of the tithe they received for the support of the Priests of Aaron's family. When the nation of Israel did not tithe, the Temple worship was abandoned, since the Levites had to spend all of their time trying to suport their families. See Numbers 18:20-32, Nehemiah 10:28-39, and Neh. 13:10-13.
The NT preacher is to live off his preaching - I Cor. 9:1-14.
Paul purposefully chose not to accept money FROM THE CORINTHIANS for preaching, but he was not afraid to take from the Macedonians (II Cor. 8, PHil 4:14-18).
Take this from someone who has lived it. IT is literally impossible to pastor a church, take care of a family, and then work a full-time job on top of that. What happens is the family gets neglected, the church is neglected (not enough time to pray, prepare lessons and sermons, not enough time to visit members or visitors), and eventually, the preacher gets so run down that he cannot effectively do ANYTHING.
It is the church's job to provide for the preacher - not so that the preacher can "get rich," but so that the preacher is not encumbered with other things, and he is free to study, prepare, preach, visit, and have time for his family.

I believe that if the OT required the Israelites to give a tithe by faith, trusting in God to stretch the other 90% to cover everything, then we as Christians who are NOT under the Law, but under grace, should be willing to give MUCH MORE than a tithe.
The trouble comes in when people start saying that we are not required to tithe others who are not very spiritually minded use this as an excuse to not give anything, or a little bit here and there.

And I would contend that we ARE required to tithe, not based on the OT Law, but by following the example of ABraham before the Law. Our tithe goes to the next priest in Melchizedek's line, our Lord Jesus Christ.