• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Theophanies

• Members

Why is it that at one point Moses could only see God's back parts, but then at another point God came down and actually met with him?

Why is it that his face shone and they had to put a veil over it, and yet when Abram and Joshua met God in person those sort of things never happened?

• Members

Why is it that at one point Moses could only see God's back parts, but then at another point God came down and actually met with him?

Why is it that his face shone and they had to put a veil over it, and yet when Abram and Joshua met God in person those sort of things never happened?

Likely it is the difference between the fully glorified Christ and Christ with his glory hidden.

• Members

I don't believe Moses was ready to meet the "frontal" glory of God during the first meeting. During the second meeting God had prepared Moses for His "frontal" glory but, it still left Moses physically changed.

Moses veiled, I think may relate to 2 Thess. 2:8 in some way, "...brightness of his coming."

Maybe Abram and Joshua were not ready when God appeared to them.

• Members

Joh 1:18 No man hath seen God at any time; the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him.

Have you considered this verse.

Yes I have, brother. Appearances of God in the Old Testament were the pre-incarnate Jesus Christ. No one has seen God the Father, not even Joseph Smith. :-)

• Members

We can start with Abraham:

John 8:
Your father Abraham rejoiced to see my day: and he saw it, and was glad.

Then said the Jews u
nt
o him, Thou art n
ot
yet fifty years old, and hast thou seen Abraham?

Jesus said u
nt
o them, Verily, verily, I say u
nt
o you, Before Abraham was, I am.

• Members

When the angels met with Abram before the destruction of Sodom, one of them was God.

Melchisadec may have been the pre-incarnate Christ as well, but the Bible isn't clear on that. He is without a doubt one of the most mysterious figures in the Bible.

Edited by Rick Schworer

• Members

Here's another for you to ponder........

Exodus 24:10And they saw the God of Israel: and there was under his feet as it were a paved work of a sapphire stone, and as it were the body of heaven in his clearness.
11And upon the nobles of the children of Israel he laid not his hand: also they saw God, and did eat and drink.

• Members

Here's another for you to ponder........

Exodus 24:10And they saw the God of Israel: and there was under his feet as it were a paved work of a sapphire stone, and as it were the body of heaven in his clearness.
11And upon the nobles of the children of Israel he laid not his hand: also they saw God, and did eat and drink.

Exodus 19:9 And the LORD said unto Moses, Lo, I come unto thee in a thick cloud, that the people may hear when I speak with thee, and believe thee for ever. And Moses told the words of the people unto the LORD.

Exodus 19:18 And mount Sinai was altogether on a smoke, because the LORD descended upon it in fire: and the smoke thereof ascended as the smoke of a furnace, and the whole mount quaked greatly.

Exodus 19:20 And the LORD came down upon mount Sinai, on the top of the mount: and the LORD called Moses up to the top of the mount; and Moses went up.

Exodus 19:21 And the LORD said unto Moses, Go down, charge the people, lest they break through unto the LORD to gaze, and many of them perish.

Exodus 19:24 And the LORD said unto him, Away, get thee down, and thou shalt come up, thou, and Aaron with thee: but let not the priests and the people break through to come up unto the LORD, lest he break forth upon them.

Exodus 24:1 And he said unto Moses, Come up unto the LORD, thou, and Aaron, Nadab, and Abihu, and seventy of the elders of Israel; and worship ye afar off.

Exodus 24:9 Then went up Moses, and Aaron, Nadab, and Abihu, and seventy of the elders of Israel:

Exodus 24:10 And they saw the God of Israel: and there was under his feet as it were a paved work of a sapphire stone, and as it were the body of heaven in his clearness.

Exodus 24:11 And upon the nobles of the children of Israel he laid not his hand: also they saw God, and did eat and drink.

Deuteronomy 4:15 Take ye therefore good heed unto yourselves; for ye saw no manner of similitude on the day that the LORD spake unto you in Horeb out of the midst of the fire:

Pondered.

• Members

Are Mt. Horeb and Mt. Sinai the same mountain?

Honestly, I myself hold to "no man hath seen God at any time" but verses like this call for an explanation. Did they perhaps see a bodily manifestation of Jesus? Because Exodus 24 clearly says the "saw God"....says it tiwice.
Thanks

• Members

They saw Jesus, He is the physical human-form manifestion of God.

The Jesus who walked on the Earth for 33 1/2 years did not look anything like the Jesus in the first few chapters of Revelation. It would stand to reason that the Jesus who showed up in the Old Testament probably didn't look like the Jesus of the New Testament, even though it was the same person.

When Joshua saw Christ, he was armed with a sword as the Captain of the Lord's Host.

I can't imagine how amazing that was to see.

• Members

Are Mt. Horeb and Mt. Sinai the same mountain?

Honestly, I myself hold to "no man hath seen God at any time" but verses like this call for an explanation. Did they perhaps see a bodily manifestation of Jesus? Because Exodus 24 clearly says the "saw God"....says it tiwice.
Thanks

OK take off the "Duet." reference. It's finished for me...they didn't see God.

• Members

OK take off the "Duet." reference. It's finished for me...they didn't see God.

John 1:18, "No man hath seen God at any time; the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him."

The verse quoted also explains the problem. No man has ever seen God the Father, but they have seen Jesus Christ who is God the Son.