• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

hardback or(vs) leather n' such

• Members

How come? I've had to glue mine up but prefer the suppleness and ability to keep Genesis or Revelations open on my desk without closing shut on me. Can the new hardbacks do that?

I do have a hardback Bible I put a lot of miles on back in the 90s.

Like you, I've never liked the difficulty in trying to keep them open towards the front or back of the book and unless they have wide inner margins it can even be difficult to read some of them when reading towards the front or back of the book.

The two main Bibles I use now are both leather.

• Members

How come? I've had to glue mine up but prefer the suppleness and ability to keep Genesis or Revelations open on my desk without closing shut on me. Can the new hardbacks do that?

I never read with a book lying on a desk. I am always holding it, which is what I prefer. the hard cover book seems to set better in my hands as opposed to being limp, as leather makes it. therefore the "flat on desk" point does not work for me. also, it seems that the paper is a little better on most hardbacks.
I guess it is a different strokes for different folks thing.

I am realizing that in fact I am the only one, huh?

• Members

I never read with a book lying on a desk. I am always holding it, which is what I prefer. the hard cover book seems to set better in my hands as opposed to being limp, as leather makes it. therefore the "flat on desk" point does not work for me. also, it seems that the paper is a little better on most hardbacks.
I guess it is a different strokes for different folks thing.

I am realizing that in fact I am the only one, huh?

You might not be the "only" one but people who prefer hardback bibles are few and far between. For "pocket" bibles at least i know my father also prefers a hardcover though. Beside the reasons mentioned another reason is it is hard to get as high a quality bible in hardback as you can get in leather. Edited by Seth-Doty

• Members

My wife has a leather bible with 14point font.

I lay mine on the table or lumpy desk (covered with papers and stuff) when writing and doing study. Otherwise, I too hold it in my hand when reading it.

Edited by swathdiver