• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Joel Osteen

Joel Osteen  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Is Joel Osteen a preacher or a motivational speaker? lol

• Preacher
    • Motivational Speaker

• Administrators

I'm not sure about this. It can swing either way. I think persecution and rejection can be ratcheted up too. Depends on how wicked the nation is those Christians reside in. 

Surely, persecution and rejection can be ratcheted up - I totally agree there. And it would depend on the wickedness of the nation. But change always happens - even if it doesn't look like it's for the better. 

• Members

Surely, persecution and rejection can be ratcheted up - I totally agree there. And it would depend on the wickedness of the nation. But change always happens - even if it doesn't look like it's for the better. 

I think in America it would be change for the better. America hasn't fallen that far away from her roots yet, IMO.

• Members

Even if all of Osteens church were filled with born again Christians that wouldn't mean they would be involved in or even effecting political change.

That said, I've listened to Osteen preach a few times and I've read his first three or four books. He does present the Gospel in the most basic form but beyond that he mostly preaches a motivational, self-help message which amounts to a very watered down version of growing in Christ. I noticed in his books that with each new book his message became more and more watered down.

Yes, Osteen uses Scripture, but not to the fullest extent and not always in right context. He leaves out much of what Scripture teaches, for the sake of political correctness and popularity, which hinders growth in Christ and limits the message of Scripture.

The way he preaches today, one could easily make a "decision" for Christ that isn't being born again but would give them a false hope and belief they are good with God. Then the watered down preaching on Christian living would help them to think they are good Christians when in fact they are still lost. That's one of the greatest dangers of his preaching.

Political change is always effected when Christians get right and people get saved.

As LuAnne alluded to, if they're saved the bible's way with a new heart and new desires, when it comes to politics they'll start to choose more Godly candidates and not these self-serving heathens that rule the roost.

• Members

Even with the amount of people in Osteen's church wanting to vote for more godly candidates (and we don't know how many already do this) that doesn't mean there would be more godly candidates for them to vote for; it doesn't mean they would all agree on which candidates to vote for, it also doesn't mean their votes would be enough to sway the balance of political power in Houston.

As we've seen time and again, especially on the Federal level, but also on State and local levels, born again Christians are not of one political mind, waver greatly when it comes to making up their mind on candidates (with many being fickle), and hold to a wide variety of views as to just what role the government should play, just how much and what kind of change they want (and what they want to keep the same or expand), and they refuse to work together in the primaries to get better candidates on the general ballot because they are divided as to what makes a good candidate.

The last two presidential elections have starkly pointed out the divisions and lack of core conviction and vision on the part of Christians in the political process. 

I probably shouldn't be, but I'm still amazed at the broad and deep divisions among born again Christians in regards to political philosophy, understanding of the government, Constitution, what's actually going on today, etc.

There are even IFBs who will vote for a Democrat simply because they believe the Democrat will protect whatever their pet benefit/hand out the government gives them. They ignore the unbiblical stances on "social issues" of the Democrat; they don't care what the Constitution says. When it comes to voting, they vote very much like many lost folks, according to what they believe will personally benefit them.

• Members

I listened to one of his sermons and it was the most edifying I have ever heard... maybe it was just "dumb luck".

Look, we have a mixed audience in the congregation, of non-believers, believers that have no "connection" to

the Holy Spirit, and then we have a handful of Spiritual Christians.  What kind of "message" should a "pastor" deliver?

• Members

I listened to one of his sermons and it was the most edifying I have ever heard... maybe it was just "dumb luck".
Look, we have a mixed audience in the congregation, of non-believers, believers that have no "connection" to
the Holy Spirit, and then we have a handful of Spiritual Christians. What kind of "message" should a "pastor" deliver?

That's easy - the message FROM THE WORD OF GOD that the Lord puts on his heart from his time in prayer and study of the Word.

• Members

We also need to remember the church gathering is mainly to be a gathering of Christians together for fellowship, worship, prayer and instruction in righteousness so we all grow in Christlikeness and we spread the Gospel and make disciples wherever we may be.

That is to be the main focus in our regular gathering together.

We should not change our preaching and music and timing and order of events and such in an effort to appease non-christians. Knowing that in virtually every congregation there will be some unsaved, good pastors fit the Gospel into their sermons and call the lost to Christ even while the bulk of their sermon is geared toward the building up of the saints for the Lord's service.

• 4 years later...
  • Members

Can one say he is an entertainer?  He is a ORU dropout that has no Biblical/Theological training.  He inherited the position after his father died.  The Osteens own the property in Houston.

• 3 months later...
  • Members
On 3/15/2012 at 9:35 PM, Wilchbla said:

I think Osteen's mouth is frozen into place in the shape of a smile. There is actually a neurological condition caused by smiling too much where the smile gets frozen into place. It's common among Japanese businessmen who are fake smiling all the time.

Yup I agree with you.

But Joel telles'em what they want to hear...and they want to hear they are going to get blessed and prosperous ......and although i dont like classifications and labels..hes all  the godliness is gain theology. No suffering and pain, just God will bless you if you come to my Houston church and put some money in the box to keep up the huge mortgage etc... or read my Osteen Books for a nominal

. People love to hear that they will be getting blessed and more prosperous in time if they just keep a comin...

Just my opinion from what I have seen, and Yes that smile is so fake...he even says he learned to preach not from the heart but from practicing before a mirror.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

The ONLY way your BEST life can be NOW is if you're awaiting Eternal Punishment. If hell is your next life, then yes -- your BEST life IS NOW.

Go to now, ye that say, Today or tomorrow we will go into such a city, and continue there a year, and buy and sell, [and get gain]: Whereas ye know not what shall be on the morrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapor, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away. (James 4:13-14)

But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which [God hath prepared] for them that love him. (1 Corinthians 2:9)

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead. [To an inheritance] incorruptible, and undefiled, and that fadeth not away, [reserved in heaven for you]. Who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time. (1 Peter 1:3-5)

Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world. And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever. (1 John 2:15-17)

REPENT, if your best life is now!!!

God Bless!

• 1 month later...