• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

How many hours a week do you devote to reading and studying Gods word?

How many hours a week do you devote to reading Gods word?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. How many hours a week do you devote to reading and studying Gods word?

• 0 hours
    • 1-5 hours
    • 6-10 hours
    • More than 10 hours

• Members

If this is apart from daily devotions, then I spend a lot of time in the Bible studying. I enjoy studying the Bible more then any other activity. However, there are some distractions from study. I don't mean the daily routine from family or living in the world. Take for instance daily devotions; I get some spin off studies just from that which cause me to delay going to the current study.

My current study I call "Love of God." a study in the Gospels. I'm following Christ's life as a man and his ministry up to His ascension. I'm following city to city, O.T. scripture confirmations and fulfillment, miracles, important events, and special scriptures (special to me). There are spin off studies which are nugget blessings within this study. I try to have a long study like Love of God every winter when the weather keeps me inside. Some side studies from this was the 12 Apostles who they were, the order called, and where they were from. Another was where Jesus stayed in Capernaum. There are more but I won't list them all.

Last year I did Paul's journey's through Acts that was a real blessing. I called this study, "Third Heaven," which of course is from Paul's discourse in 2 Cor. 12:2. I started out attempting to tell approximately when the event occurred and where Paul would have been. The study blossomed from there. This study is what caused me to desire a study of my Savior.

I believe prayer and devotions (I use daily reading through the Bible), Bible study, and sharing the Gospel to be the most personally rewarding activity I could ever be involved in.

Next will be a study of eschatology and the last things. Many years ago I studied this some but, for what ever reason I don't know where I left off. There are SO MANY threads lately here at OB about it I want to settle it for myself. I would have ignored it but ran across a scripture which compelled me. I'll title it "Fervent Heat."

• Members

Just something im interested in knowing, Do you think you need to spend more time than you are now?

Last year I spent 6-8 hours a day studying God's Word. Because of my infirmnities it's been curtailed somewhat this year but I'm getting a little better and back on track. I feel that I cannot learn the Scriptures and doctrines fast enough, so no, I feel the need to devote more time.

• Members

Last year I spent 6-8 hours a day studying God's Word.

Well good for you. If I was going to spend that much time every day for a year I think I could probably memorize most of the NT if not all of it. If you figure 7 hours a day for a year that is 2555 hours, and there are 260 chapters in the NT. That Gives you about 9.8 hours to memorize each chapter which should be doable. :icon_mrgreen: I don't have that much time(or a strong enough work ethic) to do that though. :bonk: Myself, I don't usually spend more than an hour per day, sometimes less. Edited by Seth-Doty

• Members

Problem for me is that my memory is going. I have to read and re-read and read it again months later to commit it to memory if I'm lucky. Have committed many verses and parts of verses to memory but cannot remember which chapter and verse most of them came from, very frustrating. My goal is to commit the Scriptures to memory like Jack Van Impe!

Edited by swathdiver

• Members

Problem for me is that my memory is going. I have to read and re-read and read it again months later to commit it to memory if I'm lucky. Have committed many verses and parts of verses to memory but cannot remember which chapter and verse most of them came from, very frustrating. My goal is to commit the Scriptures to memory like Jack Van Impe!

Its a shame, Impel has a wonderful memory, yet he left the truth behind several years back.

• Members

Its a shame, Impel has a wonderful memory, yet he left the truth behind several years back.

You're right, Jerry. I watched his show too and couldn't take it anymore! I fired the Van Impe's the same time I fired Hannity and Todd Friel. Too much error and not enough truth. I miss watching the crazy shenanigans going on in liberal churches that Wretched TV would report on but not at the expense of offending the Lord and falling into error and sin. Thank you Holy Spirit!

• Members

I don't devote a particular amount of time I just read my daily reading and however long it takes me is how long I usually read. I could probably afford to spend more time in His Word and also more time in prayer. I am thankful for at least this though. It always makes the generally "feel" of my day better if I start it in the Word.

• Members

I'm fortunate and blessed. I have as much time as I need to study. However, the memory problem has crept up on me. You younger men have a blessing too, memory.

Yes, I need to spend more time but, it seems the days have been shortened.

I’ve got a photogenic memory, just never have found the right developer.