• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

My Valentine

• Administrators

amblivion, I hope your FIL is recovering well from the surgery. And the first smile is a dandy valentine!

John, you're right...sorry about that. (and I do think first, second, third, etc...would be too confusing)

I don't think it's practical to try to change the names of the days of the week. Even the French names come from the same source. Tuesday in French is le mardi, which comes from dies Martis, which is Day of Mars. Tiw or Tyr was the Norse equivalent of Mars...
le dimanche simply means Sunday "Sun's day" - and it is named for the Sun god. Not the Lord.

Germanic, Latin, etc. - the names all come from pagan gods - the gods have slightly different names in different cultures, but they
have the same roots/meanings.

I have heard of homeschool groups who have created their own calendars and teach their kids different names for the days and the months...but to me (and I homeschooled and believe in separation) that simply creates people who can't always function in society.

My hubby made dinner last night. We had lasagna by candlelight. And then we just relaxed for the evening. It was wonderful. Like my hubby. :icon_smile:

• Administrators

Some Jews go by the Jewish calendar but they also are capable of functioning in the Gentile world with their calendar.

Myself, I don't see a need to change the calendar.

Yes, they do...but the difference is that the Jewish calendar is old and well-established, and people who are of Jewish belief are familiar with it, even if they don't use it. Individual families or homeschool groups who make up their own names don't have a tradition, nor do they have influence across the nation. Therein lies the difference. (and, to me, it could cause some kids to believe they are better than those who use the standard names...)

• Members

Yes, they do...but the difference is that the Jewish calendar is old and well-established, and people who are of Jewish belief are familiar with it, even if they don't use it. Individual families or homeschool groups who make up their own names don't have a tradition, nor do they have influence across the nation. Therein lies the difference. (and, to me, it could cause some kids to believe they are better than those who use the standard names...)

I agree, I see no real point to such things. Who knows, in a hundred years maybe some will be using a calendar homeschoolers created. Won't matter, that will be after my time!