• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Don't Spank Your Kids or They'll Turn out Like Rick

• Members

Our church provides a meeting place for a troop of Girl Scouts, the organization that provides leadership training for young girls. GS Pledge and GS Law: http://gstroop680.org/pledge.htm These girls have a great deal of learning/changing to do in order to live up to the law they pledge to uphold. Spare the rod and spoil the child is highly evident during and after these meetings.

From what I see in society today, you couldn't pay me enough to teach school these days. When I grew up spanking was common. Parents, grandparents, aunts, teachers, etc. had full authority to swat a bottom when a child was out of line. Even a perfect stranger could speak up and correct a child without fear of being arrested. BTW, our parents had a rule -- if you get spanked at school, you'll get another one when you get home. They meant it and we knew it. Thus, our parents never had to carry out that act of punishment. And that was without behavior modification medications!!!!

To be honest, I cannot understand how a Christian can teach in today's public schools. Its an ungodly atmospheric.

• Members

There's a difference between spanking and beating. Good parents spank in love, bad parents beat out of anger, frustration or just pure vindictiveness. I think that those that punish children out of love and discipline with the right reasons are few and far between. So I suppose that's why we also have laws that forbid corporal punishment. Protect the children and all that. I'm one of those that was spanked alot, single Christian mom with three kids. Most time out of love, others just pure frustration. I rebelled badly but like the bible says "Pro 22:6 Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it."

• Members

True, a big difference in spanking & beating a child. A parent needs to know when to spank, & when to just give the child a talking to. If done properly in their younger years after they get into their teen years spanking will only take place in extreme situations.

To me the problem is many parents just threaten their children, over & over in their younger years, & the children learn this. I see many of these children at Walmart, they seem to be always throwing a fit if father or mother don't buy them what they want. Its even embarrassing to watch.

And of course so many children comes from broken homes, & the children have learned how to use father against mother, & mother against father, & the children are very misbehaved.